What is overclocking?

SoulEvolutionSoulEvolution Toronto
edited September 2009 in Hardware
I am new to many things that have to do with computers, and im not really familiar with overclocking, what is it exactly?

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    In the simplest terms, Overclocking is the process of running a piece of computer equipment (processor, RAM, video card, for the most part) at a higher frequency than that which it is rated by increasing the underlying frequency being presented to it by the motherboard.

So, you could take an Intel Core2Duo E7200, which is rated to run at 2.53GHz using a 1066MHz FSB and clock it to 2.8GHz by increasing that FSB frequency (what we call 'speed').

There is a lot of complexity in anything more than the absolute most basic overclocking procedures. Most OC operations will void your equipment's warranty at best, and will destroy the device at worst. Additionally, overclocking will typically increase the TDP (Thermal Design Power) of processors, and will require additional cooling to achieve/maintain stability.

This particular forum is full of tons of information that can help you get off the ground with it.

Good luck!
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I am new to many things that have to do with computers, and im not really familiar with overclocking, what is it exactly?

A way to squeeze a little extra out of existing hardware. Depending on motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM used, type of cooling installed, all will factor into weather its a worthwhile venture or not.

Do you have a system you would like some guidance on? Let us in on the specs and perhaps we can make some recommendations on how to get started.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    "Overclocking" is like natural male enhancement for computers. It makes your e-peen bigger.

If you believed that, I've got a bridge to sell you in new york. Overclocking is essentially a method of fine tuning your hardware in order to achieve extra bang for your buck. As the previous posters have mentioned, it can be quite dangerous, especially if you don't know exactly what all the settings do. It's very easy to fry hardware, and it WILL void your warranty on any piece of hardware that was overclocked (for a normal CPU overclock, this includes RAM, motherboard, and processor).
  • SoulEvolutionSoulEvolution Toronto
    edited September 2009
    Well, until i become more familiar with this, i will probably stick with what i have now lol
    i cant afford to replace fried parts :P
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Heh, I can't afford to replace my parts either. As long as you do your research and know exactly what you're doing you wont fry any parts. Modern PC's will give you a nice BSOD before you do any real damage, as long as you play it safe.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I've been overclocking for 10 years, and I've never fried a part. Every component you can buy has a relatively standard threshold that users on the bleeding edge have already discovered. Unless you do something stupid, it's basically quite difficult to use a setting that will break something. The PC will just stop booting long before damage happens.
    edited September 2009
    either way, as this is my first computer, it is also a laptop, i dont know how it would work out, and im not willing to risk it at the moment
    the most powerful thing im running on it is combat arms, and its good enough to satisfy :P im not playing valve games on this, im good for now :P
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Ah, there's really not much overclocking you can do with a laptop. It isn't worth it.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Overclocking a laptop is generally a very bad idea. They're already pretty warm and don't respond well to increases in voltage.
    edited September 2009
    didnt think so :P thanks anyways guys! just wanted to know about it, now that im aware ill research more, for when i buy a new computer
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Another option would be to buy older generation, used compononets, and build a computer. You learn a ton about computer hardware and architecture that way. That is the best foundation for preparing to overclocking. I'd like to echo what Thrax wrote above. I've been overclocking since I built my first computer, 2000, and have never damaged a component through overclocking - CPUs, video cards, or RAM. I have though, destroyed a processor through inattentiveness when reinstalling the heatsink (the "cooler"). But even that is not likely these days. Older processors did not have the hard shell over the core back then as they do now.

But I digress. I realize you already have a fully functioning computer that meets your needs. If you get the itch to build a computer, we'll be here to help. That, incidentally, is what this site was founded on 10 years ago - building computers and overclocking.

of course, you could build a computer from new, high performance parts as well. I mentioned older components as that would allow you to experiment and learn on a small budget.
    edited September 2009
    I have about 3 old computers that run semi-perfectly, but i believe that my dad already overclocked them and i dont know if i could undo that to re-overclock them? :P
    i think it would be fun to learn about computers that way, and im glad the people on this site are here to help! this is the best forum site i have found! so far nobody is yelling at me for being unknowledgable lol
    edited September 2009
    nobody is yelling at me for being unknowledgable
    At one time or another, all of us started with a zero knowledge base. :) No one here fell out of bed one day and was suddenly a computer software or hardware expert.

Concerning the possibly overclocked computers - if it's overclocked, it can be returned to the default clock, that is, overclock removed.
    edited September 2009
    cool :) thanks everyone
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    asking that question here is like walking into the dog pound wearing a bacon suit. Talk about attracting attention.

And to further Leo's post, at one time or another we have each burned up some equipment overclocking. But if you take it slow and easy and don't get too greedy you can get some great results and learn a lot about your systems in the process.

Now let us tell you about folding............
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    edcentric wrote:
    And to further Leo's post, at one time or another we have each burned up some equipment overclocking.
    If you're me though, you burn up equipment just by looking wrong at it and thus have not overclocked anything for fear of explosions.
    edited September 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    If you're me though, you burn up equipment just by looking wrong at it and thus have not overclocked anything for fear of explosions.

I seem to be the exact opposite of this... at one point in my life, I accidentally ran a Pentium 4 in excess of 90 celsius for at least 10 minutes before I noticed... there was no damage to the CPU, which (to my knowledge) still works today.
    edited September 2009
    Wasn't that close to the average operating temperature of a P4 Prescott under load?

Well, no quite, but they were hot little monsters.
    edited September 2009
    It was a northwood. They didn't run quite as hot. :)
  • edited September 2009
    I never burned a CPU while overclocking among dozens of them since AMD K5 PR133. The only casualty was a lovely Opteron 165 which could not survive the IHS removal surgery.
    edited September 2009
    edcentric wrote:
    asking that question here is like walking into the dog pound wearing a bacon suit. Talk about attracting attention.

And to further Leo's post, at one time or another we have each burned up some equipment overclocking. But if you take it slow and easy and don't get too greedy you can get some great results and learn a lot about your systems in the process.

Now let us tell you about folding............

you were once a noob too.. idc if it attracts attention, helpful people answer me, thats all i care about
    edited September 2009
    I don't think he meant "attracting attention" in any kind of bad way. I think what he meant is that the question was fairly open-ended, and there are a lot of people who are into overclocking who frequent these forums.