Overclocking GTX 480 HC FTW!

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited June 2010 in Hardware
I finally got my 1st of 2 GTX 480 HC FTW cards. While I wish I had both the initial release was limited to 1 per person. But with that said I started to tweek and OC the card under water and the results are awesome.

GTX 480 HC FTW stock:
Core: 752Mhz
Shaders: 1504Mhz
Memory: 1900Mhz
Max Temp: 37c

Vantage Results: 22,661

GTX 480 HC FTW OC:
Core: 904Mhz
Shaders: 1808Mhz
Memory: 2128Mhz
Max Temp: 42c

Vantage Results: 26,539

These cards have a ton of head room and I am sure once I get the EVGA voltage controller I will be able to hit 950Mhz on the core without any issue as the above OC is very stable and the temps are very tame.

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Sweet man, impressive so far. Nice 2000 point gain.

I see that sneak of a pic as your avatar, any full pics of the system yet?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    of course :) I was going to post full images once I got the 2nd card, but images now never hurt :) also I had to make a small adjustment to the above scores. I snagged the wrong one for the stock run. It is actually a 4000 point increase.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28341&stc=1&d=1271981191
  • edited April 2010
    You are determined to keep this computer at the ultimate specs as I see. Thanks for sharing this beauty.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    of course :) I was going to post full images once I got the 2nd card, but images now never hurt :) also I had to make a small adjustment to the above scores. I snagged the wrong one for the stock run. It is actually a 4000 point increase.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28341&stc=1&d=1271981191

Oh hell, even I'll make nice and say thats one sexy looking install. Nice stuff.
  • edited April 2010
    Oh hell, even I'll make nice and say thats one sexy looking install. Nice stuff.

This is from Cliff. :rockon:
    edited April 2010

coming from you Cliff that means a lot.. really...
    edited April 2010
    I do have a few more things to do... in the midst of doing wire sleeves for the 24pin, 8pin and the PCI-E connections and of course getting ready for the 2nd GTX 480 HC FTW card.

I see 40k+ Vantage scores on the Horizon :)
    edited April 2010
    That build looks incredible Sledge. Can't wait to see it with the extra 480 dropped in.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    coming from you Cliff that means a lot.. really...

The component selection is still questionable :wink: (gotta maintain my rep)

Seriously though, thats about as clean a job as I have ever seen anyone do on a custom water loop. Its obvious you really took your time to cut everything to just the right length, and the cabling is really attractive too. Honestly, thats as pretty of a build as I have ever seen.

You should consider writing up a guide on doing a custom water loop, I think it would make a great article.
    edited April 2010
    The only thing that is bugging me is the one large 1/2" tube that spans to the top of the GPU. I am not sure how else I could run the line but it is the only thing to me that stands out.

As for components the choice was made to have the best... and so far benchmarked results are showing that this setup is just that without going to more extreme means of cooling. The cost is always a factor when going top of the line / early adopter... I am just glad this time around it was not $1500 for the CPU and $1000 per graphics card.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Instead it was $1080 for the CPU and $500 per GPU? ;D
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    I'm disappointed you don't have a Z-drive in there.
    edited April 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Instead it was $1080 for the CPU and $500 per GPU? ;D

$898 CPU Bing FTW.. but no matter how you spin it... $2000 is better than $3000. is it worth it? maybe not for you, but for me hell yeah :)
    I'm disappointed you don't have a Z-drive in there.

I am running 2 SSD's now... but no not a Z-drive
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Very, very clean, and really nice color contrasts. Beautiful work, Sledge!
    edited April 2010
    Oh Noes!

DSC00827.jpg

3DMark Vantage: GPU's @ stock clocks
    Overall: 39,167
    GPU: 33,191
    CPU: 85,182
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2132119

3DMark Vantage: GPU's @ 836/2025
    Overall: 42,977
    GPU: 36,744
    CPU: 87,503
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2132138

3DMark Vantage: GPU's @ 868/2101
    Overall:43,462
    GPU: 37,111
    CPU: 89,321
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2132524
    edited April 2010
    absolutely sick. heck of a build, man, I dig it. What kind of temps is it running when you clock up to 868/2101?
    edited April 2010
    My Rad is really at the edge but temps on the GPU's sit at 50c under full load. I would like to get temps down to 45c range or lower and I have plans to do just that with some swaps and new rads.

DSC00823.jpg
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Holy sexy Jesus.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Why not use one of these?
  • edited April 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    Why not use one of these?

Do you have any link to a CPU application of that TEC plate? I would love to try.
    edited April 2010
    Nope. When I was looking at those a year ago I don't remember seeing anything in a system that was over 150W. But really anything with a TEC is just finding the mounting hardware to get a waterblock on it.
    edited April 2010
    For me I just don't trust that method of cooling for what I am doing. I have seen those on systems before but just isn't something I would want.
    edited April 2010
    TEC and Phase fall into the same boat, designed for OC and under 24/7 run time.
    edited April 2010
    Yeah but I am not going to be pushing my system farther than water allows. Phase is a whole other story that would require more than just a new cooler.. but case and still needing water for GPU's.
  • JingallsJingalls Eugene, OR
    edited April 2010
    That's one hell of a computer if I ever saw one.
    edited April 2010
    Just finished her up this afternoon for the most part.. just waiting for cable management now.

DSC00864.jpg

Album: http://photobucket.com/Projecthammer
    edited April 2010
    ^5 Stellar job, man.
  • KillerKittenKillerKitten Manchester
    edited June 2010
    Hi
    Just to say ,,wow nice rig mate
    I need a new graphics card maybe I should get one of these GTX 480 FTW but where the **** can I get one?
    edited June 2010
    You can only buy them at EVGA.com
    edited June 2010
    because they are FTW.