Magic: The Gathering tournament (1-5pm Fri)

2»

Comments

• ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    One note before I post my writeup later tonight, I'd like to limit the draft to 16 people max, due to the time constraints we have. Still plenty of space for now though. Thanks!
    edited May 2009
    Expo 2009 - Magic: The Gathering Tournament

Date: Friday, June 26th 1:00pm

Format: Draft

Cost: $0 (Yes, you are reading that correctly)

Set: Alara Block (Shards of Alara, Conflux, Alara Reborn)

I (Colgere) will be the judge for this event. If you have any questions during the event, raise your hand, call out "Judge", and leave your hand up until I come to you (cause I could be dealing with multiple questions at a given time). For the sake of keeping the tournament running smoothly and in a timely manner, all rulings made by me are final. :)

Draft Structure:
    1-8 Players: 1 table
    9-16 Players: 2 tables

The draft and deck construction will begin at 1pm. Decks are required to be a minimum of 40 cards, with no maximum. Whatever is not used in your maindeck becomes your sideboard. As this is a casual tournament, you may change the cards in your deck between games, meaning, you don't have to restore your deck to its initial build at the beginning of each match. You are, of course, limited to the cards you draft, plus any basic lands. After the draft is completed, players will be given approximately 20 minutes to construct their decks. I anticipate begininng play around 2pm.

The actual draft will be composed of 1 pack of Shards of Alara, 1 pack of Conflux, and 1 pack of Alara Reborn. The packs will be drafted in that order, and packs will be passed in a left-right-left manner. This means when drafting pack 1 (Shards), you will pick a card and then pass the pack to the left, for pack 2 (Conflux), you will pass to the right, and then for pack 3 (Alara Reborn), you will pass to the left again. I'll go over this again at the start of the draft, just in case. :)

Tournament Structure:
    Each round lasts 50 mins and there will be 3 rounds total. This will be a round-robin tournament, meaning even if you lose, you get to continue playing. Each match during each round will be played on a best 2 out of 3 basis. If a given match goes to time, the active player will finish his/her turn, and then the match will continue for 5 additional turns total (not for each player.) If the current game is not finished at the end of the 5 turns, that game will be declared a draw. The point value for each match result possible is given below:

Match Win = 3 points
    Match Draw = 1 point
    Match Loss = 0 points

At the end of three rounds, the person with the highest point total for a given draft table will be the winner of that table. In the case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be the head to head result (if applicable). The second tiebreaker will be their respective opponents win/loss records. If still tied, there will be a one game (not a whole match, just one game!) playoff.

Prizes:

Ok, the part everyone really cares about! :) Prizes listed below are per table (so if we have 2 tables, each prize is paid out seperately to each table.)

1st: 36 packs of current MTG product (12 packs each of Shards of Alara, Conflux, and Alara Reborn. This is equivalent to buying a box of packs)
    2nd: 18 packs (6 packs of each)
    3rd & 4th: 9 packs (3 packs of each)

I'd like to close signup for this by Thursday, June 11th. This will give me time to get the product, once I know the number of people taking part. I'm also going to answer a few questions I've already gotten below, and will update this as needed.

Q. Is this draft really free?
    A. Yes, this is not a joke.

Q. Do I get to keep the cards I draft?
    A. Yes, regardless of how you do, the cards you draft are yours.

Q. Do I need to bring lands, or will they be provided?
    A. They will be provided. I have plenty. :)

Post in this thread with any other questions you may have, and I will update this post with the answer. Remember, this is a casual event, so have fun! :)
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I'll sign up. Haven't played since Ravnica, but I'll give it a go.
    edited May 2009
    Oh yea, could we get the time for this event listed in the title of this thread changed to the correct time to avoid confusion? Thanks!
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Looks very agreeable to me :)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Holy shit! I'm studying up!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    Holy shit! I'm studying up!
    Me too....

What, no Black Lotus? No Mana Flare? Rock Hydra?
    edited May 2009
    No, but I have plenty of Spitting Slugs and Bone Flutes. I'm sure you remember to Twiddle those.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Me too....

What, no Black Lotus? No Mana Flare? Rock Hydra?
    Aw...I was gonna play my Power Nine deck...
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    How about Shahrazad White spell... :D
    edited May 2009
    QCH2002 wrote:
    How about Shahrazad White spell... :D
    This is one of the reasons for drafting, no power 9, no Shahrazad :p
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Aye.

-drasnor :fold:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    Bone Flutes

His favorite card mirite
  • edited May 2009
    I'm definitely up for some drafting.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Ben, since you are so awesome to set this up free of charge I will donate whatever cards I draft (plus if I happen to win) back to you to add to your collection. You already have what was my collection so what's a few more...
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    I'm in! :)
    edited June 2009
    sharkydart wrote:
    I'm in! :)

No, I'm sorry, registration is closed. :buck:

;) Where the shit have you been? :p
    edited June 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    No, I'm sorry, registration is closed. :buck:

;) Where the shit have you been? :p

My guess would be that the answer to that question involves a woman. :p
    edited June 2009
    Colgere wrote:
    It's always that... or WoW.
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Colgere wrote:
    Lincoln wrote:

:grumble: one of you is right on the money. :P
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Quoting Colgere
    Lincoln wrote:

even for Lincoln?!
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Just throwing this out there as an aside (and completely unrelated to the tourney), I've never really gotten a chance to learn Magic the Gathering rules and game play... well at least not properly, but it sounds like a ton of fun.

Wouldn't mind sitting down with someone for an hour or so during LAN that could do a crash course on the basics and maybe run through a round or two.

Any takers?
    edited June 2009
    pragtastic wrote:
    Just throwing this out there as an aside (and completely unrelated to the tourney), I've never really gotten a chance to learn Magic the Gathering rules and game play... well at least not properly, but it sounds like a ton of fun.

Wouldn't mind sitting down with someone for an hour or so during LAN that could do a crash course on the basics and maybe run through a round or two.

Any takers?

Sure, would be happy to do so. I'll make sure to make a couple decks that we can use.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Awesome, thanks Colgere :)
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    I'll help teach ya at the lan prag. We can play with some of my decks and show ya how it works. Generally speaking it takes about 2-3 hours to learn the basics. In my mind it requires 1-2 "tutorial" games. First I explain the basics of the game and how things work, then we play one open hand to show u how it works. Then we play a real game where u can ask me questions while we play to get things worked out in your mind of how it works. Generally after that you should be able to know how to play!

Although colgere is probably a better teacher than me :P