• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    yes! I can't wait for this.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Yum! So excited.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Very cool. Thanks for arranging this Ryan.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    I'm In!! Flights have been booked. The evening flights on Thursday were $300, but only $65 to fly into Dayton, so I will be doing that and then riding up to Detroit with CB. I will be flying back to Orlando from Detroit on Monday afternoon. See you all there!! My costume is coming along nicely.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    RyanMeray wrote:
    As you can see, Barrel-aged dark ales took the cake.

Sweet! And thanks again in advance for organizing all this, Ryan. This sounds wonderful.

Though, as a minor suggestion, you may want to consider pushing the times back a little bit to take into account dinner plans. 6:30-7:00 sounds a little early. If there's a "mass outing", say most of us go to restaurant xyz, just make the time 30 minutes after we return, or whatever.

Again, no biggie, I just don't want anyone feeling like they have to choose between this wonderful beer tasting experience and a chance to sample the local cuisine that night.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    I say we do it BEFORE dinner. The last thing I want is to have too many drinks in me before I start tasting some of Ryan's best brews.

And no, I don't have any self control. Like you haven't noticed.
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Supposing everyone who's "in" is going to be in a drinking mood at 4/4:30-ish, we could definitely do it before dinner.
    edited October 2010
    RyanMeray wrote:
    Supposing everyone who's "in" is going to be in a drinking mood at 4/4:30-ish, we could definitely do it before dinner.

I would prefer drinking after dinner. I've always been an "alcohol after food" type of guy. I prefer food already in the stomach, and the booze to come afterwards. Since I'm not starving, and yearning for something more solid, it lets me savor the beverage more.

Ultimately I'm flexible, I WILL enjoy it before dinner if that's what the vote swings, but my preferences are as such.
    edited October 2010
    Annes wrote:
    I say we do it BEFORE dinner. The last thing I want is to have too many drinks in me before I start tasting some of Ryan's best brews.

Also would rather drink before dinner. I prefer to drink on an empty stomach.
    edited October 2010
    Sounds like I need a new survey. lol
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    I'd prefer before. Normally I drink after, but for fine brews, always before.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Looks like this is shaping up to be the best ICOK ever. Too bad I can't join you.

Have a blast for me!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    +1 before dinner.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    I'm fine with before dinner as long as we have lots of snacks on hand. Lord knows I'm a light weight. I don't want to pull an Eggroll in the bathroom at the dinner location.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    I'm fine with before dinner as long as we have lots of snacks on hand. Lord knows I'm a light weight. I don't want to pull an Eggroll in the bathroom at the dinner location.

and then the next day at the breakfast location... but that was more on the bathroom than in it. ;)<3 poor eggy
    edited October 2010

6 beers * 2.2 oz = 13.2 oz = approx. 1 bottle of beer.

We're not pounding them here.

But, we could get some fine sharp cheeses and dark chocolate to pair. Go for a whole Finer Things Club. Everyone needs to dress sharp (no dress/skirts below the knee.)
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    HAY NO CAM*hic*CAMERAS

hay no cameras.png

edit: no shop
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    I would love to go cheese shopping with Icrontic. I'll make sure to pack something nice for the tasting.
    edited October 2010
    Annes wrote:
    I would love to go cheese shopping with Icrontic. I'll make sure to pack something nice for the tasting.

Yeah would be fun to make a trip of it, or everyone just bring something to surprise the group with.
    edited October 2010
    MAGIC wrote:

We're not pounding them here.

But, we could get some fine sharp cheeses and dark chocolate to pair. Go for a whole Finer Things Club. Everyone needs to dress sharp (no dress/skirts below the knee.)

You have met me, right? My name is Jacqueline "Lightweight" DiOrio

But I'm not actually really worried. :D

Also YUSPLZCHEEEESE
    edited October 2010
    You have met me, right? My name is Jacqueline "Lightweight" DiOrio

But I'm not actually really worried. :D

Also YUSPLZCHEEEESE

Man up.
    edited October 2010
    MAGIC wrote:
    Man up.

Finnnne. If I must confess, my middle name is actually "Drunky McDrunkerson."
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    That's two names...
    edited October 2010
    Crazy Joe wrote:
    That's two names...

Dual middle names is all the rage these days.
    edited October 2010
    MAGIC wrote:

Not quite; that 13.2 oz number is a bit deceptive by itself. I actually ended up acquiring a 7th that rounds out the selection nicely, to make up for a slight reduction in pours since we're seating 11 instead of the 10 I'd estimated. The samples will vary between 2 ounces and 2.3 ounces, for a total of 15.3 ounces of beer. The average ABV (weighted by portion) is 10.57%.

Drinking all the beer will be like drinking 32 ounces of Budweiser, 27 ounces of Oberon, or 17 ounces of Sam Adams Imperial Stout.

In other words, you may not want to drink all of the beer if you're a lightweight. Sipping is going to be the order of the day, especially during the part of the tasting where you're trying to gather impression of taste, palate, and aroma.

I would highly endorse the food ideas. Good pairings: Rich cheeses, chocolate, crackers, and even vanilla ice cream if you want something to clean your palate of the ale.

I'll leave it up to you guys to bring whatever you like or coordinate on some stuff. You may want to talk amongst yourselves so we don't end up with 50 lbs of cheese. ;)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Somebody always says "nobody will ever eat all of that!" when a huge mass of food arrives, but it <i>always</i> gets eaten.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    That's only partially true. After every Icrontic event, there are always a few boxes of leftovers (restaurant food) in the fridge.

Most of them say "GQ" on them
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    That's only partially true. After every Icrontic event, there are always a few boxes of leftovers (restaurant food) in the fridge.

Most of them say "GQ" on them

If you listen to the ICHQ refrigerators very closely, you can hear the faint echo of plaintive whines that bear an uncanny resemblance to "NO, I'LL REALLY EAT THE LEFTOVERS. NO, I ALWAYS DO."
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    To be fair, one time she did.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    One time is all a woman needs for "always."