Confirmed: Ashoka cancelled - Food Tour @ Expo IC 2010. Replaced with Red Hot & Blue

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited June 2010 in Community
I called to confirm our reservations today, and Ashoka acted like they were avoiding me; finally I got it out of them: They decided they don't have room for us on Saturday evening because "Our restaurant is already full every Saturday. We cannot accommodate."

They have a bigger location in Canton, MI, and I called the owner. She said they could accommodate us, but Canton is too far from ICHQ to make this an effective food tour stop. It's an hour drive, easy. Trying to get 48 people to a city 40 miles away and back in the middle of EPIC2010 is probably too much of an undertaking. It will add a solid two hours to the event which will heavily cut into our schedule.

That said, this may be the perfect opportunity to cancel Ashoka as a destination entirely and replace it with BBQ.

HOWEVER:

I only have a small charcoal grill. We would need several bags of charcoal, and it would take many, many "shifts" on the grill to cook for everybody. I don't think, honestly, that we're set up for grilling for all 60 people.

Saturday may just be a wash—everybody may be on their own that night for dinner.

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2010
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    For 10-12 bucks a person we could rent the smoker and do smoked pulled pork and sides.
    edited June 2010
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    here's the thing: I don't have time or resources to handle this, so if people want to rent a grill and get that going, consider this:

There will be no way to "roll" anything through the yard to the patio area. The tent completely blocks off access to anything larger than a person.

There is no room for a grill in the garage for storage: if a grill is going to be put in the driveway, it would have to be returned the same day, because I don't think we should risk having an expensive rental grill in the driveway overnight.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Since Ashoka is canceled, I'm going to a place in Warren called American Pie.

It's all-you-can-eat pizza (and pasta, bread, salad, macaroni & cheese, pop and dessert) for like $8 cash. Yeah, less than $10. You can eat your fill.

The booths are enormous, it can handle a ton of people, it's buffet style, and it's pretty loltastic.

Payment must be made up-front in cash.

Would you like to know more?
    edited June 2010
    I don't mind doing it. All we have to do is park a car behind the thing and nobody could wheel it out of the driveway. But, if you think its a bad idea i am not going to push it.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I'm in for the pizza place.
    edited June 2010
    I'm fine with the idea, I'm just playing devil's advocate and disavowing any responsibility for it. If someone else wants to handle the logistics, go for it.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I think you may be overestimating the distance between Canton and Warren. Google and Mapquest both have it at 34 minutes by car from ICHQ to the Ashoka in Canton. That may still be too far but it's certainly not an hours drive.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    It'll be +10-20 minutes easy with traffic.
    edited June 2010
    It IS an hour drive when you factor in traffic + a huge caravan of out-of-towners.

Trust me, we've done this before and it's never as easy as you think.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Should we move the barbecue to Saturday on the schedule, then? I have removed Ashoka.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I'm proposing Red Hot & Blue as a last-minute stand-in for Ashoka. Quality eats, old favorite of the IC crew, it's BBQ-tastic, and they can probably take our party on 4-days notice.
    edited June 2010
    I concur.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    LMK what you guys decide and I'll mod the schedule accordingly. :thumbsup:
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Lincoln wrote:
    I'm proposing Red Hot & Blue as a last-minute stand-in for Ashoka. Quality eats, old favorite of the IC crew, it's BBQ-tastic, and they can probably take our party on 4-days notice.
    I haven't been there since at least 2003... Sounds good!
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Motion 3rd'd for Red Hot and Blue, 1 bowl of awesome please. That makes 3 officers of Icrontic, motion carried {Whack!}

BBQ can still go on at ICHQ for those that want to, of course.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I think people can handle BBQ twice in one week. It sounds good to me.
    edited June 2010
    I will call RH&B tomorrow and see if they can accommodate us. :)
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I like where this is going

-Bobby
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I'm up for RH&B too... which ever.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    We should go to Hu Hot!... :D
    edited June 2010
    edited June 2010
    :bawling:
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    RH&B sounds awesome to me as well. If that doesn't work, the pizza place Thrax mentioned would make an excellent "can take us no matter what" backup. Makes the most strategic sense.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Red Hot and Blue, yes!!
    edited June 2010
    WagsFTW wrote:
    Red Hot and Blue, yes!!
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Hu Hot, and Thang Long were awesome! Red Hot and Blue was good. For me, it's a good thing that I won't be forcing Indian food through my body for a second time in less than a week!
    edited June 2010
    Hu Hot is out of business, sadly :(
    edited June 2010
    Confirmed: Red Hot & Blue 5pm Saturday instead of Ashoka