Serp wrote:
    Now if I may make a ridiculous post:

270wsw555a1lg5.jpg

2 Intel Xeon X56803r270wsw555a1lg5j, 4 GTX 295, and EVGA's new 1200w PSU

I'm just sayin' :D
    I could use about 6 of these at work.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited March 2010
    Are you dead set on new parts? I may have a video card at the beginning of next week.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Donut wrote:
    Are you dead set on new parts? I may have a video card at the beginning of next week.

Not necessarily dead set no. Whatcha got? Why are you selling it?
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited March 2010
    I'll send you a PM. I don't want this to be construed as a sale outside of the classies.
    edited March 2010
    Cool. A GTX 280 should be a good folder. I've never done GPU folding so I am clueless.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I have to say my company makes some good products. Along with that has awesome warranties. But while the SR-2 is nice the X58 4way SLI + PhysX is also nice.
    edited March 2010
    I have to say my company makes some good products. Along with that has awesome warranties. But while the SR-2 is nice the X58 4way SLI + PhysX is also nice.

Sledge what's your company?
    How much production (estimate) can I expect to get from a GTX 280?
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Its EVGA duh. Range from 6800 to 8100 so I would just call it 7500ppd.
    edited March 2010
    Wow ...that's a load of ppd!
    edited April 2010
    Now is the time to choose a PSU. Your thioughts?

I just bought a gtx 280 and I need a 6 pin and an 8 pin connector. I'm leaning towards the Corsiar because more is better right? But it lists 6x6+2 pci-2 connectors. Will this be what I need? Or is the PCP&C enough with the 2x6 and 2x6+2. PCP&C has always been my favorite PSU company.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    My recommendations:

* high powered enough for expansion; my guess is that you'll get hooked on GPU Folding and want to add cards - recommend 850 Watts or better, to allow for two high powered video cards plus an overclocked quad-core CPU.
    * go for good quality, high efficiency; you don't have to spend a fortune, but don't cheap out on this!
    * reviews: in my opinion, HardOCP and JonnyGuru have the best PSU reviews
    * cabling: you want a minimum of 2 X 6-in and 2 X 8-pin (the 8-pin cables will usually be 6+2, which allows more configuration options)
    edited April 2010
    Leonardo wrote:
    My recommendations:

* high powered enough for expansion; my guess is that you'll get hooked on GPU Folding and want to add cards - recommend 850 Watts or better, to allow for two high powered video cards plus an overclocked quad-core CPU.
    * go for good quality, high efficiency; you don't have to spend a fortune, but don't cheap out on this!
    * reviews: in my opinion, HardOCP and JonnyGuru have the best PSU reviews
    * cabling: you want a minimum of 2 X 6-in and 2 X 8-pin (the 8-pin cables will usually be 6+2, which allows more configuration options)

So what do you think of the Corsair 950 6x6+2 above (link in first post)?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Just bought that exact psu. Powers my 2x5870 and Phenom 2 965BE handily.

The only downside is that it's not modular, and some of the cables are VERY long. Definitely a pain.
    edited April 2010
    shwaip wrote:
    Just bought that exact psu. Powers my 2x5870 and Phenom 2 965BE handily.

The only downside is that it's not modular, and some of the cables are VERY long. Definitely a pain.
    Thanks for that input shwaip. You're right though modular would be nice. That's what I have now and I love it.
    edited April 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    Sounds like you would need a 1k PSU if you are going to do GX2s and a standard single GPU for your primary. You can fold in crossfire and SLi but its a pain some times and fails/throws errors a lot.

For a no BS this is what I would pick for your build since we are starting to pick through to something more realistic:
    GA-X58A-UD3R
    i7 920
    OCZ3G1600LV6GK
    CMPSU-950TX
    Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS

I agree with you on this. I wish I knew more about the motherboard options and differences. I just don't know what features are making the others more costly.

After a little research I figured I would much prefer something like this ...Open Box: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    edited April 2010
    So what do you think of the Corsair 950 6x6+2 above
    Killer. Nice pick. Are you good with cable management? High capacity PSUs that aren't modular have cable masses that quite large. It can be done, you just have to be clever and determined.
    edited April 2010
    Leonardo wrote:
    Are you good with cable management?
    Only if I have to be! ;D
    I'll check out the modular selection as well.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    csimon wrote:
    Only if I have to be! ;D

that's what she said.

tbh, while the extra cables were annoying, i probably wouldn't have paid more just to get a modular supply. I do enjoy a neat case, but not at an additional cost.
    edited April 2010
    Hey, Chris, I am not trying to dissuade you from purchasing that Corsair, I just wanted you to consider a factor you might not have otherwise. But I can tell you, the high-powered, do-all, connect-all PSUs can be a major pain to configure in smaller cases due to the seeming miles of cables. It's definitely doable, though.

None of the PSUs in these cases is modular.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited April 2010
    When I upgraded my psu (for a 9800gx2) I bit the bullet and went modular. My old 520w HX was very easy to work with and would handle most anything I threw at it. Until I threw that vid card into the mix.

I used Leo's sig as a gauge of how big a psu I needed. My new one is the 850 HX, I was willing to pay the extra for the modular, it does make life SOOOO much easier, but I do change hardware quite frequently.
    Be aware though, some of the higher power psu are physically longer than the old ones. iirc my 850 is about an inch longer than the old 520.
    edited April 2010
    Leonardo wrote:
    Hey, Chris, I am not trying to dissuade you from purchasing that Corsair, I just wanted you to consider a factor you might not have otherwise. But I can tell you, the high-powered, do-all, connect-all PSUs can be a major pain to configure in smaller cases due to the seeming miles of cables. It's definitely doable, though.

