ATI 5970 drivers crashing in Windows 7 64bit

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited January 2011 in Hardware
So I have ran into a problem I mentioned before, but it would be nice if we could dig in and really figure out what might be the problem.

This Issue:
ATI drivers for the 5970 stopped working int he windows environment when running basic apps outside of games. (running just firefox or sitting idle etc...) but the odd thing is when the system is running a 3d app or game it will not crash at all.

The graphics card runs all benchmarks without any issues and performs where it should.

I have tried disabling features of the card in CCC to see if that fixed anything, overall the issue still happens.

I should mention this problem has happened with all the current drivers for the 5970. I have found a few other threads around the web posting about the same issue, usually with other users with the same problem chiming in.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Its pretty bad that I have to run a game in the background just to keep my system from crashing the video drivers.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Have the ATI guys had anything to say on Twitter?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    What's the status on your chipset drivers? Have you installed the Catalyst 9.12 hotfix?
    edited January 2010
    The response form the ATI guys was "We have not heard anything" but searches online show many 5970 owners with this issue within Windows 7.

I have applied the Hotfix & even did a fresh install with Windows 7 thinking maybe the Nvidia drivers I had didn't get cleaned all the way. I rolled back to the original beta drivers and the issues got worse.

Also bios and chipset drivers all all current.
  • edited January 2010
    Ok, So I've been having issues with the ATI 5970 crashing..and I checked the event viewer to see what the problem is. Turns out I had an issue with cdrbsdrv.SYS. Its a filter built into imgburn, but it kept having a "compatibility" issue, then a second later, I get a crash. Thinking it was unrelated, but completely frustrated :confused: I decided to get rid of it there and in the registry.

I'm crossing my fingers, but since then, stable system. I might even O.C.! :)

Anyway...what to take away from this:

Check your event viewer and see what is an error before your machine locks up. At least its something proactive instead of waiting for ATI to release 10.1...right?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    schwiing, thanks for posting your solution (cross fingers) here. Stick around!
    edited January 2010
    schwiing wrote:
    Ok, So I've been having issues with the ATI 5970 crashing..and I checked the event viewer to see what the problem is. Turns out I had an issue with cdrbsdrv.SYS. Its a filter built into imgburn, but it kept having a "compatibility" issue, then a second later, I get a crash. Thinking it was unrelated, but completely frustrated :confused: I decided to get rid of it there and in the registry.

I'm crossing my fingers, but since then, stable system. I might even O.C.! :)

Anyway...what to take away from this:

Check your event viewer and see what is an error before your machine locks up. At least its something proactive instead of waiting for ATI to release 10.1...right?

I will give it a try when I have some free time. Right now I am running 2 Nvidia GTX 295's which are chugging along very nicely.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    2 Nvidia GTX 295's which are chugging along very nicely
    I salivate for GTX 295s to use for Folding@Home. When the *next generation of Nvidia tech pushes the prices down on the used 295s, I'll start replacing my 9800GX2s for 295s.

Wish I had advice for the ATI hot rods, but it's been a while since I had ATI graphics cards.

*only the Good Lord knows when that will happen :rolleyes2
  • edited March 2010
    The response form the ATI guys was "We have not heard anything" but searches online show many 5970 owners with this issue within Windows 7.

I have applied the Hotfix & even did a fresh install with Windows 7 thinking maybe the Nvidia drivers I had didn't get cleaned all the way. I rolled back to the original beta drivers and the issues got worse.

Also bios and chipset drivers all all current.

Is very funny with "We have not heard anything". I bought my card 2 days ago:

- Windows 7 32bit - green grid on the screen every x minutes and drivers stop responde lucky if windows can reset drivers, unlucky when it get crash.
    - Windows XP - lucky if totally system crash comes after x minutes, unlucky (usually) it comes after logon.

If something hardly using card (some game) than is no problem, card works normal without any problems, so I don't belive in ATI stories about "check RAM" "check power" etc. bullshit if this is other parts problem than especially when card is hardly loaded with some game this will happen but here everything comes only when we working on windows enviorement with basics apps.

I don't know maybe solution today is to run something which give a little work for card and than we can use windows without any problem.

WBR
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I have the same problem when I use full screen streaming video and same as you, my response from ATI was "We have not heard anything."
    edited March 2010
    Overall ATI's drivers are still bad on these cards. But in fairness Nvidia had a small issue with new drivers. But at least they fessed up & pulled the drivers & their products work with the previous versions.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Heh... small consolation for the people who had their hardware fried by the bad nvidia drivers. To be fair though, consumer graphics drivers seem to be quite shitty all around these days. I think the attempt to make a unified driver that covers all cards has resulted in a code base that's simply too large to manage. Perhaps they should go back to days of having a different driver package for each major revision?
  • edited March 2010
    I found solution for my problem with drivers which means:

Any new drivers - stay away this is buggy and shitty.
    Old drivers - goood :)

I just install drivers from CD which I get with my 5970 card, this install old drivers with date 2009-12 and everything seems to works good, better is stay with very old drivers and have stable OS.

So solution is to grab your drivers CD or look in ATI site for drivers from 2009-12.

WBR
  • edited January 2011
    This is the official work around from Sapphire and FROM Dell:
    1. Download the lastest ATI Catalast Driver package to your desktop
    2. run it and allow it to create an ATI folder at c: drive
    3. CANCEL the installation after you see it unpackage all the files to root
    4. (we just want the setup files)
    5. Go to your c: drive and look for an ATI folder
    6. in the ATI folder it created a new support folder--open this
    7. OPEN the the ATI named driver folder itself
    8. NOW open the Config folder
    9. LOOK for the installmgr.cfg file and open it using notepad

Change the "Work Around" option at the bottom to "True" and save.

Run the SETUP from the Downloaded folder at root. Don't use the installer on your desktop. Use the setup folder in the c: drive folder!!

It would all be easy if ATI just sent out it drivers so that "workaround" is always true!
    So I have ran into a problem I mentioned before, but it would be nice if we could dig in and really figure out what might be the problem.

This Issue:
    ATI drivers for the 5970 stopped working int he windows environment when running basic apps outside of games. (running just firefox or sitting idle etc...) but the odd thing is when the system is running a 3d app or game it will not crash at all.

The graphics card runs all benchmarks without any issues and performs where it should.

I have tried disabling features of the card in CCC to see if that fixed anything, overall the issue still happens.

I should mention this problem has happened with all the current drivers for the 5970. I have found a few other threads around the web posting about the same issue, usually with other users with the same problem chiming in.