Magic: The Gathering tournament (1-5pm Fri)

NemikanNemikan Icrontian
edited June 2009 in Community
=======================
Participants
  • Colgere (Judge)
  • Winfrey
  • Q
  • Lincoln
  • CB
  • mertesn
  • Crazy Joe
  • drasnor
  • bindlestick
  • sharkydart
=======================

Anyone up for some MTG card gaming at the LAN? only worth bringing cards if there are people to play with :P

My personal collection isn't anything amazing. Primarily based off theme decks, I've tried to keep from spending much money on them. I use to play SWCCG a ton.... probably a few thousand spend there while growing up. I love CCGs but currently have next to no one to play with, would love to see how my decks hold up against others.

If enough people are interested, we can set some restrictions for decks to have them constructed before hand.

(Still not 100% sure about going, figuring it out as of now.)

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I haven't bought a Magic card in about 15 years. I have a few decks made but I would have no idea how to play with current rules.

-drasnor :fold:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Same... I use to be rather good and had a really great set of cards... until they were stolen. Never been back since then. If they are there and I'm not busy I'd be willing to play.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    If I brought all my Magic cards to the Expo I would rock your world. It's obscene.

Unfortunately, I too have very little clue how to play with the new abilities.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Aren't we lucky lads! The rules are available here.
    http://wizards.com/magic/TCG/Resources.aspx?x=magic/rules

You've got a few weeks to read up and throw some decks together. Get to it!
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I'm in for some Magic action. Like Lincoln, if I brought all my cards, it'd be ridiculous. Also, I'm up to date on all the new "abilities", and can gladly explain them to anyone as needed (however, if anyone plays a card called Humility, and wants to know the rules regarding that card, you will probably be beaten into a bloody pulp. Ok, not beaten into a bloody pulp, but I'm just saying.... :tongue2:)
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I'll bring a few decks if we have time to play.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    you should just do a draft to even the playing field.
    edited May 2009
    Oh man, a sealed-deck or draft tournament would be so epic, but it'd be a lot of dough to plunk down.
    edited May 2009
    I'm willing to pick the necessary product for a draft, but I'd need to know how many people would be drafting. I'd pick up the current block, since it seems no one has played it (from what I've read), and thus, everyone would be equally clueless about the new keywords and such, lol! In this instance, I would be willing to be the judge and such for it, and wouldn't play (since I do have knowledge of the new set). I suppose we might want to organize this into an official event and schedule a time for it, since a draft can take 3 hours or so to actually draft and play the games.
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I would love this :) if possible see if you guys can arrange it with wizards Lincoln?
    edited May 2009
    Nemikan wrote:
    if possible see if you guys can arrange it with wizards Lincoln?
    iirc, you need a certified judge for anything "official" and considering all of us barely know the rules anymore this seems unlikely :p
    edited May 2009
    Lol, you don't need a certified judge to run a draft, and as I am still current on the rules, I'm more than willing to judge and run the draft. I've run plenty of them before. :)
    edited May 2009
    I'd be down for a draft or sealed deck tourney.
    edited May 2009
    Other than cost, I'm up for the Draft idea.
    edited May 2009
    Btw, I'd be providing all the product, at no cost to anyone (just in case there were cost concerns.) All I'd need is a suitable table and corresponding number of chairs. :)
    edited May 2009
    WHAT? IN.

We shall convene during the "Board Gaming" time (2-5pm on Friday). Sound good?
    edited May 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    WHAT? IN.
    I figured that clarification would elicit a response. lol!
    edited May 2009
    Edited thread title.
    edited May 2009
    Adding participants list to first post. Say "aye" if you want in :)
    edited May 2009
    aye
    edited May 2009
    I would recommend maybe moving the start time to 1:30, and have it run till 5. This will allow for suitable setup time, the actual process of drafting (which can take longer than one might think at first, especially with a set none of the players have seen before), time for me to answer questions, and to allow for matches that go into "overtime." When I get home tonight, I'll type up the formal rules and structure of how the draft would be run, as well as the prize structure (Yes, I will also provide prizes :) ) . Post here if you have any questions.
    edited May 2009
    I shall move it back fully an hour (1-5pm).
    edited May 2009
    To clarify, As I will be the organizer and judge for this, I will not be playing (unless needed to have enough players.)
    edited May 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    I shall move it back fully an hour (1-5pm).
    Sounds good, am excited :)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I'll play. I love to draft.

We can use the boardgames tent for the drafting, and some of the matches (proly not big enough for more than three concurrent matches) since I wont be available to referee any boardgames during that time anyway.
    edited May 2009
    Where the hell is sharkydart and why is he not coming to the Expo?
    edited May 2009
    in... in case there were doubts
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    Oh man, a sealed-deck or draft tournament would be so epic, but it'd be a lot of dough to plunk down.
    I'd play that.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    In!!
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Colgere wrote:
    Btw, I'd be providing all the product, at no cost to anyone (just in case there were cost concerns.) All I'd need is a suitable table and corresponding number of chairs. :)

Explain plz? Normally you pay ~$15 or so for a seal deck tourny, and then keep the cards afterwards. How will this be working? Are you buying a bunch of sealed decks and giving them to everyone? Are you keeping the cards but letting us all use them? etc....