HP PAVILLION DV8000

edited January 2010 in Hardware
My hp pavillion dv8000, yes it is 4 years old, trying to update for kid for college, when i turn it on, it works for about 6 minutes, then just shuts off, i am thinking it is a power problem, checked battery, and everything i can think of. Can anybody help me??

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Are you running it just on Battery? if so try taking the battery out and run the system just off the power cable.
  • edited January 2010
    Are you running it just on Battery? if so try taking the battery out and run the system just off the power cable.

Yay, I tried that, it made no difference. Thought about the hard drive, but that was replaced, 7 months ago. My power indicator light on the laptop does not come on at all. But it seems to me, that if it wasn't getting any power at all, it wouldn't boot up. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks,
    edited January 2010
    In my fun times I actually had a DV8000 that I broke down into small bits... Overall I can't think of much that could be the issue outside of a loose wire or something.

Here is the thread where I broke it down at an IC event...

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47511
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Laptop for the kid for college. Hey hey, I know that story.

The problem you describe is probably one of two things or a combination of both:

1) ventilation fans and/or heatsinks are clogged with lint and dust, causing overheating, or
    2) power brick is wearing out and shuts off when it gets warm.

For the first solution, try cleaning out the ventilation passages and fans.
    edited January 2010
    If you can't get the laptop fixed, take a look on your local Craigslist. There is no shortage of laptops on most Craigslist local communities. Also, laptops have become a commodity and the used market has taken a tremendous hit, downward pressure on prices.
  • edited January 2010
    Leonardo wrote:
    Laptop for the kid for college. Hey hey, I know that story.

The problem you describe is probably one of two things or a combination of both:

1) ventilation fans and/or heatsinks are clogged with lint and dust, causing overheating, or
    2) power brick is wearing out and shuts off when it gets warm.

For the first solution, try cleaning out the ventilation passages and fans.

will try that, only problem, i'm having a problem getting the top casing off, is there somewhere I can go get a diagram of the whole computer? been going off a pc repair book, and it is very generic
    edited January 2010
    Do a Google search for the service manual for your model number.
    edited January 2010
    Your having troubles with the keyboard?
  • edited January 2010
    Your having troubles with the keyboard?

no, i'm not having a trouble with the keyboard, but, going by old generic manual, it says I have to get in there to get to the heat/sink, fan
    that must be wrong. Do I just go in from the bottom??

thanks, will google service manual
  • edited January 2010
    I used to take care of my own desktops, but this is the first time I am taking apart a laptop.
    edited January 2010
    It's a little more tedious than desktop work. The main points of concern to are to safeguard the tiny fasteners and screws and make note of where they go for re-assembly. :) Once you find the manual and start the disassembly, just take it SLOW and EASY, and you should be OK.
  • edited January 2010
    found the manual, reading it now, thank you for all your help