9800GT overclocking opinions/help

TvManPwnsTvManPwns Manitoba, Canada Member
edited April 2009 in Hardware
Hey all,

I have been playing around with overclocking my 9800gt the last couple of evenings and was wondering if i have hit a wall. Anything past the current overclock (look to sig/attachment) and it seems to get a bit unstable. I am curious to know if anyone has got anything past this and has been able to keep it from giving artifacts, and whether or not they have had to do any volt mods on the card to push it further. Temps are not an issue so far, they stay at a solid 75c on RT and fan speeds are set to 60%. I also have the dual slot card that pumps the hot air out the back of the case so i think i'm ok with the cooling front.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
-TvMan

Comments

• TvManPwnsTvManPwns Manitoba, Canada Member
    edited April 2009
    Opps, forgot to add screeny. Anyway, here it is.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    You need to voltmod to go further.
    edited April 2009
    Wow, quick responce! Ok, so just a couple questions with this.
    1. Are we talking softmod? I'm not to handy with the saudering gun (mind the spelling)
    2.If it is a softmod, where do I begin with this.
    3. Uping voltages will create more heat, do you think i would have any problems with that? Or if my 40% more fan speed enough head room?

Thats about it. I'm new to the whole idea of overclocking a video card, so any help is definately appreciated.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    G92 volt modding is hard soldered. If you have a reference designed card, here's the instructions:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182767

You'll probably want an aftermarket GPU cooler like this to keep heat down.
    edited April 2009
    Oh my, thanks very much for the info Buddy J. But I think i'm going to stay away from any kind of hardmod. My soldering handywork isn't very good, and wouldn't have the money to replace the card if I screw it up.

Thank you very much though, maybe i'll have to be content with it for now.