External hard runs slow on second user account

edited April 2009 in Hardware
Hello. I have a WD External hard drive which runs fine using my Vista account. However when my partner tries to access it on her account it's very slow to respond or doesn't respond at all. Any ideas? Cheers in advance.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    In My Computer, right click on the icon of the external drive. Select Properties in the drop-down menu. In the window that opens, uncheck the box by "Allow Indexing Service..." Do that for both accounts and see if it makes a difference. Indexing on a large volume of data can slow down hard drive activity. It also wouldn't hurt to run defrag on the drive/drive's partitions.

That may not be the solution, but it can't hurt. Besides, I've found indexing to be more of a hindrance than a help in both XP and Vista. Others may disagree. :)
  • edited April 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    In My Computer, right click on the icon of the external drive. Select Properties in the drop-down menu. In the window that opens, uncheck the box by "Allow Indexing Service..." Do that for both accounts and see if it makes a difference. Indexing on a large volume of data can slow down hard drive activity. It also wouldn't hurt to run defrag on the drive/drive's partitions.

That may not be the solution, but it can't hurt. Besides, I've found indexing to be more of a hindrance than a help in both XP and Vista. Others may disagree. :)

Thanks for the quick response but that isn't an option in the Properties for me.