Five triumphs of customer service

2»

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Hi Isaac, and welcome to Icrontic. People are often passionate about the companies that have served them well (and passionate in the other direction about companies that fail them). Thanks for your comment!

Are you in the CG industry?
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I'd be curious to hear the dates of the Dell experiences, personally.

Customer service changes so quickly - Dell being the perfect example. Their "award winning" support quickly tanked when they began off citing everything. I'm curious if they've done something recently to earn back that title.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    My terribad Dell experiences have all been in the past two years. The biggest issue (which lasted MONTHS) was from January - March of 2009.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Annes wrote:
    My terribad Dell experiences have all been in the past two years. The biggest issue (which lasted MONTHS) was from January - March of 2009.

Lets be honest....

I know this is not necessarily a politically correct thing to say, but..... Any company that is going to farm out its customer service to the lowest bidder is saying they don't value your service. It's as simple as that. Don't tell me its smart business, or its a necessary maneuver in the new global economy, I don't buy it.

Exploiting a cheap labor pool in a country where people are desperate is a dirty business practice I don't care if your GM or if your Dell....

Thats why Dell's service sucks, they farmed it out to the lowest bidder and you get what you pay for.
  • edited March 2010
    I work in customer service. And I know that it's really not that hard to provide good service. Some of my worst experiences have been:
    Dell, I have to talk to someone in India and their answer to everything is format/ reinstall windows, even for hardware issues. I even paid for the on site warrenty work and they treated their own tech like he was an idiot and kept him on hold for over a hour trying to get a replacement motherboard for my inspiron 5150 because the video card died. They also told me since the convergence chip in my lcd tv died I would have to buy a new tv because it's out of warrenty, and when I asked about buying the chip they said they don't sell them. So, since I'm still paying on the t.v. I told them I was going to stop all payments and they can come get it. I still have it sitting in my garage as a huge shrine to dell's horrible customer service

Sony: I own a playstation 3, and my first one soldiered on for over 8 months with me constantly playing and watching blu-rays and whatnot. It got the ylod, and I called for a replacement, that went ok, the replacement unit I had only worked for 2 weeks before the upscaling on the dvd player decided not to work. I called again and after a heated "discussion" with their tech I asked how long they test each system for when it is approved as a refurb. He said they only check to see if it loads a game. Well since the ps3 does a lot more I asked if they test that, he said no. That to me is shotty quality control and shouldn't be accepted on a $300 piece of equipment

Time Warner Cable: Their support is horrible, incompetent techs on the other side of the world, I believe that says enough

The best I've had:
    M$: I have my xbox 360 die with the rrod, and they replaced it without a problem, they even gave me a month of xbox live free for my trouble. I didn't even buy the xbox. It was used and they still replaced it, that was pretty good in my book. No questions asked.

Verizon Wireless: I know some people hate verizon but everyone there I talk to speaks english, which is a huge plus, and is very helpful if there is a problem with the phones, once you go through their company mandated "software upgrade" they will ship you a new phone provided you are in your 2 year plan.

I also like local companies, because you're more than just a number to them. So I try to keep things local when I can.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Some of my best experiences have actually been with Dell and not just on server hardware which is always sent out next day and typically no questions asked. I had some issues with a monitor I bought for myself through normal channels and a replacement was on my doorstep 18 hours later after no more than 15 minutes on the phone.

Another good one recently: I contacted Zalman to see if I could buy replacement mounting hardware for a 4 year old heatsink and they shipped it out 2nd day air for free.
    edited March 2010
    Let me add Chik-fil-A - Not only is the product delicious, there is a real consistency of polite counter service there, unlike any other fast food chain, at least the ones I patron.

Obviously not tech-related, but seriously ... Chik-fil-A must be an excellently managed company. From the way I'm greeted and served to the quality and cleanliness of their restaurants; it's a consistently great experience no matter what city or state I'm in. They take very good care of their employees and it shows.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Any company that farms out its CS department to a foreign country with cheap labor that can barely speak english is a company that is not serious about providing good customer service.

