Dell power supply problem

edited May 2009 in Hardware
A couple of weeks ago the Dell AC power adapter for my laptop stopped working. I sawed it open and a friend of mine tested the circuitry with a multimeter. We eventually realized that, despite having changed nothing, it was working again.

We put it back together, and although the power light is no longer visible, I haven't had any problems with the adapter until today. I noticed that it was no longer powering my laptop, and switched the plug to the upper wall socket (it was previously plugged into a surge protector in the bottom socket), which seemed to fix the problem.

Then the same problem, but changing the plug didn't work. I told my laptop to go to sleep, and just as it went to sleep the power supply came back on. Then after maybe 15 minutes it went off again. Made the laptop sleep again, with no result. I started fiddling with the plug in the wall socket, and noticed that the power supply would come on very briefly - maybe a quarter of a second - when the plug was about an eighth of an inch out from the wall.

After testing this a few times, I left it plugged in, and now it's doing fine. But I'm worried that it will stop working altogether. Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    You should ditch that power supply and get a new one from Dell or a compatible one from Craigslist. I would not trust that power supply any more for reliability or safety.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, you need to get another power supply. If it still doesn't work, the power connector on the motherboard may be bad. I know of several Dell's that the solder points were bad.