Need help!

mrtiddlesmrtiddles Right behind you. O.O
edited December 2009 in Hardware
I can't find any good solutions anywhere online, so I'm asking you guys. I've been reading some of the threads on this website and you seem to have your ducks in a row. So this is my problem:

I have a Toshiba Satellite P205. It has Vista Home Premium, and it ran quite nicely for a while. Then all of a sudden, it stopped working. Ran the Recovery Disks. Well that was all well and good, except for the fact that now there's another problem.

Once I get Vista to show up, the "Applying final configurations" program pops up, and a few seconds later the screen goes blank, and doesn't respond to anything. As in ANYTHING.

Then, the most recent time I rebooted it I got the "blue screen of not-goodness". What it said (after removing all the verbage and useless "liek omg ur comput3r crashed ftl" crap): "STOP 0x0000008e (0xC0000005, 0x8C716BD6, 0x8A8C0898, 0x00000000).

I did many searchings of t3h interwebz, and nothing was helpful. My dad (computer genius) told me to get to the start menu, type in "msconfig", and hit enter. Then select the second setting (don't remember what it said, but basically it turned off all unnecessary applications on re-boot.) That did absolutely nothing.

Also, I added another laptop hard drive that was sitting around (making sure that was a functional hard drive) and replaced the original one, using the rebuild disks on that hard drive as well. Same exact effects.

So my question to you guys is this: What can I possibly do to save this laptop? Is there anything?

TIA,
mrtiddles

P.S. If you need any more specifics, they are readily available. Thanks!

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    If it's failing even with a freshly-loaded secondary hard drive, that points to a hardware failure.

The most common culprit, and the easiest to test, is memory. Get yourself a copy of memtest86 (it's free!) from here http://www.memtest86.com/ and run it for a while. It checks every sector of your RAM, and any issues with it will show up there generally pretty quickly. It's a standalone bootable disc, so things like corrupted OS files and the like will stay out of the way.
  • mrtiddlesmrtiddles Right behind you. O.O
    edited December 2009
    I downloaded the .iso burned it to a cd, and ran it on the laptop. I kind of forgot about it (I was busy doing other stuff), so when I came back to it, it had passed the whole round of tests 7 times. lol No errors though.

Any more suggestions?
  • DraikeDraike South Africa
    edited December 2009
    Have you checked that your CPU fan is working ok? Well, working as in cooling your sink and cpu. I had a fan that lost speed over time as the bearings failed causing major heat on my cpu. And then, "blue screen of death baby"...

The CPU can also be the cause of the blue screen should it have gotten damaged by heat.
  • mrtiddlesmrtiddles Right behind you. O.O
    edited December 2009
    I can't tell for sure whether or not my CPU fan is working ok. But I know for a fact that the laptop gets very hot very quickly.

The fact that the OS comes up fine and then the video shuts off leads me to believe that its not the CPU that is the issue, but perhaps something with the video. Thoughts?

(Oh, btw, I also plugged a monitor into the VGA port, and that did absolutely nothing.)
    edited December 2009
    Why I asked if your CPU is getting its share of cooling is because a CPU that is faulty normally buckles under pressure. So, on IDLE mode or boot up black screen, its fine.
    But as soon as it starts working hard at loading devices and drivers and programs, it gets alot of heat - should there be a fault in the CPU, it will give an error message, go blank, or restart your machine.

What graphics you got on that notebook?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Draike, you probably nailed it. It also would appear to me that the laptop is overheating.
    edited December 2009
    If you have any PC know how - strip - dismantle - break(dammit) - then I would open her up and see whats cooking. Just maybe your lucky and its just your CPU fan that packed up - or its JAM packed with dust and its moving to slowly. Or you could strip her and use the spare parts for toys at a childrens homeless village.

Sorry Buddy.