New Card, Terrible Performance...

slabbed11slabbed11 Houston, TX
edited June 2009 in Hardware
I used to come to this forum alot when it was called short media and it was pretty helpful then so hopefully someone can help me today.

I recently upgraded my graphics card to a PNY Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 1gb. The main reason i got it was to play FSX (flight simulator x) and now i can barely get 15fps with everything on the lowest settings. So i reformated and reinstalled XP and still i get terrible frame rates. Is this card just a pos or what? I paid almost 2 bills for it and i would expect something pretty good for that kind of money. If this card does just suck will someone please recommend a better card for around the same price?

Here is my system (the important parts):

AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core X2 BE-2350 (2.1 ghz)
4 gb DDR2 PC2-6400 400mhz
Geforce GTS 250 1gb DDR3
Windows XP Pro 64bit

Thanks

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Maybe you should try a previous drivers revision.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Just curious, what did you upgrade from? The GTS 250 is a rebadged 9800 GTX+.
    Leonardo wrote:
    Maybe you should try a previous drivers revision.

Yeah, the new 185.85 are out. Depending on what you have installed, you may need to upgrade or downgrade.

You could also go to command prompt and type in 'dxdiag' to get to the directx tool. You'll be able to check your drivers and see if there are any problems with your graphics drivers and system settings.
  • slabbed11slabbed11 Houston, TX
    edited May 2009
    i upgraded from some msi rx300hm which was what came with my system, it wasnt very good either on performance. i installed the 185.85 drivers when i reformatted everything, so i guess i should downgrade the drivers? how would i find the old drivers and what would they be called? i ran the direct x diagnostic and there were no problems.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Do you have enough power for that card?
  • slabbed11slabbed11 Houston, TX
    edited May 2009
    ya i just upgraded that to a bfg gr 550watt power supply
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    You did not state whether you uninstalled previous drivers. Uninstall the video drivers and use Driver Cleaner to clean out remnants of any old drivers. Install drivers and see how it goes.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    There's no need to uninstall prior video drivers these days. Look, I know everyone's a big fan of the uninstall driver business, but it's a pretty mythical suggestion. It's not like Windows is going to randomly load ATI drivers for an NVIDIA video card, because it knows that an ATI card is no longer there.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I hate to as this, but does the game have all the patches and SP2 and latest directx, I beleive 9c for windows xp 64 installed.

I'm assuming you would since the game usually tends to install dx during installation and if it connects to microsoft live gaming it should prompt to install a new patch.
  • MidnightFlairMidnightFlair Washington
    edited June 2009
    slabbed11 wrote:
    I used to come to this forum a lot when it was called short media and it was pretty helpful then so hopefully someone can help me today.

I recently upgraded my graphics card to a PNY Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 1gb. The main reason i got it was to play FSX (flight simulator x) and now i can barely get 15fps with everything on the lowest settings. So i reformated and reinstalled XP and still i get terrible frame rates. Is this card just a pos or what? I paid almost 2 bills for it and i would expect something pretty good for that kind of money. If this card does just suck will someone please recommend a better card for around the same price?

Here is my system (the important parts):

AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core X2 BE-2350 (2.1 ghz)
    4 gb DDR2 PC2-6400 400mhz
    Geforce GTS 250 1gb DDR3
    Windows XP Pro 64bit

Thanks

If you still have issues with the video card and if after trying everything everyone else said still didn't resolve your issue, you asked if anyone could recommend a better video card for around the same price. Since you have an AMD you also might have a AMD/ATI chipset. For best performance i would recommend a 1GB ATI 4870 due to the fact that the companies are essentially the same, creating better compatibility.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Did you plug the External power into the card itself?
  • MidnightFlairMidnightFlair Washington
    edited June 2009
    He said he got 15fps in flight simulator x. I think that would mean the power is plugged in.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    The OP last posted on May 12, pretty sure he got it fixed :)