Unique template for post based on user?

edited January 2004 in Internet & Media
I'm working on a script for vB3 where it will automatically make a new thread based upon certain parameters. What I'd like it to do is to have the first post in the thread (and only when this script/bot-user is making the thread) to look unique. I have no need for this bot to have any of the normal avatar box stuff, i.e. avatar pic, post count, etc.

Does anyone know I can do this? I'd ultimately like for the automated post to look like a box above the thread, as if it's not even part of the thread.

Any suggestions? Also I should mention that I haven't found a hack like this for vB2 or 3, at least not yet.

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    VB3 has plenty of conditionals. Read up on them over at the Vbulletin.com forums :)

I couldn't quote one off my head.. but Il look it up :)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Well, a ta guess... have the thread create call a subprocess-- make subprocess feed a double box around the text, and bold it if it is in first post, or thread is being created. Essentially, you want the quoting Shorty has sans the margins, with text bolded instead of italics, if for use here. That would be one way to make it stand out. underlining would have the problemmatic look of a link.... You could treat the first post as a user, a user who has no Avatar, and credit poster inline on top line of post if you want to get a pure plain box, but then the reply tracing would be off. So, easiest way is to reformat text, use user info as normal for the forum that it is for, and then you have emphasis plus reply tracing back to first post in thread and no confusion about who started thread.... That's my IMHO, you seem to want simple, use text and box specs....

John.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Ageek wrote:
    Well, a ta guess... have the thread create call a subprocess-- make subprocess feed a double box around the text, and bold it if it is in first post, or thread is being created. Essentially, you want the quoting Shorty has sans the margins, with text bolded instead of italics, if for use here. That would be one way to make it stand out. underlining would have the problemmatic look of a link.... You could treat the first post as a user, a user who has no Avatar, and credit poster inline on top line of post if you want to get a pure plain box, but then the reply tracing would be off. So, easiest way is to reformat text, use user info as normal for the forum that it is for, and then you have emphasis plus reply tracing back to first post in thread and no confusion about who started thread.... That's my IMHO, you seem to want simple, use text and box specs....

John.

I think he knows what he wants, what he needs is to find out how do to it....
  • edited January 2004
    Someone did mention template conditionals, I'm going to look into that soon. Not really sure what you're leaning towards Ageek, I'm only starting to look at the code behind vB, so a lot of that is confusing. I do know that it is possible, as I've seen it on an old vB 2 site.
  • edited January 2004
    Bingo! If anyone else is looking on how to do it, check this out: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75781