New P4 on it's way

edited August 2004 in Hardware
And it's supposed to be a real monster, 2.4c that does 3.5Ghz at default voltages so I'm hoping that with a little Vcore tweak I'll be able to push it even higher.
I'll keep an update here when it gets to me and I get it in and stable.

Comments

• edited January 2004
    This 2.4 has been run like that by someone or is it just a m0 stepping proc from a vendor?
  • edited January 2004
    I'm getting it from a friend that's buying a 2.6c to replace it (in hopes of getting an even higher OC out of it) and he's run it in his 865 Shuttle, booted into windows and run a few benches with it @ 3.5.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited January 2004
    :wtf:

Madmat... you're making me want to buy a P4... :bawling:
  • edited January 2004
    :nudge: I thought you already had one...
  • edited January 2004
    madmat, when you get it, post up your stepping and manufacture date.

I'm presently testing my new 2.4 m0 stepping and so far it's pretty darn good. It's stepping is a SL6Z3 with a manufacture date of 03/33. So far, I have it at 3.3/275 fsb at 1.535v vcore. I have to set the vcore .5 v higher in bios on my IC7-G for it to run close to default vcore as it undervolts by around .4 volts. I think I'm about to run into a mem speed problem soon though as I'm running the memory at 1:1 and when I tried to set it to 5:4 or 3:2 I just get a long beep. I'm going to try updating my bios and see if that will correct the problem with running the memory asynch on my board.
  • edited January 2004
    You have the cas latencies at auto? If so and you're running Corsair PC4000 or PC3700 and it's dropping down to cas 2.5-3-3-7 that could well be your problem, I can't get mine to boot with anything but 3-4-4-8 above 410mhz for the memory and even though at 400mhz for the memory it spd defaults to 2.5-3-3-7 it won't boot into windows and it'll usually start freaking out and locking up in the bios.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited January 2004
    the mem switches dont work at all on my is7, i've got some pc4000 ram on the way that ought to let me oc @ 1:1 though, so we'll see what kind of an oc my board can actually do.

also, madmat, i guess you dont have this problem but on MY board i cant set those settings. i get a no boot if i try to set cas3 ever (pc3500 corsair)
  • edited January 2004
    That's really pretty odd, have you tried a different bios? I could see it not posting because the timings were too tight but setting them looser should have no ill effects other than the resulting drop in bandwidth.
    What voltage are you running your memory at BTW?
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited January 2004
    To reply to your response to my post, madmat...

I do, but it's a 2.4GHz/400, and it's in my laptop. I was thinking more like P4-2.6C...
  • edited January 2004
    Very nice, I would've got a 2.6c when I was building this originally but at that time they were close to what a 3.0c runs now so I spent $190 on the 2.4c that's in here and it's an OEM proc, I think if I'd sprung for the retail version it would be better as I've heard rumors that the OEMs aren't as consistently good as the retail in terms of overclockability.
  • edited January 2004
    Well, I messed around with my board for a good part of the afternoon. First I flashed it from bios 17 to bios 19 and I couldn't reboot because Abit, in their infinite wisdom :rolleyes2 , deleted the settings in bios to disable the SI sata(I'm not using them and it lengthens boot time) and I couldn't get it to boot up because the SI sata drivers aren't installed. I then flashed back to the 18 bios in dos mode and was able to disable the SI sata and I got booted back up. While I was trying to figure out what to do with the 19 bios, I ran across a reference to boot troubles you mentioned, madmat and I went and set my timings manually instead of by spd and auto. I then booted up using the 5:4 mem ratio and started seeing how fast this proc could go. I presently have it at 3.5 at 1.725v on a 292 bus speed. :vimp: The proc can run at 3.3 on default vcore but starts needing more vcore the higher I went. It is Gromacs stable at this speed also as I've been folding with 2 instances. Overall I'm very pleased with this m0 2.4.
  • edited January 2004
    Trey cool man, glad that you were able to work it all out.
    That's a very sweet OC and your gaming performance should be through the roof as well...run a few tests with 3D Mark 01' & '03 and let me know what kind of increase you saw out of it.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited January 2004
    holy overclocks batman!

