WTB quad core 95 watt AM2+ AMD CPU

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited April 2010 in Trading Post
I need a CPU for my K9A2 Platinum MSI motherboard. My first one has a Phenom 9650 quad core in it that I got for $50 on eBay. I haven't seen any more on there lately, and Newegg and Tiger Direct want too much $$$ for theirs.

Anyone got a CPU for me?

MUST be:

Quad core for Folding@Home. Tri-core isn't good enough for me. Less points in F@H.
95 watt power rating, no higher. The version 1 K9A2 Platinum had problems with 125 watt CPUs.
Socket AM2 / AM2+. I don't know what the difference is.

9650, 9750, 9850, and if 9550 is a choice also, then ok.

Anyone got one for me?

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Tim:

If you are building another box with 4 GPUs, the vast majority of your points will be coming from the GPU client. You will only see a small increase from using a quad core instead of dual/tri core processor. This is because the GPU client generates many more points than the cpu/smp client does AND there is a lot of CPU overhead to make 4 gpu clients work.

I'm not saying that the quad won't give you more points - just that it's probably more cost effective to just get a cheaper dual core processor.

also, check your local craigslist.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    I might consider a tri-core.

My Phenom 9650 @ 2.3 Ghz is normally in the 2800-3500 PPD range, while my 8800GT video cards fold at 4000-5300 PPD each.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Shwaip, not necessarily, concerrning two versus four-core processors. A Q6600, which is already old generation tech, can produce over 5000PPD, siginificantly better than the fastest dual core, AMD or Intel. My 'old' Q6600s, which are overclocked to an easy 3.2GHz (800MHz OC), all consistently process SMP2 work units at 5000PPD or better.

But Tim, with respect to production per Watt and production per dollar, Nvidia GPU is the way to go. If you still are interested in quad core CPU computing simultaneous with the GPU Folding, you need to look for CPUs with large L2 cache. Cache is even more important than the CPU's core clock speed. I haven't looked at the specs of the latest Phenoms, but I no the older ones have rather meager L2 cache compared to the Intel quads.

If you already have a quad core processor, Intel or AMD, just go ahead and fold with it. If you are looking to purchase a new quad specifically for Folding, avoid the Phenom.

If it's a budget build and you need to compromise, just get the cheapest quad or tri-core you can find and go multi-GPU for the production.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    I PM'd you TIM.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    I got the PM, I'll see how my money is in the next few days and message you back if I can afford to get it, it sounds like a good deal.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Cool. I'm not in a rush.