How do I find the $ value of hardware?

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited October 2009 in Hardware
I'm cleaning out my techbin of all the things I don't need anymore. I've thrown away all he clearly useless items, and put the known useable items into a better storage system.

So, now I've got this big pile that sits in between. I'm still in the process of identifying many of the unmarked cards (sound, video, RAM, CPUs), but when I do get them IDed and properly labeled, how can I find out which ones are worth anything.

Is there an easy tool or catalog that I can use to look up the market value of old computer parts? or any other suggestions?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Excellent question, CB!
    s there an easy tool or catalog that I can use to look up the market value of old computer parts?
    In a word, no. Browse computer tech trading forums to get an idea of the general market. By "general," I mean the enthusiast market. Good trading forums to check out are [H]ardforums and Anandtech. Those two markets should give you an idea of what are good asking prices for your parts. Of course, don't forget our own marketplace, Icrontic's Deal Depot & Trading Post.

Depending on your local area, Craigslist can also be a viable computer parts second-hand market. You will find though, that usually the level of knowledgeability for computer hardware tech on Craigslist is not very high.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I tend to cut the price of hardware in half for ownership, then reduce it by 10-15% for each additional year it has been available at retail. For example: A $200 video card after 2 years would be $100, then about $90, then about $80.
  • mew905mew905 Saskatchewan
    edited October 2009
    new price -30% is what I usually go for. Pawn shops give you -50% usually (at least here), and sell at -15%, so you sit right in the middle, more money for you, cheaper for your customer.