3.3 at stock voltage is pretty freaking monstrous. i mean seriously, a 900 mhz oc with no change in Vcore? i like
  • edited January 2004
    Madmat your avatar is hilarious :thumbsup:.

Those are some nice times out of the 2.4C's. Mine will go to 3.24 on stock voltage...but I'm using the stock heatsink :grumble:.
  • edited January 2004
    Well it's here and it's from Costa Rica SL6WF 331BA834-B518.
    I'm off to shut it down and put this thing in and see what it'll do.
    BTW, thanks on the av dak, I am glad someone got a chuckle out of it.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2004
    I should have my setup complete this week (finally).

3.2c
    P4C800-E Deluxe
    1gb PC3500 Mushkin lvl II

I will be using an SLK900u w/ either an undervolted tornado or a 92mm sunon. How hot did your 2.4 get @ 3.5 (or 3.3) with the slk800 mudd? I am going to try and push 233 fsb (3.7 ghz).
  • edited January 2004
    Cool, It should run pretty fast. I'm going to get rid of this mobo pretty soon so hopefully I can see this chip shine to it's full potential.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2004
    Well after reading a few articles, I think I would have been better off with the IC7-max3.
  • edited January 2004
    The ASUS is a pretty decent board in it's own right though...I personally like their boards but I'm just tired of that brown they insist on using.
    I'm going to try getting the IC7-Max3 for this thing...this Chaintech is a dog and I've had more than enough troubles with it to last a lifetime.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2004
    madmat wrote:
    The ASUS is a pretty decent board in it's own right though...I personally like their boards but I'm just tired of that brown they insist on using.
    I'm going to try getting the IC7-Max3 for this thing...this Chaintech is a dog and I've had more than enough troubles with it to last a lifetime.

Looks like its not doing too bad from your sig :P

I kinda wish I had a slower chip so I could push more FSB.

What are you using for cooling? And whats your ram FSB and timings with that corsair?
  • edited January 2004
    This chip in here has run in a Shuttle SB61 at 280FSB with the ram at 3/2 at default voltages.
    The highest I can get it to run in this P.O.S. board is 260FSB with the ram at a 4/5 divider.
    With the ram I'm running I should be able to run 280FSB with the ram at 4/5 and still have my ram within it's spec. speed (2x233) but this stupid thing won't boot at 265 or above.
    I tried flashing to the newest bios as I said in my thread "Need Advice" and it gave me an error saying "the bios lock string does not match the hardware" or something to that effect and dropped out of awdflash.
    There's some string of switches that need to be typed in to flash the bios but Chaintech doesn't bother listing them and I'm not going to try doing it "by guess or by golly" and hose the bios. That would mean that it was my problem, I'd be up a stump.
    I emailed them about the problem (I was less than glowing with praise though) and so far I haven't heard anything.
    This board has so far, killed 2-sticks of PC3700 and one of my WD-120 JB SATA drives when I updated the bios to rev. 3.0...yeah I went back to rev. 2.0 but this rev. leaves a lot to be desired, the ram won't run fully by user settings, the cas reverts to SPD settings although all the other settings stay at the user setting.
    This really screws up your OC's as the cas at 400-425 wants to run 2.5 instead of 3.
    I'm using a Koolance Exos with the Koolance 200G CPU waterblock and the CH-09 GPU block on my video card.
  • edited August 2004
    Well, this is a follow up to this thread...I got some very sweet ram from Omega65 it's OCZ PC4200 and I've got the FSB at 262 with the ram at 1-1 and it's completely stable, I can testify to this because last night I forgot to start my pump on my WC system, fired up the pc and gamed and surfed for over 3 hours with nothing but thermal convection flow to move the water :eek2:
    I've got the thermal shutdown temp set in bios as 65c after 4mins and it never shut down nor did I ever have any kind of instability so I'm pretty pleased I didn't toast my system or run into any issues because I know it had to be running pretty warm, I played Deus EX for well over 2 hours.
    Here's a screenie of where I'm at ATM.
    CPU.JPG 46.5K
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2004
    :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Madmat you got Heatware !!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: