I apologize

SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
edited November 2009 in Lifestyle
... for falling out of the challenge recently, but my schedule has not been forgiving, and I have nothing to convert my RAWs here in the Netherlands yet.

It sucks and I hate myself, but I just can't pull the time.

There's my excuse. Why the hell have the rest of you stopped taking pictures?

Comments

• KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    No camera >.>
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I've been busy house hunting.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I just don't have time every day to spend composing photographs. When I was participating everyday, at the beginning, it was taking 2 hours, or so, of my day everyday. Taking a couple hours out of my day to do a photo each day was fun, but it was simply too much time.

I think it would be better if we only had one theme per week. We would get more, and higher quality submissions per theme.

For example: Yesterday was "churches". I couldn't be arsed to go on a church photo-shoot for that day's photo, but if it had been the theme for the whole week, then I would have made more of a point to try to find the time to fit in a trip to a church sometime during the week.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    ^ this
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I agree...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    The problem that plagues my entire life: depression and lack of motivation.

I started it, was excited about it, now I'm indifferent.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I've been busy with work-related nonsense this week, unable to leave until late. I didn't have the energy to set up the shots i want to take.

RE schedule:
    I don't think switching to weekly will change the participation. Maybe every other day. If you don't have time to shoot for all the days, you don't have to! You can just do one a week.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Just do what you can and don't do what you can't. I'm not sure what changing it to weekly will solve.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I like the every other day idea. It sucks when I miss a good topic that I have ideas but no time for.

I think reducing it to weekly would reduce the pace too much, and people would forget about it, but keeping it at daily will result in some people feeling under pressure to submit frequently, leading to burnout once the novelty fades.
    edited August 2009
    also

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ePyRrb2-fzs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ePyRrb2-fzs&hl=en&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    edited August 2009
    also

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:southparkstudios.com:155469&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="window" flashvars="autoPlay=false&dist=http://www.southparkstudios.com&orig=&quot; allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" bgcolor="#000000" height="400" width="480">
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I don't think it's terrible to post pictures a day or two late. I think the idea is more to be inspired by the subject for the day, and you should try and post it on time, but if you can't get it in, just post it a day late.
    edited August 2009
    Except for it's not Timbaland featuring One Republic, dude doesn't even sing other than that retarded background shit. Stoopid youtubes.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    maybe if you didn't go to bed at 10 every night
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Koreish wrote:
    Except for it's not Timbaland featuring One Republic, dude doesn't even sing other than that retarded background shit. Stoopid youtubes.

except, it's on Timbaland's album, and that song was nothing before he did the remake|remix with them.

the original

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fm0T7_SGee4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fm0T7_SGee4&hl=en&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    edited August 2009
    I don't think it's terrible to post pictures a day or two late. I think the idea is more to be inspired by the subject for the day, and you should try and post it on time, but if you can't get it in, just post it a day late.

I think it's cool to post late in general, but it seems that people are less likely to get feedback that way, since people have tended to put most of their feedback down in one pass when they peruse the entries for the category.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited August 2009
    The problem that plagues my entire life: depression and lack of motivation.

Exactly.

Okay, so, I think we're all spending too much time composing and too little time just capturing. Through your camera in your pocket (or your bag if you're shooting a DSLR) and keep in mind what today, tomorrow and maybe the next day's themes are. When you see something that fits somehow snap a few photos and move on. Don't spend more then 5-10 minutes on it. We can get back to pro-photography when we gain some more momentum.
  • DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I'm still gonna second moving the themes to every other day or so, like prime i was all about it at first, but with school and other events planned, i got burned real quick. I love photography, i have for a long time. but its kinda hard to remember to take a "good" picture every day.
    edited August 2009
    Changing the mechanics of the project isn't going to change anything. I think everybody's overanalyzing it.

If you want to take a picture, take a picture. Skip a day, it's fine. Skip a week, that's fine too.

Repeat a theme if you want. If you want to go back and take a pic you missed, go for it.

The only thing this project is for is to inspire. That is the only goal.
    edited August 2009
    Changing the mechanics of the project isn't going to change anything. I think everybody's overanalyzing it.

