Laptop Optical Drives...

edited September 2009 in Hardware
My laptop's DVD/CD drive has been making one heck of a racket lately. I'm thinking I might need to replace it sooner or later. However, I looked on newegg and they don't appear to even sell laptop dvd/cd drives. Do I need to buy an optical drive that is specifically designed for my laptop (Gateway C-142XL)? Or can I go with a more generic (probably cheaper) option?

On the other hand, I can currently run Ubuntu LiveCD with no racket but when I put in the disk to install Windows, my computer starts vibrating like crazy due to the optical drive. What could be going on here?

- sheep

Comments

• lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    fatsheep wrote:
    Do I need to buy an optical drive that is specifically designed for my laptop (Gateway C-142XL)?

Yes, usually. This is a part that unfortunately does not have a standard shape for all laptops.

As for the drive rattling, make sure the disc causing it is clean and has no cracks. If the rattle still happens, it could definitely be that the drive is simply wearing out.

If you don't use the optical drive a lot on the go, my advice would be to get a USB external optical drive. I realize it's not a perfect solution, but it should be a lot cheaper than having the drive in the laptop itself replaced.
  • edited September 2009
    Well the Windows installation worked. What's weird is the optical drive only makes the huge racket when it first starts spinning up (for like 15 or so seconds usually) and only with the Windows Vista disk. For most of the installation it was quiet...