Upgrade the Windows 7 RC to retail

Comments

• edited March 2010
    hey many people seem to be satisfied by this but i got a problem.. i have the evolution copy of build 7077.. and it shows the following

[HostBuild]
    MinClient=7000.0
    MinServer=7000.0

how and into what can i change this as everything is "7000"??????? pls help
  • edited April 2010
    pls pls pls tell me
  • edited April 2010
    I'm using an evaluation copy of win7 ultimate v6.1 build 7260. Purchased win7 home premium and have gone through the steps without any success. At first I was getting stuck at the home premium entry in the registry. Read on different sites it had to match what the installation dvd has. Tried HomePremium, HOMEPREMIUM, and then Home Premium (with the space, had to do a fresh installation on a separate hd to get that). The last one seems to have went the furthest since it took the installation from 1.5hrs to about 3hrs. Now instead of failing and giving me a compatibility report, it fails and gives me a message that 'this version of windows could not be installed'. It then restores ultimate. Has anyone come across this?
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    That immediately raises some flags to me, as the process went so smoothly both times I did this I am concerned there are other issues at hand. Format and install from the DVD.
  • edited April 2010
    I've changed the cversion.ini
    [HostBuild]
    MinClient=7233.0 to 7000.0
    MinServer=7100.0

no doubt, it works...
    but after a couple of hours, when I turn on my PC, then my PC back to RC version, not the full
    Please help...

thanks
    Joseph
  • edited April 2010
    more information.
    I am using Ultimate right now
    and try to upgrade to Ultimate build 7600.

thanks
    Joseph
  • edited May 2010
    Hi everyone.
    It might have been covered on this forum, but I haven't read every single word, so take this as my preemptive apology if I missed it. I'm exploring buying a copy of Windows 7, and wanted to double-check a few uncertainties of mine. I realize that the RC I'm running is 32-bit Ultimate. I've begun receiving the message that my version will expire in 'n' days, and need to purchase a copy. Will simply using an upgrade disk work to change to 64-bit, or do I need the full version?Also, do I need to worry about RTM/OEM, and if so, why/what is the difference? If I choose home Premium, what are the implications of not possessing the Windows XP productivity mode (i.e. Does it adversely affect playing older games)? Any additional useful information would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    You cannot upgrade to x64; you will need to do a clean installation. XPMode is only a loss if you have a program that won't run in Vista/7. If you're still playing games from that era, you might consider it.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Last time I tried to play a game in XP Mode, it was a miserable failure. I really doubt that XP Mode has the power to play anything more than Zork from my experience.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    It depends on your host hardware. You can tweak the settings for the image in XPMode. It's set pretty conservatively so as to have as little impact as possible on the host environment.

Even so, you're not going to be able to do any 3D acceleration in XPMode, so most games will be unavailable.
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, the 3d acceleration was what I was referring to mostly.
  • edited May 2010
    Well, my box is custom-built so in terms of hardware, it's pretty current. Core i7 @ 2.67, 6 GB ram @ 1033 MHz, Radeon HD 4870 DK... I guess I'm looking at Professional x64 full version then. Anyone know where I can get it on the cheap besides ebay (ha!)? I checked Newegg, and it sells for $268. I was told to stay away from TigerDirect. Suggestions? Thanks.
  • edited May 2010
    Or can I use the upgrade disc?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I would honestly recommend an OEM copy of Windows 7 Pro x64. You can get it for a fraction of the price of a retail copy and it installs without a prior version of Windows.

TigerDirect is totally legitimate, I will add.

Note that the OEM EULA technically says you can't transfer that license between systems, but Microsoft is more than happy to reactivate over the phone. I've done it myself.
  • edited May 2010
    Awesome. Thanks for the second opinion. Thanks to everyone else too.
    edited May 2010
    The upgrade would come with both a 32-bit and 64-bit disk. Not sure if that helps.
  • edited June 2010
    When im trying to upgrade i get this message... "Windows 7 Ultimate cannot be upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate. You can choose to install a new copy of Windows 7 Ultimate instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings, and programs. "
    Does anyone know what to do...
  • edited June 2010
    I'm posting this comment from my laptop which is still running the Evaluation Copy Build 7100. Didn't expect to be able to use it when I powered on this morning. So anyways... I'm thinking of going with the Full Retail Version of Home Premium. This is an Ultimate RC. Thinking that by the time buy the OS and install this one will be null, it shouldn't be a problem, right? And I did do a back-up of this one, but I doubt 'll be able to use it, correct?
  • edited June 2010
    So it's been almost a week and I'm still running the Build 7100. No major malfunctions. It now has a note under the EC, Build 7100 on lower right side of screen that says: "This is copy of Windows is not genuine". And every now and then I get a pop-up saying I may be a victim of counterfeit... other than that it's cool. I just bought a retail version of Home Premium. Do I just pop it in and install normally?
    edited June 2010
    The directions in the first post of this thread answer your question.
  • edited June 2010
    Hi thrax , its telling me this when i start my computer "to keep using windows back up your files then install any edition of windows ultimate" i have tried alot but don't know how to fix it so plzzzzzzzzzzzz help >> mine is 7100
  • edited June 2010
    any relesed edition of wi7 ok ?
    edited July 2010
    Hi, had a quick read through all the posts, someone did ask whether the win 7 trial for IT Professionals was eligible for this method, I dont think a clear answer was given.

Some clarity on, if this method will work, upgrading -Win 7 Trial for IT Professionals to win 7 pro would be great

Cheers
  • edited August 2010
    I'm trying to upgrade to an OEM Windows 7 HP 64 bit. I've followed the steps, but I cannot upgrade. It immediately tells me that it is not possible after selecting the upgrade option. I've tried various ways of typing homepremium for the registry, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference. Sure would appreciate your help.
    edited August 2010
    The instructions here were for upgrading the Release Candidate to the full version of Windows 7. Since your Windows install was an HP OEM, you already have the full version. These instructions do not apply.
  • edited September 2010
    I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate from my Microsoft MAPS subscription on three different PCs without knowing that I am only entitled to one licence. I now need to 'downgrade' two PCs to Windows 7 Professional for which I have 10 licences.

Can anyone direct me to an article where this process might be explained?

Thanks\
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    You can't do an in-place downgrade. You'll just need to reinstall the machines with the proper version.
    edited September 2010
    people just don't read this thread.
  • edited October 2010
    good day.. i have a netbook with windows 7 starter OS. can i upgrade it to windows 7 ultimate/professional/home?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Yes. You can use the Windows Anytime Upgrade feature located in the start menu.
This discussion has been closed.