Any good mods for the Antec 300?

edited January 2010 in Hardware
i have an antec 300 and i was just wondering if you guys/girls know any good mods.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    1. Being a bag fan of windowed cases, I'd cut a window on the side. Recommended tools: Dremel or equivalent high RPM rotary tool, reciprocating saw (jigsaw), metal-cutting blades. If you haven't cut a window before or are new to metal cutting, I'd suggest trying to find an old junker case for free (school district sale, Craigslist, or such) and practicing.

2. Cut out the the honeycomb exhaust fan port on the back of the case and install a circular wire guard - better airflow and looks nice.

3. Remove the honeycomb grills for two front intakes as well.

4. If you pack a couple hot video cards into the case and the bottom card is too close to the PSU, it can draw in hot air from the card, causing the PSU cooling fan to go high-RPM and get really buzzy. Solution: cut an intake hole directly below the PSU and flip the PSU so it draws in cool, room-temperature air. This is not advisable though, if your case sits right above the floor, as the PSU would draw in lots of dust and lint.

OK, to be honest, those honeycomb grills, front and back, look to be minimal in mass, so they probably don't impede airflow much. I just have an obsessive routine of cutting out stamped grills on new cases. I suppose that's because of case modding years ago when very few cases were designed well for optimum airflow. What a world of difference in cases now from ten years ago!