Is this a PSU or motherboard problem?

NYCDrewNYCDrew NYC(duh)
edited June 2009 in Hardware
One of my desktops had a melt down last night and I don't know why. It's a pretty old build, I built it about three years ago with this setup, and it never had problems. It has an Antec PSU and an ABIT KN8 motherboard.

Last night I put it into sleep mode as I do every night, but this time as it was going into sleep mode and the hard drives were winding down, it suddenly started to wind up again, then a half second later down, then up, as if it were struggling to turn on. I heard a little crackle and immediately turned off the APC UPS.

I smelled something like a circuit had burned coming from the case. I opened the case and looked at it and everything looked fine with no evidence of damage.

Naturally being a glutton for punishment, with the side of the case off, I turned it back on to see what would happen. It started to turn on, fluctuated and then shut off dead.

It not a crisis if the hard drives are still good as I was debating upgrading it anyway, now my decision was made for me.

Does what happened sound like a motherboard burning out, or a PSU burning out? I don't have another PSU available to swap out to test it.

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    It sounds more like the PSU fried. I would take it all apart, smell and visually inspect all compoments as you go. Most of the time when it smells like something is burning it turns out to me the PSU. Sad to say but I have seen this with Antec PSU's way too many times. They are fine for 2 to 3 years then out of the blue they just up and fry or just die. it is possible that all else is OK but I wouldn't put money on it. It would cetainly be worth a try to replace the PSU if it smells the worst before upgrading your rig. Then you may be able to recover anything not yet backed up.
  • UPSKingpinUPSKingpin Sir Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    I agree with Mt_Goat. I've heard the same noise a couple times in different rigs and it's always turned out to be the PSU.

If by chance, another PSU gives the same result, take a look at your motherboard. Check for any burns, cracked soldering or burned or busted resistors.