Feedback needed on sponsorship program

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited July 2010 in Community
Hey IC community:

Recently we launched our day sponsor program, and Paradox Interactive stepped up to be the first sponsor.

We put their message in front of every single Icrontic page view (over 42,000 pageviews over the course of two days).

The end results?

17 people clicked out on those links.

That's, frankly, an embarrassingly bad number. It's horrible.

I'm confused, because we got a lot of community interaction in Paradox's high five thread, yet only 17 people clicked out to check out ShipSim.com (and a few of those weren't even community members - I think they were readers of our article content that had landed here from Google, based on stats)

Now, I'm asking you guys: Why is that?

What can we do better to make those kinds of messages more compelling? I want to be able to deliver better feedback to our sponsors, and I'm hoping you guys can help me crack this nut.

Thoughts?

Comments

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I am not quite sure, I was one of the 17. I came to read some threads and saw the link at the top of the thread and thought it sounded interesting so I clicked it. I liked the format of the link being at the top of each thread. I guess i am not the use case you were looking for ;)
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I have to admit, I'm not 100% sure I noticed the link. I read all the content on the site about the ship sim. I purchased Lead and Gold this weekend and talked about it. I guess if I'm in your position I might be able to say the link count does not tell the entire story.

As a member of Icrontic Paradox is more on my radar than ever.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I noticed it because I looked for it. For the normal forum-goer who just goes to new posts and clicks the arrow that brings them to their most recently unread posts, it bypasses the top of the thread entirely.

That, and I personally am not terribly interested in a ship sim at the moment. It is, however, more on my radar than it was, to mirror Cliff's sentiment.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I think there was a great response fromt the community in the high-five thread. They got their message out to a great number of people. If I am on the market for a ship simulator game you can bet I will look to Paradox.

But, in the same breath it is a Ship Simulator game. Marketing 101, you deliver your message to a place where it will best reach your target market. Sure we have a lot of gamers here but you can't just assume because someone plays computer games they will have interest in this particular type of game.

You cannot judge the success of this thing from that click through number alone and on this first case basis because I just don't think it was the proper item to market to this community.

A good step would be to figure out what people around here like and gather demographics. You need to be able to go to a videogame developer/publisher and say I have a community of X number of people where XX% play FPS videogames 10-15 hours a week. I bet they would be interested to get that community's feedback on the FPS game they have in the works, and i also would bet that the response would be far greater if the topic was geared towards the community.

Just an idea.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    So we're abandoning CPM by going back to CPC? I told you from the start: judging this by click-thrus is a mistake and sets the wrong tone for what's being accomplished for the sponsor. You've bought into the mythical value of the click harder than advertisers.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Also: if you want to deliver better feedback, how many people clicked a link won't tell you that. The discussion in the thread is the feedback.
    edited July 2010
    On Mon-Tues last week (the 2 days before the sponsorship), we delivered 28,600 Google ad impressions with a total of 86 clicks across the entire site. That's 86 random search-followers clicking on arbitrary flashing art. Then you tell me we got 17 members seeking out ShipSim specifically and clicked THAT SPECIFIC hyperlink at THAT MOMENT to visit their site, and you think that's poor click performance? I don't get it.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    The high five thread has 503 views with 19 responses. From my own observations a thread on IC is getting decent interest when there are 100+ views per 10 post.

The other thing to notice is that we put an article about the boat sim up on the 16th and then did the sponsor thing on the 21st. The article included a vid for the game with no real game place included. See we have boats on the water, see we have environment around your boat, see we have boats that are effected by our environment. I think I clicked on the link just to see their web page but did not stick around.

It felt like all the bases were covered by the article, vid, and forum thread for me not to go their website unless that was the only way to get a demo of the game to screw around with.

The game might be interesting if I liked boats but I do not and it seems like most of us do not really care about boats. Granted I think there would of been more interest if it was known you could ram a cruise liner into Somalia pirates and then shoot an RPG off the deck into the night sky that exploded in fireworks that made a portrait of T-Pain, shortly followed by mermaids beaching themselves on the deck of said cruise liner. Then I might be interested.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I have to admit, I'm not 100% sure I noticed the link.

Yup, as a seasoned internet user, I pretty much ignore all ads, Icrontic or not.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I have to admit, I'm not 100% sure I noticed the link.

Same here. If the "sponsored by Paradox" banner thing at the top of the page was a link I didn't even know. Also the ship simulator isn't exactly something I'm interested in but I have looked over Lead and Gold which I can assure you I wouldn't have noticed if not for their sponsorship.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    This is great feedback, thanks guys :)
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Umm...Ship Sim is not really a good game? Well it might be but definitely not Icrontic's version of a good game, it's a REALLY new and strange concept. They should of advertised Mount and Blade Warband or Hearts of Iron 3.

just my two cents...Icrontic is all about the multiplayer fighting/shooting games. Not weird simulators....
    edited July 2010
    I wouldn't say "Icrontic is all about multiplayer fighting/shooting games".
    edited July 2010

Huh? Are you serious? What about the constant TF2 matches? Shattered Horizon? The WoW guild? Alien Swarm?

