So I picked up 2 new items... Yeah I am crazy

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited March 2010 in Hardware
So I have decided to semi jump into the CPU cooling market. I call it semi as the system i got isn't really what i would remotely consider high end water cooling. In all I have seen many gamers getting there systems with this setup to run some nice oc'ing & with my plans to get to the new i9's roughly after launch I am just hooked like a fish for new hardware also with a rumor that Nvidia's new GPU's will be bigger than the GTX 295 I wanted to make sure I had some room to grow... Besides this case is just crying to be used for quick headsink swaps :)

On its way to my home:

Corsair Obsidian Series 800D - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139001

CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010

In all the CPU cooler was purchased for the fact that this case isn't known for the best airflow. While I took the advise of some and grabbed a few new 120mm fans (as the ones that ship just don't push much air) We shall see just what this very nice case can do :)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I can put one rumor to rest: The next-gen GeForce is a 10" card.

http://tech.icrontic.com/news/nvidia-shows-real-next-gen-geforce/
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    Thrax wrote:

Well, the engineering sample is, at least. No telling how long the multi-GPU cards may be.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    The next-gen GeForce is a 10" card.
    Yeah, OK, but by the time it's available the US will have moved on to the metric system, so the inches part is out, dude! Well, unless Nvidia rushes it out the door and renames the 8800-9800-2XX-3XX to 4XX something or another.

Sledge, I drool for the cable management you can do with that Obsidian!
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Thrax wrote:

Yeah that is just the Single GPU card... we will need to see what its dual brother layout will measure in at.

I am more excited that this case will make reviewing new hardware (especially heatsinks) very easy. Cables all nice and dressed up along with the huge access door to remove and adjust back plates.
  • SerpSerp Texas Member
    edited December 2009
    You're going to LOVE the 800D. There is so much more space especially if you are coming from an Antec 900. I went to an 800D from an Antec 1200, which isn't a small case to begin with, and the 1200 is not even in the same LEAGUE with the 800D.
    edited December 2009
    I am ready for the case to arrive to do my install

attachment.php?attachmentid=27946&stc=1&d=1260298703
    edited December 2009
    Damn you UPS... drops off the CPU cooler and not the case. (on different truck) looks liek this thing is so big it gets stuck with the UPS over sized delivery truck.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27947&stc=1&d=1260311589

I started putting together the water cooling system with the Noctua Fans (Doing a push pull system) As many posts say the Push/Pull will drop temps by an extra 6C-9C
    edited December 2009
    She is alive & beyond huge!

attachment.php?attachmentid=27961&stc=1&d=1260362117

attachment.php?attachmentid=27962&stc=1&d=1260362080
  • SerpSerp Texas Member
    edited December 2009
    Grats, very sexy case :D

What are your cpu temps like?
    edited December 2009
    Serp wrote:
    Grats, very sexy case :D

What are your cpu temps like?

I clocked the CPU up to 4.0GHz and have the system cruising around 39-42C @1.296v. Overall I am pretty amazed what the H50 can do. I know my Air cooling would keep the CPU idle at around 48C at 4.0GHz but it would also rise to 80C+ under full loads. The first test I did on this system capped the CPU temps at 67C while under full load for 45 minutes. I honestly think I can hit 4.4Ghz with this cooler, and will be trying int he next few weeks. My goal; is to break 26,000+ in vantage mark :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=27963&stc=1&d=1260363251
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    Damn, that's a neat CPU cooler. Next time I upgrade my proc I might just look into one of those.
    edited December 2009
    Damn, that's a neat CPU cooler. Next time I upgrade my proc I might just look into one of those.
    Same here. I've never had an interest in any of the liquid cooling options available until now.
    edited December 2009
    I swapped out the low speed hook ups for the Noctua fans and added another 120MM fan int he 2nd HD bay increasing the case cooling by a lot. Overall the idle temps took a nice drop.

Pushed her to 4.3GHz and kept the voltage at 1.34v seems to be running pretty nicely under idle speeds, but am willing to bet under full load temps would hit 70+C.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27967&stc=1&d=1260411012
    edited March 2010
    i finally added in the rest of the items I wanted into my system... Snapped some images as I think she turned out okay in the long run.

CPU: Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz
    CPU Cooling: Corsair H50 Water Cooler
    Motherboard: EVGA X58 3xway SLI Classified
    Graphic Cards: EVGA GTX 295 & EVGA 9800GTX+ for PhysX
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 3x2GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D Case
    Power Supply: Corsair 1000Watt PSU
    Hard Drives: OCZ Vortex 60GB & 30GB SSD + 2TB of Misc drives.

DSC00367.jpg

DSC00369.jpg

DSC00374.jpg

DSC00376.jpg
  • edited March 2010
    mamma mia!!! :respect:
    edited March 2010
    Nice!