You don't have to agree about changing the scheduling, but I'm disappointed that you dismissed the concerns brought up here.
    edited August 2009
    I'm not trying to be dismissive. This is not something that anybody is forced to do. The core ideal here is inspiration. I personally don't believe that changing dates and "rules" is going to change inspiration.
    edited August 2009
    Forgive my dismissiveness of your guys' hobby but Chris is right. As far as I know none of you are making a living off of photography so wasting more than a few minutes for a photo seems a little crazy. If you get a great shot cool, if you didn't, well it is just a hobby. You certainly haven't lost anything by it.
    edited August 2009
    As an outsider who has not and will not participate in the photography thread (I'm bad at cameras), I bring an outsider's perspective.

Let's say you can only contribute once per week: Why not just shoot for a theme that's a week down the line? How is this in any way different from a theme that only comes once per week?

How does changing the mechanics of the challenge make it any better? Some can shoot daily, some can't; the current schedule accommodates all participants.

I didn't get a dismissive tone from Brian's post at all. I, like him, simply don't see what the big deal is, or how a weekly schedule is any different from a schedule people can already approach weekly.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I'm not trying to be dismissive. This is not something that anybody is forced to do. The core ideal here is inspiration. I personally don't believe that changing dates and "rules" is going to change inspiration.

I know, 100% that changing it to weekly would in fact increase my participation per theme, and make me more motivated to participate. I also feel that it would increase general participation per theme, which to me is very important because the themes with the most participation are also the ones with the most feedback, and good discussion. When I see that no one is making any comments (because there are only one or two entries per theme) it decreases my motivation.

I'm just talking about how it effects me personally, but I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way about it.

Sure, I could just pick one day a week to participate, but I would like it better if we all choose the same day.
    edited August 2009
    CB wrote:
    ... the themes with the most participation are also the ones with the most feedback, and good discussion. When I see that no one is making any comments (because there are only one or two entries per theme) it decreases my motivation.

This is my main motivation for wanting to tweak the mechanics.

Beyond that, however, choosing a setup that creates the most participation seems like a good in itself. Thrax, I mean no offense, but suggesting that people take photos well ahead of time goes against most people's nature. Outside of a sudden shift of people's priorities, I don't expect that reminding people to take photos days/weeks ahead of time will increase participation.
    edited August 2009
    Let's say you make it weekly. Potatoes are next Monday. It's Tuesday today. You either take the picture on that Monday, or some time during the week.

Let's say it's daily. Potatoes are next Monday. It's Tuesday today. You either take the picture on that Monday, or some time during the week.

What's the difference?
    edited August 2009
    I think that every other day is better because no one is doing every day. This lets us use 1/2 as many themes. It will allow people to better plan things, or take pictures that might have been limited by weather. You can have a day to brainstorm, and a day to set up / take picture.

We can discuss pictures taken every week on the weekend. This will allow people who are late in posting to get feedback too. Immediate feedback is nice, but I feel it squelches creativity by requiring you to take this photo only on one day, where time / conditions may not make this possible. People say "oh, i missed that deadline, no reason for me to try".
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I wouldn't mind doing it every other day, as it would give me a little bit more time to do pictures, but I do agree with Prime's point- this is just inspiration. Take the picture whenever you want to, and post it whenever you can.

I also agree with Thrax's point on taking the photo a week ahead of time. Since I have a film camera, I've been doing that. I took my food picture two weeks before it was due, since I knew it was coming.

That being said, I think the problem is more that people are getting overwhelmed with having so much inspiration, so every other day might be better.
    edited August 2009
    That being said, I think the problem is more that people are getting overwhelmed with having so much inspiration, so every other day might be better.

I actually think this is a pretty big part. People see all these things on the schedule and they focus on having to take a picture, get overwhelmed and then give up. Not that they couldn't just ignore the schedule, but it's hard to do sometime.
    edited August 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    What's the difference?

Whether or not you've been too busy taking pictures of peas, carrots, celery, and roast beef in the meantime. Although I'm not in favor of a weekly scheme, anyway.

I like Shwaip's idea about giving feedback on the week's topics during the weekend. Sure, people are free to do so any time, but having weekly discussion threads (covering 3 or so photo subjects) would probably encourage more discussion as the week was wrapping up.