Good Beer, No Shit: Icrontic visits Flying Dog

Comments

• poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Cliff, have you been to Clipper City? i figure you have, since they're in SoBo, and you brought their beer to the expo. :)
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I can't say I have ever toured the Clipper City brewery, but I have enjoyed a bottle from time to time. They also produce very fine product. Perhaps we will have to plan a future trip?
  • edited September 2009
    i was at Gonzo Fest and it was a blast. i was told that they do tours every Saturday....good times and good people.
    edited September 2009
    beer guy wrote:
    i was at Gonzo Fest and it was a blast. i was told that they do tours every Saturday....good times and good people.

Welcome to Icrontic Beer Guy,

Please register and check back with us. I plan to review some of the various brew from Flying Dog, and eventually Clipper City. You will find the love of beer to be very healthy among some of Icrontics regulars.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Every year at Expo Icrontic, one of my secret pleasures is discovering all the regional beers that people bring to my house. :rarr:

Clipper City Gold Ale was my private "best in show". I loved it!
    edited September 2009
    Every year at Expo Icrontic, one of my secret pleasures is discovering all the regional beers that people bring to my house. :rarr:

Clipper City Gold Ale was my private "best in show". I loved it!

Not that can of Natty Boh then?? ;D
  • edited September 2009
    I was honored to be your beer wench for the day. Can't wait till next year!
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Every year at Expo Icrontic, one of my secret pleasures is discovering all the regional beers that people bring to my house.

I have a mission. To bring Boulevard Brewing Co. "Tank 7" to ICHQ as soon as possible.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    fatcat wrote:
    I have a mission. To bring Boulevard Brewing Co. "Tank 7" to ICHQ as soon as possible.

Screw getting it all the way to ICHQ. Can we just get it released here in Missouri please?
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Screw getting it all the way to ICHQ. Can we just get it released here in Missouri please?

Screw releasing it in Missouri. Can we just release here in Kansas City?
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    That is some good info. I had no idea that one of my favorite beers is brewed in Frederick, MD. I tried Flying Dog, because I was intrigued by the art on the bottle. I've stayed with it, because it has flavor, body, and character. They have a great variety 12 pack with 4 kinds of beer that I always get. I can't recommend their brews highly enough. Thanks for sharing, Cliff.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited September 2009
    And here I thought Cliff had any taste in beer :)
    edited September 2009
    Chris,

I will admit, the whole craft brew thing can be rather elitist at times. Absolutely nothing wrong about beer that is mass produced in a Union Factory. When I go to a baseball game, I knock back a couple of Miller Lite's, there is nothing wrong with it. In fact the whole picture of guys swirling beer around in a glass, sniffing the head and taking a dainty little sip, kinda makes me sick, I would frankly like to slap people like that.

That being said, I love good beer, and I love supporting a local buisness. Flying Dog and Clipper City represent two of the best in my neck of the woods. What I find unique about Flying Dog is just its attitude, the way it approaches its audience, it really feels like this community of fun loving decent people that just want to enjoy craft brew on their own terms. The product is great, but the atmosphere at the brewery is totally non pretentious. Leave pretentious to wine drinkers (not that there is anything wrong with enjoying a good wine), my point being at less than $2 a bottle beer is and always will be about enjoying an accessible drink, its about sharing something simple, and that appeals to me.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Cliff,
    I drank some of the Flying Dog you left here today at Preacher's place (thanks!). That Imperial Stout was thumbs up. Pretty nice little brewer, and an excellent article!
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Had some Imperial Stout today myself at Preachers, Not bad I preferred the blue moon but it wasn't bad
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    It's really good to see real beer gaining in popularity in the US. When I came back to the USA after my first overseas Army tour in Germany in 1987, I remember the shock of the then-typical US beer. After becoming accustomed to full bodied, flavorful beers, I could no longer stand the watery beer-flavored beverages like Bud and Miller. We're making a lot of progress in America now.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    yea i went golfing Thursday, a guy come with a case of miller lite, had my first beer in a while, it blew balls. So tonight I had my first blue moon, and I think I have found my beer!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Miller Lite, Bud Light, xyz Light. Doesn't make any *&)#$%^ sense. That stuff is already horribly watery to begin with, before becoming light! Why not just drink lemonade?
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    Miller Lite, Bud Light, xyz Light. Doesn't make any *&)#$%^ sense. That stuff is already horribly watery to begin with, before becoming light! Why not just drink lemonade?

This ^
    edited September 2009
    I know some people that drink Coors light nearly exclusively. I don't judge it, but I don't care for it, my brother who can knock down a good pint used to say, Coors light, its the lightly beer flavored water.

Bud light is not much better, but I'm telling ya, as far as the heavily manufactured american light beers go, Miller Lite is not too bad. It's not a replacement for more refined brew, but it goes nicely with summer cookouts, its an easy drinking brew just about everybody can agree on.

When I am eating a grilled hot dog, I don't ask myself where the IPA or Stout is you know? Though Flying Dog does have an american style summer lager called Tire Bite, which I think might complement nicely and be a better beer.

The Beer Prime mentioned from Clipper City, the Gold Ale, that makes for a good summer cook out brew, clean enough, fairly easy to drink but flavorful with a nice hoppy aroma.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Coors light is delicious.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    Coors Light is a penalty beer as far as I'm concerned.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Coors makes Blue Moon.
    edited September 2009
    Exactly Prime, Blue Moon, Sam Adams, good beers, but not microbrew. Though, Bless Sam Adams for getting big enough that they could help Latrobe out when AB screwed them on the Rolling Rock deal.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    It's really good to see real beer gaining in popularity in the US. When I came back to the USA after my first overseas Army tour in Germany in 1987, I remember the shock of the then-typical US beer. After becoming accustomed to full bodied, flavorful beers, I could no longer stand the watery beer-flavored beverages like Bud and Miller. We're making a lot of progress in America now.

The irony though Leo is that in my experience many countries overseas will drink more Bud Light, Bud Ice, Miller Lite, etc than they will have their more flavorful local brews. While I don't mind those beers, I will rarely chose to buy one over a micro-brew. My one concession to a lighter beer are Coronas with lime. I still love that combo.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Yo Cliff, thanks for the leftover Douple IPA :D
    edited September 2009
    Sure thing,

Go easy on those, 11.5 ABV a few will tear you up.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    What about the champagne of beers? How come no one has mentioned that huh? Too elitist for ya? LMAO
  • <strong>Social comments and analytics for this post...</strong>

This post was mentioned on Twitter by primesuspect: Good Beer, No Shit. Icrontic visits @flyingdog and loves every minute of it: http://icrn.tc/bs...