New hard drive not recognized

edited July 2009 in Hardware
My hard drive crashed on my Dell Dimension 4700. I just got a new WD500GB Caviar Black hard drive and installed it. I tried to turn on the system and the system does not recognize the hard drive. I do not get anything. I googled around and most answers say to boot from the Windows XP disk which won't happen.
Any suggestions?
Thank you.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Does it appear in the BIOS?
  • edited July 2009
    I do not know what BIOS is.
    edited July 2009
    What screen are you seeing that has you convinced that the computer has not detected the drive? what are you expecting the PC to do?
  • edited July 2009
    I was hoping to get a start up screen. I do not get anything.
    edited July 2009
    That's because Windows does not come installed on a hard drive. It is a separate product that you will need to install yourself. You will need to use the Dell recovery CD or a copy of Windows XP to do that.

All the data that was on the old hard drive is probably gone as well.
  • edited July 2009
    I realize all the old data is gone.
    I have tried to start the computer with the Windows XP disk in the CD drive but no luck. I do not understand what I am missing or doing wrong.
    edited July 2009
    Ah, I see what you mean now. This link will explain how to boot from the CD: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080413164001AABh5r3
  • edited July 2009
    Thank you. I am having some cash flow problems and cannot afford to take this into the shop so I am trying to do this on my own. I appreciate your help.
    edited July 2009
    You're welcome! Thanks for stopping by Icrontic. :) Hope you'll stick around.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I am trying to do this on my own
    Which is precisely what Icrontic is centered on - tech community that arose from a bunch of guys and girls who enjoy working on and building computers. We've expanded into more areas since then, but that's still our genesis. And you're part of it now!

Keep us posted, DParker.
  • edited July 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    Which is precisely what Icrontic is centered on - tech community that arose from a bunch of guys and girls who enjoy working on and building computers. We've expanded into more areas since then, but that's still our genesis. And you're part of it now!

Keep us posted, DParker.
  • edited July 2009
    Update on my new hard drive. Not good news. After spending several hours and countless swear words, I gave this hard drive to a friend who is a computer repair guy. He tried his best to get this to work and he could not. Between him and me, we gave up and said the hard drive was bad. Most likely the hard drive was damaged in shipping. The box was all torn up when I received it. I am sending it back and ordering from another company.