Students offered absurd deal on Windows 7 and Office 2010

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
edited June 2010 in Science & Tech

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I've had the office 2007 student "ultimate steal" for a while. It's a great deal, and it's nice to have bought the software too ;)

Probably going to pass on this because I have plenty of copies of win7 through MSDN:AA and office 2007 is good enough for how much i actually use it.
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    This is a problem. The Win7 Professional Upgrade can only upgrade Vista Business. Users of Vista Home Premium, Vista Basic, and Vista Ultimate would be required to blow away their Vista install in order to put on 7. It's a horrible idea, because students are by and large not likely to be running Business. If they were going to do this right, they'd offer Ultimate, since Ultimate is the only version that can successfully upgrade from every mainstream version of Vista. But in typical Microsoft fashion, even when they're trying to be helpful, they completely fail.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Don't be silly. Everyone knows you don't need a previous OS to install the student Windows 7 Upgrade on a bare drive.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    you don't need a previous OS to install the student Windows 7 Upgrade on a bare drive
    Yup. Five upgrades on five different computers, all with freshly formatted drives, all upgraded with "Upgrade" Windows 7 versions.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    This offer has been around for a long while now and you can even download, then call Microsoft and they will send you the DVD free of charge.

Also, I only paid $29.99 for Win7 Pro 64 back in October...
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited June 2010
    Is this largely only offered to the US or is there a list of international schools this will be available for?
  • edited June 2010
    Thank you Ubuntu for keeping the competition on its toes.

I think the discounted version will stem the loss to Operating Systems like Ubuntu.

I wonder what Google Chrome will make them offer!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I'm fair certain neither ChromeOS nor Ubuntu have the influence on Microsoft pricing that you are proposing.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I'm irritated there's no upgrade version of Office. I just bought copies of 2007 a few months ago, and the beta 2010 has some UI changes that make it a lot less painful to use.
  • edited June 2010
    Students of Kaplan University get windows 7 free. Not sure why other students can't get in on that.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    student wrote:
    Students of Kaplan University get windows 7 free. Not sure why other students can't get in on that.

Kaplan is a for profit University, it's a whole different dynamic than regular universities where they can form special partnerships. The reason it is free is because somehow its a win-win business decision for both sides of the coin.
    edited June 2010
    drasnor wrote:
    Don't be silly. Everyone knows you don't need a previous OS to install the student Windows 7 Upgrade on a bare drive.

I'm not being silly. That's a fresh install. What I'm saying is you can't do an upgrade installation.
  • edited June 2010
    What this article is missing is what the programs included in this student version of Office are.

I assume Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook?
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    RyanMeray wrote:
    I'm not being silly. That's a fresh install. What I'm saying is you can't do an upgrade installation.
    I see what you mean. Still though, you can get Win7 Home Premium through the same program.
    edited June 2010
    drasnor wrote:
    I see what you mean. Still though, you can get Win7 Home Premium through the same program.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.