Motherboard Dead - re-establish RAID

edited May 2009 in Hardware
Hi,

My motherboard died (GA-EP45-DS3R). I was running a RAID and would like to know what i need to do to reestablish it. The replacement for my motherboard is a GA-EP45-UD3R which runs the same chipset (ICH10R) so from what i've read it has a better chance of being recovered.

What problems can i expect? Is it just a matter of plugging the drives into the new motherboard and hoping it is recognised? Is there any other set-up i need to do?

Thanks

Comments

• DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited April 2009
    Make sure you have the floppy or an nLite copy in order to detect your array.

Also, it may be important to make sure ur BIOS and driver versions are the same. Lastly, make sure you have all the proper BIOS settings on and that connectors on in the same spot. (SATA1, SATA2, etc).

Good Luck and heres to hoping you found a solution already. :]
  • edited April 2009
    DrLiam wrote:
    Make sure you have the floppy or an nLite copy in order to detect your array.

Also, it may be important to make sure ur BIOS and driver versions are the same. Lastly, make sure you have all the proper BIOS settings on and that connectors on in the same spot. (SATA1, SATA2, etc).

Good Luck and heres to hoping you found a solution already. :]

Thanks for the reply. There's a two week wait for the warranty on my motherboard so i'll let you know how it goes when i get the replacement.

I marked the cables with the port numbers before i removed them so that shouldn't be a problem.:) The BIOS version could be tricky, since i am expecting a different motherboard than the original. Hopefully it's not too different.

The floppy you are referring to is the Windows CD right? Thanks
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    The floppy you are referring to is the Windows CD right? Thanks

No, they were referring to a floppy drive disc. Much different and not used much anymore. There should also be an option in the RAID bios setup for "detect" or "re-establish" an array.

btw
    this is why we keep stressing the point about keeping backups when running RAID.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited April 2009
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    this is why we keep stressing the point about keeping backups when running RAID.

Single drive back-ups.

The floppy I am referring to is the floppy you can create (normally) with the motherboard cd. It should be somewhere in the raid drivers section of the cd and there should be an option to create a floppy. This floppy is the one you will load when, after putting in the Windows CD, you press F3 to load third party drivers.

Good Luck.
  • edited May 2009
    Well the two week wait on the warranty became four weeks, but the good news is that i got the same board back and all i had to do was turn the raid back on in the bios and everything was back as it was. Thanks for all your help, i guess i was expecting the worst!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    i guess i was expecting the worst!

Hope for the best but plan for the worst. My advice is to get an external drive (prebuilt or case + your choice of drive) and keep up to date backups of the RAID contents. Next time you might not be so lucky.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    Hope for the best but plan for the worst. My advice is to get an external drive (prebuilt or case + your choice of drive) and keep up to date backups of the RAID contents. Next time you might not be so lucky.

Ditto!