Something's wrong, not sure how to fix it

edited April 2010 in Hardware
Hi Icrontic community, sorry if this thread is in the wrong spot but I am really not sure what problem I'm facing. Over the last couple of days the computer has become a bit slow, and when playing games first off it starts ok then all of a sudden the FPS drops down and becomes sluggish. I took it into a computer repair shop and I don't think they've fixed the problem, they said they didn't find anything out of place but I just switched my computer on and while reading the news a blue screen came up with this code:
Stop: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005 0x82D50B88 0x9DFFBC30 0x00000000)
I have a feeling it's something to do with the hareware so that's why I posted it here, I searched around with that code and found no results. If I need to provide anymore information or run any tests just let me know what I have to do. Sorry that I've just come into the community just for my problem but you guys seem to know your stuff, thank you very much for taking the time to read this and sorry again if this is in the wrong section or anything.

Also there used to be a loud sound when I turned on the computer but now it's very quiet, I told this to the computer technicians but said they didn't find anything wrong with the parts. Anymore information you need just let me know and thanks again :).

Edit: I just read the 'Got a problem? Check here first!' and I'll start doing some of that stuff now.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Alright, if we are to diagnose or troubleshoot a machine without seeing it, at least we can find out what it is, OK?

Laptop? Desktop? Custom? Brand and model? Can you tell us what parts are in it? If not, don't worry, we'll walk you through it.
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks for your reply, it's a custom desktop I think, these are the parts in it.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Disk Model WDC WD5000AADS-00M2B0 ATA Device

Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

And it's Vista Home Premium.. I ran memtest several times and didn't get any errors, I have a feeling it's with the power supply but the only way I could find how to test it was with a multimeter, and I don't want to make things worse. I'm not sure how to test the CPU either if there is a way. Anything else I should do? Thanks again for the reply.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited April 2010
    Have you changed anything recently? ie added a new external hard disk installed some new software... What were you doing the first time it happened?
  • edited April 2010
    Nothing's been changed, it first came up when I was playing a game Rainbow Six: Vegas, all of a sudden everything just slowed down. Also previous to that there was a loud sound at start up inside the computer then after a couple of days it didn't come up anymore, I took in my computer to get it fixed once I heard the sound but the technicians couldn't find any fault.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited April 2010
    can you describe the noise? was it beeping, grinding, crunching...?

Have you tested your hard disk?