can someone please teach me some basic scripts?

the-keeperthe-keeper New Zealand
edited May 2010 in Hardware
hey, i want to learn how to write scripts, but i dont know where to start, and i have no1 to teach me, can someone help me plz?

Comments

• the-keeperthe-keeper New Zealand
    edited May 2010
    it would be a great hand if some1 could teach me =]
  • clifford_cooleyclifford_cooley Arkansas, USA Member
    edited May 2010
    From the Run Box type cmd to open a Command Line window.
    Type "Help" from the command line. This will show you all the command's you can use in your script.

If you want specific help type the name of the command as a parameter behind Help.
    Here is an example of a specific help topic for the Copy command, "help copy".
    Here is an example of a specific help topic for the For command, "help for".
    edited May 2010
    If you prefer an online reference base, here is a link to "Command-line reference A-Z" from Microsoft.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490890.aspx
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    It would probably be fair to ask, what OS are you looking to write scripts for? Scripting for Windows is significantly different than scripting for *nix systems (including OSX).
    edited May 2010
    Before you start learning scripts, you need to have a basic understanding of all the commandline commands. Read through all the commands and what their functions are.

Once you understand their functions, you can then start adding them to a comandline script which is a list of commands that are executed one at a time. You can also control which lines are executed by labeling certain lines and using the Goto command.

I think this is enough to keep you going for a bit. :)
  • edited May 2010
    Google it. You will find more information than you can imagine.

Assuming that you want to script in DOS/Windows environment, here are one search link and another.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    If you want to get a jump on things, skip batch scripting and move to Power shell. It's not too difficult but more powerful and what many Microsoft applications have commands built in.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Also... Forums are not good for teaching things like scripts. We are a good resource if you get stuck. Either look for a computer class, learn like most of us did by doing google searches and trying things, or buy a book and try it that way.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Thread closed. Let's stick with one at a time, plz.
This discussion has been closed.