Oh, and don't forget LFD and LFD2
    edited July 2010
    What about the constant Civ matches?WoW (not a shooter/fighter!)? Board games? D&D?

If you're looking for something, you'll find it.
    edited July 2010
    What about the constant Civ matches?WoW (not a shooter/fighter!)? Board games? D&D?

If you're looking for something, you'll find it.

Civ matches? since when? This is new info for me...

and yes, WoW is a fighter game, an MMORPG but still. Ever played battlegrounds? It's very PVP oriented....

Board games? I guess if you're at ICHQ...
    edited July 2010
    Not trying to argue with you Prime, just pointing out Icrontic is shooter game intensive...

edit: and getting a sponsorship that gears towards that would prob get ALOT more then 17 clicks...
  • JingallsJingalls Eugene, OR
    edited July 2010
    Yes many Icrontic members play those games, but that's not all they do. I only play one of those games you mentioned, and I'm sure many of Icrontic's members don't play any of them.

In response to the original topic, I just didn't find the prospect of a ship simulator to be very intriguing.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2010

I'll say. At epic 2009 you saw every type of game, covering multiple genres. If you could play it, chances were there was someone there that was proficient in it.

Sure TF2 is a common thread for most folks, but beyond that people all had varied interests. I saw allot of people play Civilization. I overhead plenty of conversation about WOW. I got into a few good conversations about retro gaming.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I'd say IC really does fall along typical lines: 4X, RTS, RPG and FPS. I haven't seen anyone talk about an honest to goodness sim in years.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Perhaps if it was a different type of sim... something wonky like Hospital Tycoon (or any of the Tycoon games for that matter) it would have piqued more interest. A Ship Sim is a very niche product though and I wouldn't expect a ton of clicks for it to be honest. That said, placement was definitely an issue. Perhaps if you put the ad at the top of the discussion and just above the reply box since people are probably more likely to see and pay attention to things toward that general area of the thread.
    edited July 2010
    Back to clicks, we also failed to track clicks on the links in the post, and the post itself didn't highlight the "sponsored" bit above it.
    edited July 2010
    Lincoln wrote:
    clicks on the links in the post, and the post itself didn't highlight the "sponsored" bit above it.

I would be much more inclined to wait and click a link the forum thread then a header advert simply on the basis that as I read info from the thread I can open links in a new tab in the order that the information is presented so I can follow ideas and thought processes easily.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Gotta go with fatcat and cliff on this one, my brain straight up processed out the link.

The high five thread put Paradox in my brain, though, kind of like how all that Saboteur coverage put Pandemic in my brain. Of course, you can't exactly track or market that, I suppose. :S
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Hospital Tycoon sounds like a ridiculous amount of fun. I'm not sure why, though.
    edited July 2010
    Annes wrote:
    Hospital Tycoon sounds like a ridiculous amount of fun. I'm not sure why, though.

I've played it. The concept is really cool and they add a lot of humor into it but the graphics are about 7 years older then they should be...That's its only draw back though :D
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    To be honest with you, my view is because the presentation is woeful. That may sound harsh (and is absolutely no slight on Matt or yourself) but a tiny little logo and unbolded text does not target one smidge. It just gets lost in the flow of boxes.

Take a look at the register and reghardware.. Default layout & style day in day out.

But on the subsections when "sponsored".. the black background goes, replaced with an image of the sponsors product, the reghardware/register logo is adjoined with the sponsor and even changes from their red to the sponsors corporate colour. It's impact, it's their brand. Massive visual impact. Does it prevent the reader from reading the content as before ... no ... but damn you cannot miss the sponsor either. Sadly they don't have one today but I will update this thread once they do one at some point this week.

Sort the presentation out first and then the value can be found :)
    edited July 2010
    ^.

I didn't really NZXT was a day sponsor until I was looking at active threads. There is a lot of room at the top of all the pages next to the IC logo that could have a sponsors image slammed on it or even loose the IC logo and cover that whole empty space with theirs. Then a short message with links. Unless you read where you normally expect no text you would miss the banner.

Make it bigger and put it some place where it is almost annoying. Right now it is so unobtrusive that it is too unobtrusive.
  • edited July 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    Make it bigger and put it some place where it is almost annoying. Right now it is so unobtrusive that it is too unobtrusive.

A click on the link to the sponsored thread could bring a frame of the sponsor website above the actual thread (e.g. see Google image search) If the visitor does not click somewhere in the frame of sponsor website, frame of the sponsor website shrinks to the top/side. I think this is acceptable.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Know how some websites have a little Twitter bird that says "Follow Us"..it is unobtrusive, and always on the bottom left or bottom right. It smoothly scrolls with the page, and it is always visible.

THAT is what I would like to see. Except not a blue bird, the sponsor's logo and a brief that text that says "Sponsored By:". Simple, noticeable, always on the screen, not at all annoying for the reader.