ICSP Event: Werewolf

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited March 2010 in Community
Some of you may have heard of a game called Werewolf (other reading: Werewolf's history). It is played using a moderator, a group of seven or more players, index cards and a whole heaping helping of charisma.

The rules are very simple:
Assemble a group of seven or more players, and choose a moderator. The moderator deals cards which designate each player as either a villager or a werewolf. Players do not reveal their cards until the game is over. For groups of seven up, you will need two werewolves; more than 12, three.

The game plays out over a period of "night" and "day" phases, controlled by the moderator. During the "night", all players shut their eyes. The moderator calls on any werewolves present to open their eyes and, using gestures and hand signals, they silently nominate a victim. When "night" ends, all players open their eyes and the moderator announces who has died. This player leaves the game and must not make any further comments, and especially not reveal whether he was a villager or a werewolf.

During the "day", which lasts around 15 minutes, there is nothing to distinguish werewolves from villagers, so players debate between themselves and agree on a person to lynch, in the hope of killing a werewolf. This player then leaves the game and must not make any further comments. The cycle is repeated until either all the werewolves are dead (a villager victory), or the werewolves are equal in number to the remaining villagers (a werewolf victory). The moderator announces the result, and players are then free to reveal their cards.

To summarize, a single cycle of the game takes anywhere between 20-30 minutes. The game begins with the moderator giving everyone cards that say "werewolf" or "villager." Players must look at this card secretly, tell no one of what it says, then pocket it. The moderator then tells everyone to close and cover their eyes, and anonymously alerts the werewolves to silently decide upon a victim. Once a victim has been selected, the victim dies. Once the victim is dead, the werewolves close their eyes and cover their hands like everyone else, then day is announced. Everyone may uncover their eyes at this time.

During the 15-minute day session, everyone debates the identity of the werewolves. At the end of the day session, one player must be lynched by consensus. Everyone, including the werewolves, must make impassioned cases as to why they believe another person is a werewolf, and should therefore be lynched.

All players will have to use intense observational skills, charisma, debate tactics and reasoning to convince other people why the person they've chosen is a werewolf. This debate is largely unmoderated, and the accused are free to make a counter-argument.

The game may, or may not, include a variety of special characters that radically change the dynamic of the game.

Icrontic plays werewolf
Once ICSP rolls around, I will be moderating one (or several) rounds of Werewolf. I will give everyone the basic rules to play, and read the basic rules behind every special character the game might contain.

Before a game begins, each player will get an index card with their identity as a werewolf or a villager. If a special villager is in play, that person will get the basic rules on their card.

Let's have some fun. :D

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Damn you! Want 2 be in :(
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    In it to win it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    In!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Can I do it remotely. :D
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I'll play.
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I've always heard it named Mafia, although everyone has their own name for the game... Theres dozens of names for it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Mafia is a different game from Werewolf, with subtly different rules. They are not the same.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Totally in, I'll play this game.

I played something similar back in my youth group days. Not Mafia. Had almost identical rules. It was a blast to play. Definitely looking forward to playing this.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I want to play already.....so I will. I have photographic proof that Lynx is a werewolf.
    were2.jpg

Shocking, I know.

Should be a lot of fun though. :D
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    In for this.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    That pic looks legit. Someone get me some silver bullets!
    edited February 2010
    WHERE DID YOU GET THAT?

eff. I'll deal with you later Canti, but for the moment it is time for some mod abuse and damage control notreally.

Explains why I need a haircut so bad.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    In!
    edited February 2010
    That is not a photoshop. I can tell by having seen many photoshops in my day.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Just look at the pixels.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Definately not shooped. It would be rediculous to think otherwise.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Thrax, if you don't have this yet, might I suggest picking it up for $10. It's a nice set of play aids and has solid rules on expanded character types with support for up to 18 players. It should make the evening a bit easier. A trip to Red Dragon(?) is warranted to facilitate the acquisition.
    edited February 2010
    Sweet link, Peter! I'll definitely look into this.
    edited February 2010
    Buddy J wrote:
    A trip to Red Dragon(?) is warranted to facilitate the acquisition.
    Nerd Road Trip!!
    edited March 2010
    Bump for a reminder!
  • ZenModeZenMode Royal Oak, Mi Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Bump for this being an awesome idea - including the trip to Red Dragon (I have a ton of D&D books I need to trade in there when we go)
    edited March 2010
    The Ryder mobile will depart for Red Dragon... Sat. morning?
    edited March 2010
    I'm down for whatever, I'll be around
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    In on the Red Dragon trip.
    edited March 2010
    A++++ Would play again.
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, Warewolf was really fun. Glad we did it.

Canti fooled us all....
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    This sounded awesome and I wish I could have participated. We should definitely play this during EPIC.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I got lynched three times and I was never anything but a villager! I told you bitches that I was telling the truth!
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    This was definitely a great success. May need a better spot if we try to play this at a bigger event, as the island was getting a little cramped. Well done monsieur Thrax.
    edited March 2010
    I eated many people.

NOM.

PS - This game was big fun.