Setting Up a New Hard Drive. Copy? Start Fresh?

UPSKingpinUPSKingpin SirElkhart, IN Icrontian
edited August 2009 in Hardware
It's been awhile since I've upgraded a hard drive and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do the following with the least amount of headache:

Set up a new 1TB+ drive as my primary, booting drive.
Use my current 320GB drive as a storage/backup drive.

I've heard good things about XCOPY and Ghost, but I like to keep my drives as clean as possible and, as such, I'm leaning toward backing up my current drive, then starting fresh with both drives. I'd rather have a fresh install of Windows, fresh registry, etc., but I have some concerns.

One concern I have is that I'm on a dial-up connection. Starting fresh would mean clean installs of everything, which would mean a ridiculous amount of time and bandwidth. Another issue: I don't have a working DVD writer to use for backups. But I do have enough space on my second PC to back up my sensitive data via ethernet.

So I'm down to the following options:

XCOPY or Ghost my current drive to my new drive; wipe current drive

Back up data on current drive to second PC; wipe current drive; start fresh

Format new drive and install Windows; copy data from current drive (minus Windows/programs/etc.) to new drive; wipe current drive

The third option is looking like the best choice (since I like to keep my drives clean), but I'd like to have some input from the community before I finalize my decision. Does anyone have a preference in the above mentioned options? What's the best way to do what I'm trying to get done?

Thanks.

Comments

• Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    well your biggest issue is dialup :\
    Second is it sounds like you are lacking on driver updates to start, I know they are quite large now a days, but even with 320gb I would keep a collection of the most recent drivers (being you are on dialup)

since you want to start fresh, you'll need to download those drivers, unless the cache and speed of the 1tb drive is much faster than the 320 it shouldnt matter which drive you install windows too, I personally would use the 1tb as the storage drive.

Being both drives will be in the same system, there really is no need for ghost or xcopy, unless your data is virtually everywhere on the drive, in which case this would be a good time to sort it out and organize that drive.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'd make getting an external drive a top priority. First, having both drives in the same machine makes it a kinda-sorta backup, not a reliable one. Second, during this process you'll only have 1 copy of the data. Tragic mishaps usually have uncanny timing.

That said, your third option is what I would do lacking an external drive.

I'd start downloading fresh versions of your apps, drivers, and any patch roundups you need before doing all this. If it's going to take a while, might as well do it on your fully-patched and working system rather than after the fact.
    edited August 2009
    yeah, backup = external, being another system, or remote location (DVD)
    which I currently fail at :\
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I would just buy an enclosure and make the 320GB HDD the external one.
    edited August 2009
    an external backup is only good if you remove it from your system after you make the backup, otherwise there is no need to put the drive in an ext enclosure.
    This all depends if you truly are going to use it as a backup only device.

I bought my ext 500gb to backup clients systems as I work on them, since then I have merged it into my full time space due to running out of space on my current drives. which is why my ext backup is fail currently :\
  • UPSKingpinUPSKingpin Sir Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

As far as drivers, I've got updated drivers for everything and I've saved the installs, so no worries there.

I'm planning to use the 320GB for media and setup files (music, video, application installs, etc.) -- everything I use passively. I've got around 180GB of the above mentioned media. I'm basically going to use a new 1TB for everything else. I just want to use the 320GB for extra storage and the occasional ultra-sensitive file copy/backup in case of hard drive failure. When I can get a new DVD-writer or tape drive, I'll make regular backups. I won't be using the 320GB for regular backups.

As far as external HDDs, I'm still unsure. I've owned three externals and have been dissatisfied with read/write speeds. I know I'm nitpicking, and in everyday use I'd more than likely not notice a difference from an internal, but it's not something I want to spend my money on right now.

Should I go with my third option, then invest in an external for backup in the future? Or would you guys recommend a tape drive or something similar? I work a lot with music and will need to make regular backups of project files for Cubase, FruityLoops and the like. Which is more fault tolerant and which can I physically store more safely?
    edited August 2009
    I would go with a ext drive, or a NAS with raid5.
    The raid5 could be located on the second system, though you do run the risk of a virus if that system is compromised.
  • UPSKingpinUPSKingpin Sir Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Excellent, thanks.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    UPSKingpin wrote:
    It's been awhile since I've upgraded a hard drive and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do the following with the least amount of headache:

Set up a new 1TB+ drive as my primary, booting drive.
    Use my current 320GB drive as a storage/backup drive.

I've heard good things about XCOPY and Ghost, but I like to keep my drives as clean as possible and, as such, I'm leaning toward backing up my current drive, then starting fresh with both drives. I'd rather have a fresh install of Windows, fresh registry, etc., but I have some concerns.

One concern I have is that I'm on a dial-up connection. Starting fresh would mean clean installs of everything, which would mean a ridiculous amount of time and bandwidth. Another issue: I don't have a working DVD writer to use for backups. But I do have enough space on my second PC to back up my sensitive data via ethernet.

So I'm down to the following options:

XCOPY or Ghost my current drive to my new drive; wipe current drive

Back up data on current drive to second PC; wipe current drive; start fresh

Format new drive and install Windows; copy data from current drive (minus Windows/programs/etc.) to new drive; wipe current drive

The third option is looking like the best choice (since I like to keep my drives clean), but I'd like to have some input from the community before I finalize my decision. Does anyone have a preference in the above mentioned options? What's the best way to do what I'm trying to get done?

Thanks.

I have been saying forever, for the data that really matters to you, the stuff you can not replace, photos, personal video, important financial documents, personal projects, you need to get that data off site. I do that through online backup services. On dial up you are limited. The way I see it, your best option to really be safe, as painful as it is, is to make disk backups and take them somewhere else.

Keep in mind, a virus, or hardware failure is not the only thing that can destroy valuable data. What about an unexpected flood, fire, theft of the machine, you never know, so back up the stuff you can't replace and get it to another location for safe keeping.