Oblivion Super Characters

13»

Comments

• karmicRetributekarmicRetribute Aghadrumsee, Fermanagh, Ireland!!!!
    edited April 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    I haven't gone to the trouble of restarting a character for each main quest line ever time. But I am with you in trying to keep the game challenging. The key word is trying. It's actually more difficult to keep the game challenging then to not run away with it. I'm not even talking about twinking out a character, but just playing through with normally presented options.

Ways I've found to make the game more challenging are, easiest way, up the difficulty slider. Alternatively level up quickly without worrying about maximizing your stats. If you play the game without fully dealing with all the subtle bits it actually stays pretty challenging.

The biggest flaw in the story I think is how quickly they try and push you towards that first Oblivion gate. If you just follow the main story and quick teleport to locations you can hit that first oblivion gate by level 1 or 2 and it'll kick your butt. What makes matters worse (or better depending on your point of view) is that clearing out the first Oblivion gate makes more spawn and really ramps up the challenge factor.

That being said I think they probably should have tried to push your first Oblivion gate rush around lvl 10. It would have been a more normal spot for it I think. More normal then a 1st level newb rushing the gates of hell that is.

I agree with you and CB totally, i have never dishonestly boosted my main character, i got where i am with hard work and enjoying the game, but now like you say the game is not challenging anymore, also i've finished the main quest, the five guilds, the shrines, countless side qeusts, the shivering isles main questline and countless hours have been spent exploring the caves and elven ruins among other things and have accumulated over 160 hours playing time on one character, i want their to be more to do but frankly i'm all out, unless i want to map out the design of each respective area i've gone as far as i can go in regards to a challenging quest... I've tried to make a new character which is the antithesis of my current one so that i can gain maximum enjoyment out of repeating the whole process from a totally different angle. This is indeed quite enjoyable but i do find myself wishing i could just have the option to repeat the whole game again with my Main char you know? It would be a different thing starting the game with a completed character and facing Minator Lords the moment you leave the sewer. Just max out the difficulty slider and do all the side quests again, but alas this would probably have countless flaws i have not envisioned and it shall never happen anyway :rolleyes:
  • ErikNorthmanErikNorthman south D.
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for the comments ErikNorthman & karmicRetribute, that's exactly what I wanted to hear :)

I spent 41 hours on the main quest.

I've joined the Fighter's Guild, time to join the others then.

Your welcome. i like to help when i can. Im not really in any guilds other than mages and that was out of necessity, not fun. i think im going to join fighter's soon and Dark Brotherhood.
    edited April 2009
    I agree with you and CB totally, i have never dishonestly boosted my main character, i got where i am with hard work and enjoying the game, but now like you say the game is not challenging anymore, also i've finished the main quest, the five guilds, the shrines, countless side qeusts, the shivering isles main questline and countless hours have been spent exploring the caves and elven ruins among other things and have accumulated over 160 hours playing time on one character, i want their to be more to do but frankly i'm all out, unless i want to map out the design of each respective area i've gone as far as i can go in regards to a challenging quest... I've tried to make a new character which is the antithesis of my current one so that i can gain maximum enjoyment out of repeating the whole process from a totally different angle. This is indeed quite enjoyable but i do find myself wishing i could just have the option to repeat the whole game again with my Main char you know? It would be a different thing starting the game with a completed character and facing Minator Lords the moment you leave the sewer. Just max out the difficulty slider and do all the side quests again, but alas this would probably have countless flaws i have not envisioned and it shall never happen anyway :rolleyes:

Before i figured out how to boost my character, i had beaten every single quest line, from Fighter's to Thieves, and every single quest i could find. i maxed out every character i used and still found the game lacking. i wanted to be able to play with the difficulty all the way up as anyone would play with it normal, just as challenging. So, i played, and beat, the game with every race there is until i found that Nords suited me best. i tested and tested until i finally was able to make my guide and play with difficulty maxed as any non boosted character would play on normal difficulty. I understand your viewpoint, and i myself have multiple non boosted characters to play the game with. It is sometimes just enjoyable to be able to play as much as you want and not having to worry ALL the time about getting destroyed by monsters that shouldnt be able to kill you. i made my guide to give people to choose which style of gameplay is best for them, not push my opinions on others. I want people to be able to enjoy gaming at an advanced level with difficult monsters to fight and interested abilities and skills. It is all about perspective.
    edited May 2009
    Before i figured out how to boost my character, i had beaten every single quest line, from Fighter's to Thieves, and every single quest i could find. i maxed out every character i used and still found the game lacking. i wanted to be able to play with the difficulty all the way up as anyone would play with it normal, just as challenging. So, i played, and beat, the game with every race there is until i found that Nords suited me best. i tested and tested until i finally was able to make my guide and play with difficulty maxed as any non boosted character would play on normal difficulty. I understand your viewpoint, and i myself have multiple non boosted characters to play the game with. It is sometimes just enjoyable to be able to play as much as you want and not having to worry ALL the time about getting destroyed by monsters that shouldnt be able to kill you. i made my guide to give people to choose which style of gameplay is best for them, not push my opinions on others. I want people to be able to enjoy gaming at an advanced level with difficult monsters to fight and interested abilities and skills. It is all about perspective.

Im sorry if it seemed i was making a stab at your gameplay style i assure you i was not, i knew that anyone with a vast knowledge of the game would have to have played it many times from many angles and i see the appeal of playing from such an undefeatable viewpoint and i will most definately try it myself :bigggrin:
    edited May 2009
    OK question, what is the point of hrormirs ice staff and does anyone know its hsitory within the game?? is it some sort of mythical weapon the belonged to a pwerful mage of lore?
    edited May 2009
    Im sorry if it seemed i was making a stab at your gameplay style i assure you i was not, i knew that anyone with a vast knowledge of the game would have to have played it many times from many angles and i see the appeal of playing from such an undefeatable viewpoint and i will most definately try it myself :bigggrin:

O dont worry. i wasn't offended. I was just clearing up the fact that i wasn't just cutting corners in the game. It is an alternative style of gameplay that isnt for everyone, and i get that.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    So I know I'm probably putting this in the wrong thread but I accidentally ate a poison apple and survived the poison spell it puts on you. However the little poison icon is still showing despite its effects wearing off. The game isn't letting me fast travel cause it thinks I'm taking damage even though I'm not. Any solutions?
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Koreish wrote:
    So I know I'm probably putting this in the wrong thread but I accidentally ate a poison apple and survived the poison spell it puts on you. However the little poison icon is still showing despite its effects wearing off. The game isn't letting me fast travel cause it thinks I'm taking damage even though I'm not. Any solutions?

Start over.:jokke:
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    UPSWeezer wrote:
    Start over.:jokke:
    Nah Tiberius found me a mod/patch from TESnexus that worked splendidly.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    OK. That works too.
  • edited January 2011
    Erik Northmans' suggestions are excellent, but I wanted a super character without using any duplication or cheats and glitches. In other words, this is my preference for how to play the game, invest a lot of time, but come out with a great well developed character. Race: Breton, Sign: Apprentice, Class: Custom (INTELLIGENCE, WILLPOWER, Destruction, Conjuration, Alteration, Illusion, Blade, Sneak, Mystification (or whatever the "m" magic is, i forgot off the topic of my head.). With this build I have a pure mage character that has some combat and stealth backup (not really needed). Using the spell alter you can create a high level destruction spell that kills anything in one cast, even at maxed out level. (The spell is 100 damage health, 100 fire damage, 100 frost damage, 100 shock damage, 100% weakness to magicka, 100% weakness to fire, 100% weakness to frost, and 100% weakness to shock. For added fun I throw in some paralysis. Usually unnecessary, but every now and then a Goblin Warlord takes and extra hit with a sword. Just one hit though). Train up the max possible times at EVERY level, but train your minor skills, not the major ones. Use magic all the time. Enchant armor for fortify magicka so that you can increase your magicka for even more powerful spells. Using this build, I can use magick to fortify my combat attribtutes if I need them, or fortify my stealth if I need that. If I need to sneak, Illusion gives access to Chameleon and Invisibility, Alteration lets me open any lock without picks. This class has everything you need in pure mage. The one hit kill spell drains my magicka to empty after one cast, but my high willpower regenerates it in nothing flat. Not to mention the ridiculous amounts of Welklynd stones to be found lying around. I've spent a lot of time getting my character here, but it was a build I never had any difficulty playing as along the way and is incredible fun to just play as now that ive beaten all the quests.