Observations: Prolimatech Megahalems

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited October 2009 in Hardware
Prolimatech Megahalems - simply outstanding! :rockon:

In the last couple days I have upgraded two of my computers' CPU heatsinks (No. 3 and 4 below) to the Prolimatech Megahalems. I have not changed any settings in those two computers - same voltages, same FSB and core clocks, same case fans at same speeds, and same heatsink fans at same speeds.

No. 3: replaced a Core Contact Freezer - 15*C+ reduction in core temperatures under load (2 X SMP Folding@Home clients).
No. 4: replaced an OCZ Vendetta II - 10*C+ reduction in core temperatures under load.

Systems No. 1 and 4 are comparable in that both are running nearly the same vCore, both have the same processor and clock, and both have the same internal case temp and excellent case ventilation. The TRUE in system No. 1 is heavily lapped to flatten the base and the retention bracket is modified for extra base-CPU pressure. The thermal interface paste in both systems is MX-2. System No. 4's CPU runs 4*C cooler at load across all four cores with the Megahalems. I'm thinking about pulling the true and upgrading that system also to a Megahalems.

There's just no reason for a TRUE anymore, especially since the Megahalems is less expensive and requires NO lapping and NO modification to the retention bracket.

I am competely enthusiastic over the upgrades. :bigggrin: :thumbup

1. Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev2, Q6600/G0@3.5GHz, Seasonic M12D 850 PSU, 4GB OCZ DDR2 800, 2 X EVGA 9800GX2, TR Ultra120E;
2. Abit IP35-E, Q6600/G0@3.2GHz, Corsair HX620 PSU, 4GB G.Skill DDR2 800, ECS 9800GX2, Sunbeamtech CC Freezer;
3. Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4, Q6600/G0@3.2GHz, Cooler Master RS-850-EMBA PSU, 4GB Patriot DDR2 800, EVGA 9800GX2, Prolimatech Megahalems;
4. Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.1, Q6600/G0@3.6GHz, Cooler Master RS-850-EMBA PSU, 4GB A-Data DDR2 800, PNY 9800GX2, EVGA 9800GX2, Prolimatech Megahalems

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Megahalems is good. Dunno about your price claim. Megas I've seen are going for $80 while TRUEs are $75 with fan and even less without.

I'll stick with the TRUE Spirit for $40.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Buddy J, concerning those prices, I don't know where you've been looking. I got both of mine for $59 at Heatsink Factory with very reasonable Priority shipping. I've been keeping on eye on the Cogage TRUE Spirit, but am waiting for more user reviews. Site reviews have been very inconsistent. I also want to see if Cogage (a Thermalright brand) has inherited the TRUE's problems of wobbly retention bracket and concave bases.

I just checked, Prolimatech Megahalems is still $59 at Heatsink Factory
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    (Concave bases hasn't been an issue on TRUEs in quite some time).
    edited October 2009
    (Concave bases hasn't been an issue on TRUEs in quite some time).
    Well, that's good news. What about the wobbly scissors-type retention brackets?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I'm not sure what you're talking about. All the TRUEs I've used use the large and tremendously secure x-shaped screwdown plate.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Buddy J wrote:
    Megahalems is good. Dunno about your price claim. Megas I've seen are going for $80 while TRUEs are $75 with fan and even less without.

I'll stick with the TRUE Spirit for $40.

I got my megahalem for $59 bran new at performance pcs
    The link that you posted is to the black megahalems. The "megashadow" .....Its more expensive. Its 80 bucks.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=25418
    edited October 2009
    @ Thrax. The "scissors" reference was the fold-out, screw-down retention bracket for Socket 775. All three of the TRUEs I've had required a shem between (called "washer mod") the bracket and the CPU IHS to keep the heatsink stationary, to keep it from rotating. This is/was a very common complaint, at least for Socket 775.

pics
    edited October 2009
    Scissor style still exists on some products, but for 755 they moved to this. It's very similar to how a Noctua mounts.

8.jpg
    edited October 2009
    About time. Good to see.
    edited October 2009
    CogageTRUEspirit.jpg
    Cogage TRUE Spirit base.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    ^nerd
    edited October 2009
    Alright, so far, so good. Now test it for flatness, please.