EPIC 2010 Magic: The Gathering Draft(s)

ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
edited June 2010 in Community
EPIC 2010 Magic: The Gathering Draft(s)

Note: Info below subject to change as needed. :D

Date(s): Draft is Thursday, June 24th at 1:00pm, Time is subject to change as needed for the event.

Format: Draft

Cost: $8 per draft

Set: Zendikar Block (Zendikar, Worldwake, Rise of the Eldrazi)

I (Colgere) will be the judge for this event. If you have any questions during the event, raise your hand, call out "Judge", and leave your hand up until I come to you (cause I could be dealing with multiple questions at a given time). For the sake of keeping the tournament running smoothly and in a timely manner, all rulings made by me are final. :)

Draft Structure:
This will be a bit different from last year. I will be only running an 8 person draft this time around, This is to speed up the tournament(s) so we don't run into other events (aka dinner) going on during EPIC.

The draft and deck construction will begin at 1:00pm. Decks are required to be a minimum of 40 cards, with no maximum. Whatever is not used in your maindeck becomes your sideboard. As this is a casual tournament, you may change the cards in your deck between games, meaning you don't have to restore your deck to its initial build at the beginning of each match. You are of course, limited to the cards you draft plus any basic lands. After the draft is completed, players will be given approximately 20 minutes to construct their decks. I anticipate begininng play around 1:30pm.

The draft will be composed of 1 pack of Zendikar, 1 pack of Worldwake, and 1 pack of Rise of the Eldrazi. The packs will be drafted in that order, and packs will be passed in a left-right-left manner. This means when drafting pack 1 (Zendikar), you will pick a card and then pass the pack to the left, for pack 2 (Worldwake), you will pass to the right, and then for pack 3 (Rise of the Eldrazi), you will pass to the left again.

Tournament Structure:
Each round lasts 50 mins and there will be 3 rounds total. This will be a round-robin tournament, meaning even if you lose, you get to continue playing. Each match during each round will be played on a best 2 out of 3 basis. If a given match goes to time, the active player will finish his/her turn, and then the match will continue for 5 additional turns total (not for each player.) If the current game is not finished at the end of the 5 turns, that game will be declared a draw. The point value for each match (not game) result possible is given below:

Match Win = 3 points
Match Draw = 1 point
Match Loss = 0 points

At the end of three rounds, the person with the highest point total for a given draft will be the winner. In the case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be the head to head result (if applicable). The second tiebreaker will be their respective opponents win/loss records. If still tied, there will be a one game (not a whole match, just one game!) playoff.

Prizes:
Ok, the part everyone really cares about! :) Prizes listed below.

1st: 9 packs (3 packs each of Zendikar, Worldwake, and Rise of the Eldrazi)
2nd: 3 packs (1 pack of each)

I will close signup for this on Monday, June 7th at 11:59pm. This will give me time to get the product, once I know the number of drafts that will be occurring. I'm also going to answer a couple questions ahead of time, and will update this as needed.

Q. Do I get to keep the cards I draft?
A. Yes, regardless of how you do, the cards you draft are yours.

Q. Do I need to bring lands, or will they be provided?
A. They will be provided. I have plenty. :)

Q. Why are you charging $8 for the draft? Wasn't it free last year?
A. Indeed it was, but sadly I can't afford to do the draft for free this year. Stupid economy.... Anyways, $8 is still a deal considering you get 3 packs worth of product, and each pack retails for $4.

Please post in this thread if you wish to sign up for the draft. Also, post in this thread with any other questions you may have, and I will update this post with the answer. Remember, this is a casual event, so have fun! :)

People signed up for the draft:

1. Mertesn
2. Winfrey
3. QCH
4. Lincoln
5. Bobby1211
6. Nemikan
7. Ardichoke
8. Zanthian

Edited by Q

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    In, quite possibly for both but I'll be happy to give up my place in one of the tournaments if space is needed.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    mertesn wrote:
    In, quite possibly for both but I'll be happy to give up my place in one of the tournaments if space is needed.

Please specify which one would be your preference. Thanks!
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Thursday since I'm already in town
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Thanks a lot for doing this Colgere, $8 buy-in for a draft is very reasonable. I'd be down for both (if we have at least 8 to do the second).

For now fill me in for Thursday.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I am in but we have yet to post the tentative schedule for EPIC. Rob GHoosdum is handing scheduling this year.
  • CharnelLord666CharnelLord666 Edmonton, AB Canada
    edited May 2010
    Sorry if im just blind and didnt read it (its 12:00 and im tired, lol) but where is this being held?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Warren, Michigan. You'll need to buy a ticket to Expo if you'd like to participate. :)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Draft 1 pls.
    edited May 2010
    Note, had to change the info in the post. Due to scheduling conflicts, I can only run 1 draft this years. Sorry. :) It will be taking place on Thursday. The final time is still tentatively set for 12:30, and I will will post here if anything else changes.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Pencil me in, but my final participation status may depend upon what else in the schedule it conflicts with.
    edited May 2010
    Start time moved to 1:00pm to avoid conflicting with swag distribution. :)
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    in!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    IN (provided this doesn't conflict with IC Golf... I don't remember when people said that was going on)
    edited May 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    IN (provided this doesn't conflict with IC Golf... I don't remember when people said that was going on)

I believe golf is scheduled for Friday.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Count me in!
    edited May 2010
    Wow, took less than 24 hours to get 8.... :D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I am SO pumped for this!!!
    edited May 2010
    Colgere wrote:
    Wow, took less than 24 hours to get 8.... :D
    Yeah i almost didn't get in. Don't get on the internet as much on the weekends, but I made it in so yay!

