What Linux Distro Should I Use.

SlickSlick Upstate New York
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Right now my server runs mandrake linux 9.1. I am looking for something a bit more challenging with a bit more use of the bash prompt, but something that a intermediate user wont have trouble to install. What do you guys consider?

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Slackware, Debian, Gentoo, or any of the BSDs.
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited June 2003
    I got freeBSD. Having trouble installing it but I will manage.
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited June 2003
    Wow...you might as well ask what car to drive, or which God to worship, or who to vote for. What are you trying to do, start a war??? :)

GENERALLY speaking, Debian is considered the most pure/stable distro, and also more complicated than Mandrake. I have no experience w. BSD's or Gentoo.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    A good thing to do is download all the of distros (Boy will your ISP love you) and try them all, then just fine which one you like the most.

NS
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited July 2003
    I am thinking I like slackware the best :). Good thing you can download an iso, because I would have had hell trying to pick out which boot disk to use. I understand now what to do without an iso, but I did not before.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Slackware is my Personal favorite too, but I chose Gentoo for my server because of the Emerge package system, compiles specifically for my system, complete build options and `emerge --deep -u world` updates every program on my system.

NS
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    Linux ISO.org

Free downloads of Linux ISOs and other info. MD5SUM as well to make sure its correct.