Chick-Fil-A is a good place, they still even have their long standing policy of being closed on Sunday. How many companies can say that?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Chick-fil-a is a TERRIBLE company.
    edited March 2010
    NU UH
    edited March 2010
    shwaip wrote:
    Chick-fil-a is a TERRIBLE company.

I smell a troll..... Everyone should Eat Moar Chikin!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Tim wrote:
    Any company that farms out its CS department to a foreign country with cheap labor that can barely speak english is a company that is not serious about providing good customer service.

Chick-Fil-A is a good place, they still even have their long standing policy of being closed on Sunday. How many companies can say that?

Why does it matter if they're open or closed on Sunday?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Tim wrote:
    How many companies can say that?

Any company in a state with draconian blue laws.
    edited March 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Why does it matter if they're open or closed on Sunday?

I'm not 100% sure if you are trollin or not, but just to answer,

I just think it says to the company's employee's that you deserve a day for yourself and for family. It's a kind of old fashioned value that carries over into the way your served there. I'm glad they have held that policy when so many company's can't pass up the Sunday money grab.
    edited March 2010
    (They're called days off.)
    edited March 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    (They're called days off.)

The company was founded by a man named S. Truett Cathy who is a practiceing Baptist and Sunday school teacher. He founded the company so by extension he see's that it upholds his values.
    edited March 2010
    Figures. Praise Jebus.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    The company was founded by a man named S. Truett Cathy who is a practiceing Baptist and Sunday school teacher. He founded the company so by extension he see's that it upholds his values.

Part of the values that he's making the company uphold are very anti-gay. Chick-fil-a is a large sponsor of focus on the family, an anti-gay rights group.

This is one of the reasons I say they are a terrible company.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    shwaip wrote:
    Part of the values that he's making the company uphold are very anti-gay. Chick-fil-a is a large sponsor of focus on the family, an anti-gay rights group.

This is one of the reasons I say they are a terrible company.
    QFT

Any company that has to stick their noses (and money) in other peoples private business (such as who they date/sleep with/whatever) can f- right off in my book.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Yous not trollin!
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Chick-fil-a has a great product and consistently good customer service, but I agree with shwaip. Their closure on Sundays has more to do with adhering to biblical principles than supporting their employees. That's why all the bad things happen to the sinful Burger King and evil McDonald's.

I think In-N-Out as well as Five Guys both have better service and amazingly great classic food.

I may have been lucky, but Dell's customer service for my laptop has been perfect. While some of the techs on the phone definitely had an Indian accent, they were helpful, knowledgeable, and polite every time I've called. The company has quickly and professionally covered every little breakage and even found and replaced items I hadn't complained about (keyboard, footpads).
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    In-N-Out is consistently rated as the premiere fast-food restaurant by all respondents in any survey in which they're ever entered. I am supremely jealous I've never been in a position to visit one.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Never been in "position" for the ol' In-N-Out eh?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    In-n-out is good, really good, but it's more of a branding thing than an actual "wow amazing flavor" thing. In-n-Out is not the best burger I've ever had, but the fresh ingredients, the prices, the service, and the uniqueness of the place are all top notch.

Presentation: A+
    Quality of Food: A-

In all honesty, I actually find that Five Guys burgers are actually better tasting than In-n-Out
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Vonage customer service sucks balls, as do most other telecom companies I've dealt with.

Some of the best CS I've dealt with have been smaller companies. My personal favorite is the company that provides our proxy software, CensorNet.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    In-n-out is good, really good, but it's more of a branding thing than an actual "wow amazing flavor" thing. In-n-Out is not the best burger I've ever had, but the fresh ingredients, the prices, the service, and the uniqueness of the place are all top notch.

Presentation: A+
    Quality of Food: A-

In all honesty, I actually find that Five Guys burgers are actually better tasting than In-n-Out

Concur. In-N-Out is a great company with good food and sterling treatment of their employees and customers. Strangely enough, I think their fries are terrible. On the other hand, Five Guys has THE best fast food burger I've ever had and Cajun Fries that are to die for...AND free peanuts to boot! I don't know how Five Guys treats its employees though...