So what are the current mechanics in these sets?
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I would like to be In

-Bobby
    edited May 2010
    Zanthian - I'll answer your question when I get home tonight.

Bobby - Currently the draft is full, but CB did say his inclusion was conditional on what other events might be occurring at that time, so I will put you down to be the first alternate in case he or someone else decides they can't do the draft.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    :eek::wtf::(:mad::bawling:

-Bobby
    edited May 2010
    Now to Zanthian's question:

Zendikar Mechanics

Kicker - Zendikar brought back the "kicker" mechanic, which is simply an additional cost that can be paid at the time you play a spell in order to gain an additional effect. Cards that have kicker usually have reminder text about this and explain what benefit you get from paying the kicker cost.

Landfall - Zendikar also introduced a new mechanic: Landfall. If a card you control has this mechanic, it triggers whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control. To see some examples of landfall cards, go here, as I think the examples there will explain it better than I can.

Worldwake Mechanics

For Worldwake mechanics, go here. This page explains the mechanics thoroughly.

Rise of the Eldrazi Mechanics

Likewise, I recommend going here for the Rise of the Eldrazi mechanics.

If you have any questions about the mechanics, or if anyone notices something I missed, let me know.
    edited May 2010
    Could we run 2 drafts simultaneously? Brenda might play again too. Not sure if we have enough.
    edited May 2010
    Could I run 2 simultaneously? If I had the space and an additional 8 players, yes. The issue is not about time to run it, as much as available space at a given time. I think for this year, I'll stick to the one draft (unless something unexpected presents itself), and work on a solution for next year to allow more drafts without hogging the gaming area CB needs for board gaming.
  • CharnelLord666CharnelLord666 Edmonton, AB Canada
    edited May 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Warren, Michigan. You'll need to buy a ticket to Expo if you'd like to participate. :)

Thats a problem seeing as I live in Canada, lol:p. I dont think id go as far as michigan to endulge in my nerdy habits so I'll definetly have to pass. Besides, we have a fairly big Warhammer 40k thing goin on at our GW on the 20th so I should be satisfied.:buck:
    edited May 2010
    Ben thanks for the followup and links!
    Colgere wrote:
    Now to Zanthian's question:

Zendikar Mechanics

Kicker - Zendikar brought back the "kicker" mechanic, which is simply an additional cost that can be paid at the time you play a spell in order to gain an additional effect. Cards that have kicker usually have reminder text about this and explain what benefit you get from paying the kicker cost.

Landfall - Zendikar also introduced a new mechanic: Landfall. If a card you control has this mechanic, it triggers whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control. To see some examples of landfall cards, go here, as I think the examples there will explain it better than I can.

Worldwake Mechanics

For Worldwake mechanics, go here. This page explains the mechanics thoroughly.

Rise of the Eldrazi Mechanics

Likewise, I recommend going here for the Rise of the Eldrazi mechanics.

If you have any questions about the mechanics, or if anyone notices something I missed, let me know.
    edited May 2010
    Ok a few concerns.
    1) It occurs to me that the better way to sign up for this tournament would have been to give the people that have paid to attend EPIC and checked the box for playing in the tournament first dibs over those who have not paid to attend yet. Otherwise why is there a checkbox for it when paying?

2) If space is a concern for multiple tourneys at once, can we utilize the La Quinta inn were many of us are staying? Perhaps we could call and inquire about their breakfast room, if it is not in use during the rest of the day. Just an idea.
    edited May 2010
    Zanthian wrote:
    Ok a few concerns.
    1) It occurs to me that the better way to sign up for this tournament would have been to give the people that have paid to attend EPIC and checked the box for playing in the tournament first dibs over those who have not paid to attend yet. Otherwise why is there a checkbox for it when paying?

2) If space is a concern for multiple tourneys at once, can we utilize the La Quinta inn were many of us are staying? Perhaps we could call and inquire about their breakfast room, if it is not in use during the rest of the day. Just an idea.

1.) This event last year was not an "official" event, it was just something I volunteered to do, and I was operating under the same assumption this year. I was not aware it was going to be made an official event (and have a checkbox option on the signup form) until I had already started the signup for the event, and as you are aware, the event filled in less than a day, so I didn't have time to implement it in any way.

2.) I can inquire into it, but if it isn't free, I doubt it'd be feasible for this year.
    edited May 2010
    The sign up form checkboxes were simply to gauge interest. There's little official about anything we do. :p
    edited May 2010
    Then perhaps a suggestion for future years on the pay and check box ;)