None of the PSUs in these cases is modular.
    Thanks for your concern Leo as it is something worth considering. Even though I do feel I have plenty of room I just prefer not to clutter things unecessarily. In this case I'll be reusing my Lian li V2000 case with the lower PSU area to probably include a new larger radiator to handle the cpu & video card heat. At some point good airflow does becomes critical.
    edited April 2010
    Donut wrote:
    When I upgraded my psu (for a 9800gx2) I bit the bullet and went modular. My old 520w HX was very easy to work with and would handle most anything I threw at it. Until I threw that vid card into the mix.

I used Leo's sig as a gauge of how big a psu I needed. My new one is the 850 HX, I was willing to pay the extra for the modular, it does make life SOOOO much easier, but I do change hardware quite frequently.
    Be aware though, some of the higher power psu are physically longer than the old ones. iirc my 850 is about an inch longer than the old 520.
    A longer PSU shouldn't be an issue in this case except for the fact that I may be fighting for real estate when/if I upgrade my radiator setup. I may be underestimating the PA160's effectiveness since it is theoretically equivalent to the PA120.2 (as stated by Cathar in an email years ago). However my be is on a 120.3 ...a 140.3 would be very nice but things will be getting crammed down there very quickly.

So I think PSU and the radiator should both be considered with some sort of expansion headroom in mind.

With that said I think I may be considering the following changes:

OCZ Z Series Gold OCZZ850M 850W ATX12V 2.3/ EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

With a possible updgrade to:

OCZ Z Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W ATX12V 2.3/ EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
    edited April 2010
    I just read this impressive review on the 850W OCZ-Z. Looks very convincing to me.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews.php?reviewid=951

So OCZ bought out PCP&C? Learn something everyday.
    edited April 2010
    This OCZ Z Series Gold OCZZ850M 850W ATX12V 2.3/ EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
    PSU was ordered.
    edited August 2010
    *bump*

I will be ordering the rest of the parts soon. So far I have gotten the PSU and video card. The rest of the components listed I will order together and the stuff not listed I already have.

The only thing holding me back at this point is the motherboard. I'm not pleased at all with the reviews on the newegg site. So I began looking at Asus. I am impressed with this one so far ...please let me know what you think. Also, I do realize that it is a mini ...would that be a problem with a lian li v2000?

At any rate here it is ...

ASUS Rampage III Gene LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    edited August 2010
    I'm still on Socket 775 systems, so balance what I offer with views from experienced X58 users.

The mid-range boards from the big name brands, Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI will overclock almost as well as the expensive, flagship boards, and the quality will be on par. The main difference is the expensive boards have more features, which are rather costly.

If I were looking for an X58 motherboard right now, I'd go with Gigabyte's Ultra Durable series. I just can't say enough good things about UD with respect to Socket 775. From what I've read, the quality and stability has carried over to Socket 1366.

If you don't plan on overclocking the CPU, just about any quality board will work well for both CPU and GPU Folding. Make sure you get at least to two PCI-e slots, though, as you never know how many GPUs you'll want to fold on once you get started GPU Folding.

Is there a reason you are going with M-ATX format? Your case will be large enough for standard ATX.

Wish I had more specific board advice for you.
    edited August 2010
    Yeah it's not the case size at all. This R3-Gene board performs as well as it's big format brother at a fraction of the cost. It has 2 PCIe slots which is plenty. Like I said though, the Gigabyte UD3R that I spec in the beginning isn't getting many favorable reviews from buyers at newegg.

I'm still at least a week away from ordering. Thanks for your post Leo.
    edited August 2010
    OK, I hadn't read about the UD3R.

I'm just concerned about the small board. It will make airflow configurations possible difficult. If you run dual slot video cards (plural), they will be right next to each other with little space for cooling air between them. Also, the southbridge on that board will be covered up if you put in a second card. I think that board would work just fine for a single video card, but not two. It would be better to have something that would allow more expansion and ease of configuration.

Edit: you had mentioned a radiator, but water cooling doesn't do anything for the VRMs and other components on the PCB, only the GPU.
    edited August 2010
    I agree about the dual video card situation. The only thing I will watercool in the beginning will be cpu. Once all works out well I will put the video into the loop.

I don't ever see myself moving to dual video cards on this machine. I think that what will happen will be that when and if the time comes and I am ready for dual vid cards, I will simply build a larger system and donate this one to wifey. At that point I may not stop at dual cards.

I understand your concern for expansion Leo. At this point I am more concerned about dual monitors that I am at dual video cards. The single 280 vid card for now should push what I need for CAD, gaming, Photoshop, etc. As a future build I plan on completly rethinking the entire system from the PSU on up. But this will be more than adequate for now.

On a different subject, which may or may not constitute a seperate thread, have you installed the new CPU 6.30 SMP client? When I tell you it takes the pain of F@h installion completely away I mean it. And folding as a service couldn't be easier. I am well pleased and have no issues to report. Be forewarned however, you must go into add/remove software to remove the 6.29 client prior to installing 6.30. After that it is a cake walk.

I just thought I'd mention it since I only discovered it recently. It is public beta btw ...as far as I know.
    edited August 2010
    As I get closer and more serious to this order I will be listing the components that I have left to order to complete the project. I will also reiterate at this point that this is my main rig for CAD, photoshop, day-to-day ...etc. and folding is a sencondary funtion.

Here we go.

Mobo = Asus Rampage III Gene

CPU = Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield

RAM = G.SKILL Trident 6GB

Waterblock = Enzotech SCW-REV.A + Enzotech Type-Z 1366 Retentioner + Arctic Silver 5 + MCT-5 + ClearFlex 60 Tubing (10')

I think I will start a new build thread since this one is a bit outdated.

Thanks for your help so far.