A sad day for Icrontians - the loss of an old friend

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited January 2010 in Community
I always hate making threads like this :(

Today, our friend Hu-Hot Mongolian Grill in Fraser, MI has closed their doors.

Hu-Hot has long been an IC favorite, and had rapidly risen up to the level of "regular stop at every event", joining the exalted ranks of Original Pancake House and Passage to India; graduating beyond "mere" Food Tour destination to a regular event looked forward to by many.

Here's to you, Hu-Hot, and your Cherry Wheat on tap (with a cherry in it!), your all-you-can-eat selection of delectable meats and vegetables, your hot waitresses (and cooks!), your reasonable prices, your huge variety of spices and sauces, and all the other things that made you awesome.

Icrontic salutes you.

Comments

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    :confused::mad::eek::( Hu Hot honestly wasn't my favorite, but I'll miss it. (Cherry Wheat on tap with a cherry WAS pretty great)
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    *sadface*
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    :*(

The cherry wheat made hu hot for me
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Awwww BOB SAGET
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Fashion Bug. Everyone in my family is disappointed as all hell. I'm glad I went there last Friday with some friends... :(

I guess we can go to Mongolian BBQ in Royal Oak. :/

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WWaLxFIVX1s&hl=en&fs=1&autoplay=yes"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WWaLxFIVX1s&hl=en&fs=1&autoplay=yes&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    :eek2:
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I actually had Maria all excited about seeing this place next year as well on the food tour :(
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Hu Hot... sad to see you go. I liked your food.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Hu Hot... I never got to meet you... but if you're anything at all like the other mongolian grills I've been to you will be sorely missed.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Hu Hot was truly a level above the other mongolian grills.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    was it mentioned - Sam Adams Cherry Wheat on tap with a cherry inside?
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    No, I think that part was just skimmed over.
    edited August 2009
    You see... you people say these things... but all I hear is "beer that still makes me nauseous but costs more...

EDIT: ... WITH A CHERRY IN IT"
    edited August 2009
    I was like you once. Then I manned up and drank it till it tasted good.
    edited August 2009
    There is only one beer which I have managed to drink more than a few sips of without getting sick.... Blue Moon, with the obligatory wedge of orange of course. Any other beer so far has made me turn green around the gills, so to speak.
    edited August 2009
    Alcohol isn't for everyone. I think liquor tastes positively revolting, and nobody will ever be able to prove otherwise. I don't know how many times I've heard "well you just haven't had the right kind before." That's horse crap. I've tried all sorts of whiskey, bourbon, gin, blah blah blah from a dozen different quality companies and it all tastes terrible.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    There is only one beer which I have managed to drink more than a few sips of without getting sick.... Blue Moon, with the obligatory wedge of orange of course. Any other beer so far has made me turn green around the gills, so to speak.

You're not trying hard enough. Get thyself to an IC event and we'll set you straight.

/beerogance
    edited August 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Alcohol isn't for everyone. I think liquor tastes positively revolting, and nobody will ever be able to prove otherwise. I don't know how many times I've heard "well you just haven't had the right kind before." That's horse crap. I've tried all sorts of whiskey, bourbon, gin, blah blah blah from a dozen different quality companies and it all tastes terrible.
    Me too except for Cinnamon Schnaps. I LOVE Jolly Ranchers Red Hot Cinnamon and that is what Cinnamon Schnaps tastes like in liquid form. Other than that.... yuk
    edited August 2009
    I used to love Goldschlager...we're not on such good terms anymore.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    almost died on this shit when I was visiting friends in philly many years ago

AfterShock.jpg

as of today, the smell makes me sick to my stomach
    edited August 2009
    edited August 2009
    Shouldn't that go in mixology GQ?
  • LincLinc
    clicks his stopwatch off
    We were able to turn this one into a drinking thread by post #14, but we can do better.
    Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    clicks his stopwatch off
    We were able to turn this one into a drinking thread by post #14, but we can do better.
    edited August 2009
    Almost positive this was a drinking thread ever since Cherry Wheat was mentioned.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Sad day indeed.

Was definitely one of my favorite stops every time I was at ICHQ.

:(

stupid economy
    edited August 2009
    I liked Hu hot but I prefer BD's... Just means we need to hit Passage to India twice every EPIC!!! :D
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    QCH wrote:
    I liked Hu hot but I prefer BD's... Just means we need to hit Passage to India twice every EPIC!!! :D

QFT.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    fatcat wrote:
    almost died on this shit when I was visiting friends in philly many years ago

AfterShock.jpg

as of today, the smell makes me sick to my stomach

I know quite a few people who have had bad experiences with that stuff, myself included.
    edited August 2009
    I kinda want to try it. D:
    edited August 2009
    I dunno... I'm pretty sure liquid cocaine was pretty good to me when I've had it.... my neighbor, however, it treated quite poorly.