mobo decisions

BudBud Chesterfield, Va
edited August 2006 in Hardware
I am looking at getting a mobo while I get my asus a7n8x deluxe gets fixed and then use it for another folding box. I dont wanna spend alot (like $60) but need to do 400fsb and sata, I was looking at the MSI nForce2 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model K7N2-V from newegg $60. Anyone used this board or have a clue if its good. Or maybe suggestions for something in my price range. Thanks guys :respect:

Comments

• edited January 2004
    No experience with the board and also no reviews at newegg on it either. How about the Albatron KX18D Pro for $62 or the Shuttle AN35-N Ultra for $67.99? Both of those seem to have decent overclocking features and have plenty of reviews that seem to think highly of them.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited January 2004
    I look at those 2 just trying to get a decent board just threw that one out cause i saw it on newegg and thought msi was good. I was also looking at the biostar M7NCD.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited January 2004
    I wouldn't touch shuttle's desktop boards if you paid me. MSI's boards are pretty good. I'd get the MSI.
  • edited January 2004
    Unlike you Geeky, I would definitely try Shuttle's desktop boards. I donated an AK31 KT266A board to the SMx project over a year ago after running it for a while and it's still kicking serious arse. I've had several of their old socket7 boards and they all held up pretty well; just seen 2 failures. They aren't bad at all for cheap boards. I'd buy a Shuttle before I'd buy an Epox.

The Albatron also looks good and I know that they've included a lot of overclocking options on their stuff in the past(since they've been in business). They are a new company trying to get market share.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    i have a shuttle board... and there is nothing wrong with it
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited January 2004
    Shuttle's SFF PCs are great, but their desktop boards are only OK.

I've never had an Epox, and the only person I know with one is happy with it (so far), but I stick to brands I know are good-
    ASUS
    ABIT
    ECS
    MSI
    Albatron
    Sapphire
    Intel
    Supermicro
    Tyan
    Biostar (on occasion)
    ASRock
    etc.

Just don't get me started on FIC. I hate FIC boards. I will not buy a FIC motherboard, graphics card, barebones system, or anything else they produce, on principle alone if nothing else.
    edited January 2004
    i have the shuttle a35n ultra board, the only complaints i have is that the ram voltage doesnt go high enough, so if ur planning on getting geil ram, or cheap ram, dont bother with the a35n, u wont get enough performance out of it. Its either u buy good ram and that mobo or another mobo (preferably abit) and crappy ram
    edited August 2006
    i retract my statememnt... the a35n board is crud...any board that shorts out when i install ram in it is worthless lol