ATI 3650 crashes with Anti-virus

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited June 2009 in Hardware
Hey guys,

I built a rig for my parents which is giving my some fits. Any time you install a virus program you start to get graphical errors, BSOD, screen will freeze go black and then come back, and choppy graphics. Uninstall the virus program(AVG and Kaspersky) and it works fine. I called ATI and they said to reinstall windows, did not help. I checked the RAM and it was fine. Check the harddrive with CHKDSK and it said there were one or more errors on the drive. New hard drive does not work either and CHKDSK says one or more errors. In the past I had tried to swap out cards, and if I remember right it did not work. Tomorrow morning I am going to call ATI again, but in the mean time,, Any ideas?
E6550
Gigabyte P35 chipset
ATI 3650 512M
2GIG GSKILL
WesterDig 160GB HD

Comments

• Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited June 2009
    I replaced the video card and it did not work. I replaced the motherboard and is working so far.
    edited June 2009
    Just in case anyone was wondering. It was the motherboard. Still can't figure out why only a virus program would set it off. Any ideas?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    It could be the motherboard was providing marginal voltage regulation. When the antivirus kicked in, it put the the system over the edge of stability because of increased demand. But then, it seems like just about any additional program would have done that.
    edited June 2009
    Well, it works now so I guess it doesn't matter.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Some virus scanners will also scan for bootloader and MBR viruses. There are even a few particularly nasty viruses out there that target the BIOS. It's possible, I suppose, that the virus scanner could have been looking for a BIOS virus which didn't play nice with that particular motherboard.