Icrontic Camping: Round Two

fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
edited June 2010 in Community
so Jimmy and I were throwing ideas back and forth on our way to ICSP on doing another camping weekend this summer.

we talked about either doing it in May or August, and mentioned having it close to an airport so fellow Icrontians could fly in to join us if they wished.

so, I open the discussion to all of you. Last year we went camping at Lake Rathbun in Iowa, which was decent, but not great. What I would like is to get some feedback on who would like to go, so we can plan a location best for those going.

it would most likely be in the states of either Iowa, Missouri or Illinois since getting the supplies to the campground (tents, food, etc) would require driving, and Myrmidon, Cannonfodder, Jimmy and I live in that area.

:rarr:

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I totally want to do this, schedule allowing. I'm not going to start listing weekends I can do it because you shouldn't plan around me. I'll just pipe in if I think I can make it to what you guys set up.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I'm interested if it's within driving distance from Oklahoma (I'm running low on vacation time). Also, I have an SUV for hauling supplies to the camp site.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I am certainly interested. The location doesn't matter to me.

Of course, hard to commit at the moment. Not sure of my employment/financial situation by then. Need to make sure I can afford it.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I would like to try to make this.
  • AlidraAlidra Metro Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Dying to go! I'll make it if I can!
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I'd be down for going as well. I missed last year because of working Scout Camp, but I'm not doing that this summer so I will be able to do stuff. Obviously I vote Missouri area, but am open to other destinations.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I think I was already 'tits yes'd in, but just in case - tits yes. As long as it's BEFORE august.

Also, what was wrong with lake rathbun? it was halfway between us, modestly secluded, has a LAKE, and had just the right amount of amenities without making you feel like it was too EASY.

...And you can always simply NOT USE the amenities, if you want to be more of a hardass. :P

Besides, the camp rangers didn't come bust my ass for making noise at 2 am. :)
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I might be in for this. Would also be cool to see my brother and the kids in Iowa. Looks like where you camped last year isn't too far away from them.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Myrmidon wrote:
    I think I was already 'tits yes'd in, but just in case - tits yes. As long as it's BEFORE august.

Also, what was wrong with lake rathbun? it was halfway between us, modestly secluded, has a LAKE, and had just the right amount of amenities without making you feel like it was too EASY.

...And you can always simply NOT USE the amenities, if you want to be more of a hardass. :P

Besides, the camp rangers didn't come bust my ass for making noise at 2 am. :)

pretty much because it was not close to an airport, unless you want to make 3 hour airport runs to pick up fellow Icrontians ;D

Jimmy and I both agreed we had no issue driving a little farther to a campground near and airport so people could join us camping by flying in.

and YOU KNOW I'm all about getting my man funk on with no showers while camping :wtf:
    edited March 2010
    Actually that's a pretty fair one. Pella (one of the nearby towns) is fucking beautiful and worth a little stroll-through if people get sick of camping. Also it's like an hour and a half from my apartment, so I'm TOTALLY for it. :)
    edited March 2010
    So, the Obvious ones that are in:
    Myrmidon
    Cannonfodder
    Tiberius
    Alidra
    fatcat

the rest of you. talk to me on dates. May is fast approaching if we are going to try and shoot for then. June is Expo, July is 4th and possibility, August rolls into Summer Shindig
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Hmm...

May 1st I'm quitting my job. May 23rd I'm moving to California. So I'll have the time off in May, but I've got a lot of little trips planned and such. I'd have to know more details on dates.

And I really have to crunch and figure out my finances before I commit. I have a good deal of money in my California fund, I need to be as shrewd as possible with it, since I'm moving without having a job lined up. Plane fare can be painful.
    edited March 2010
    Just a bit too far for a weekend trip, and I don't have any vacation time to spare. Maybe next time.
    edited March 2010
    mertesn wrote:
    Just a bit too far for a weekend trip, and I don't have any vacation time to spare. Maybe next time.

We haven't decided on a spot yet Nick. How far from Kansas City are ya?
    edited March 2010
    Six hours or less. I'm in Oklahoma City.
    edited March 2010
    mertesn wrote:
    Six hours or less. I'm in Oklahoma City.

hmm, ok

Cannon and Myrm, how far you guys from Kansas City?

I'm just trying to stay near a major airport for those who might fly in <3
    edited April 2010
    I thought I replied to this, weird. I'm 4 hours from KC, cannon is 7.
    edited April 2010
    That blip, fatcat, is about 15 minutes from my parent's house :)
    edited April 2010
    I can make a three-day weekend of those locations.
    edited April 2010
    so, Myrm if you can get Cannon to you place, and mert doesnt mind driving up towards KC area, I'll just look for a spot near the Kansas City airport, MCI.

doing this also means we can let the KC locals, like Caffran, Idiot Slayer and Koreish know about camping and see if they wanna join us.
    edited April 2010
    fatcat wrote:
    doing this also means we can let the KC locals, like Caffran, Idiot Slayer and Koreish know about camping and see if they wanna join us.

Not to mention AuthorityAction, Park7677, RiversCuomo, etc. :D
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    I'm in at any location at this point, so long as its a 3 day weekend thing :)
    edited April 2010
    I'm in at any location at this point, so long as its a 3 day weekend thing :)

yea, it will be a Friday - Sunday deal. Like noon or later Friday till checkout time Sunday.
    edited April 2010
    Winfrey wrote:
    Not to mention AuthorityAction, Park7677, RiversCuomo, etc. :D

and Canti and Mr. Bill and all the other Missouri Icrontians I'm forgetting :bigggrin:
  • KoreishKoreish
    pokes head out.

What's this about KC? JackStack? Who? Where?
    I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    pokes head out.

What's this about KC? JackStack? Who? Where?
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Jackstack will be happening this Summer. Not sure who or when, but sometime.
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    fatcat wrote:
    it would most likely be in the states of either Iowa, Missouri or Illinois since getting the supplies to the campground (tents, food, etc) would require driving, and Myrmidon, Cannonfodder, Jimmy and I live in that area.

I would personally avoid Illinois for camping. It is pretty bare and we have always gone to MI or WI for camping.
    edited April 2010
    Jimmy, Cannon, Myrm, Mert, Lincoln, Lynx, Magic, Wags, Winfrey and Mizzou locals....

Post some weekends you can do this so we can get the ball rolling