The Apple iPad: Laaaaaaaaame

13»

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2010
    Tim wrote:
    Exactly WHY is the iPad neccessary? What can it do that cell phones, iPhones, Blackberrys, netbooks, and laptops can't do? It's completely unneeded technology. Does it REALLY have a practical everyday use that will last a long time?

I think my favorite part of this is where you answer your own question.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA
    edited January 2010
    The Ipad is necessary because Steve says it is! Thats how things roll in Apples camp, Steve says Jump you jump. This is why I really wish I didnt own a Ipod now
  • edited January 2010
    I seem to remember you being really excited about your Macbook.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2010
    I think this article is interesting and the argument seems compelling to me, maybe even enough to change my mind on a few things. I suspect I'm the only one here who will come to that conclusion but it's still worth reading as an articulate perspective on the iPad and the potential shift in computing.
  • edited February 2010
    That article reads to me like an Apple fan trying hard to justify and rationalize the iPads flaws. Sure, removing the floppy drive from a computer was a logical step forward, they were largely outdated. Removing all peripherals and all user control from a computer, though, is not advancement. It's regression. At least for people that actually know how to use a computer.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN
    edited February 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    Removing all peripherals and all user control from a computer, though, is not advancement. It's regression. At least for people that actually know how to use a computer.

OBJECTION! objection.gif

See, I don't look at the iPad at all as a laptop replacement, or a replacement of any type of computer. It's a gadget, much like a Nintendo DS or a PDA. I don't really think it is required by geek law for a gadget to have all the same ports of a normal computer. While yes, having at least a USB port would be nice, but many devices are getting along just fine without it.

And yes, many are fun to use.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited February 2010
    Apple says it's a netbook replacement. Go figure.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2010
    Thrax wrote:

Agreed.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2010
    The ipad is another gadget it will fill a niche for some people and others see it as a fail because they want a wonder machine that will wipe their ass while playing music. It's $500+ There's lots of bang in that machine for $500. Like I said before find another device that does as much and as well.

That being said the google aPad is a delicious rumor mill at the moment. A more open device that can multi-task and had an SD-Slot. Of course I'll bet that much like the Android phones it will have some advantages but overall still not as clean an interface as an iPhone.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN
    edited February 2010
    Thrax wrote:

Bah. I still consider it independent of other gadgets or at worst complementary to an existing netbook. Regardless of what apple says - I'll think for myself. The moment I start listening to Apple and believing them at face value, is the moment I join the Apple Clan.

Which to me is a great irony. Their motto is/was "Think Different".
  • edited February 2010
    Thrax wrote:

I don't think he said the Ipad was a "netbook replacement" so much as he said, "netbooks suck"