October 2010 Challenge: 150 cals/day or GTFO

2»

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    I keep forgetting to turn my app off when I arrive somewhere. Then, just because I'm obsessive about data quality, I have to edit the GPX file to clean out all the points in one place at the end.

I don't know what it is about my personality that loves tracking and quantifying. Checking my Folding PPD (remember Folding?), now my calories burned...

I'm thinking if I kept track of other things (how much time I spend quantifying random stuff and not doing work, for instance), I'd be more productive.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Gargoyle wrote:
    I keep forgetting to turn my app off when I arrive somewhere. Then, just because I'm obsessive about data quality, I have to edit the GPX file to clean out all the points in one place at the end.

I don't know what it is about my personality that loves tracking and quantifying. Checking my Folding PPD (remember Folding?), now my calories burned...

I'm thinking if I kept track of other things (how much time I spend quantifying random stuff and not doing work, for instance), I'd be more productive.

rescuetime.com

I mean... I totally am not the same way. At all.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    The best part about the map on the app is that if you're listening to music while working out, it'll make note of where the song changes happen, and even tell you what song it is if you click on the icons.

This is PERFECT for if you have a setlist that you train with to determine if you're ahead or behind pace. Also helpful if you want to remember a song while exercising but can't bother to look at it.
    edited October 2010
    rescuetime.com

I mean... I totally am not the same way. At all.

I am simultaneously hesitant to open that link and have already done so in another tab.
    UPSLynx wrote:
    The best part about the map on the app is that if you're listening to music while working out, it'll make note of where the song changes happen, and even tell you what song it is if you click on the icons.

This is PERFECT for if you have a setlist that you train with to determine if you're ahead or behind pace. Also helpful if you want to remember a song while exercising but can't bother to look at it.

It'd be awesome if that worked in conjunction with streaming music, since it'd be songs that you likely wouldn't know in the first place.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    My silly Palm Pre does not have an app for this, I cannot wait until the Epic is available for me next month so that I can have an Android phone...
    edited October 2010
    Dude.... have you guys seen the "peptalk" feature?

You can send messages to friends that are working out at that very instant. The message is converted and played back to the exerciser in their headphones via text to speech.

This could be hilarious. We've got to try it out.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    "Bobby, stop running so fast, you're altering the rotational speed of the planet. Nooooo.... Bobbbbbyyyyy.... You're killliiinnnggg usssssss"
    edited October 2010
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Dude.... have you guys seen the "peptalk" feature?

You can send messages to friends that are working out at that very instant. The message is converted and played back to the exerciser in their headphones via text to speech.

This could be hilarious. We've got to try it out.

Oh yeah, have had much fun with this. :)

This is where the 'post to twitter/facebook when i start my workout' option comes in.
    edited October 2010
    This is already making me ride my bike more. On days when I'm lazy and thinking about taking the bus, the urge to build up my numbers wins. I'm such a geek, but at least I'm leveraging my obsessions constructively.
    edited October 2010
    Gargoyle wrote:
    This is already making me ride my bike more. On days when I'm lazy and thinking about taking the bus, the urge to build up my numbers wins. I'm such a geek, but at least I'm leveraging my obsessions constructively.

That's the idea. :)
    edited November 2010
    This was a fail x 9. too ambitious?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    I probably would not have made the total calorie goal, but my number would have been a lot larger if workouts were easier to track. Instead, I found myself unmotivated to log into the site and manually enter every workout. It's unlikely that I'll have a phone capable of running the Endomondo app anytime soon, so until they improve their tracking interface on the web, I won't be tracking. :(
    edited November 2010
    I agree, but keep in mind it's not necessary to map out the workouts. If you know the distance and duration, you can just type it in. But yes, I understand what you're saying.
    edited November 2010
    I'm ready to do this again. I think I was on track to meet the goal, but I joined too late.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    My problem is that the exercising I do - soccer, "boot camp" style workouts, yoga, and swimming - is shitty to track on the site. So I just don't do it.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    I use the elliptical for cardio, and end up tracking it as running, although it calculates calories burned incorrectly.
    edited November 2010
    Not too ambitious. I'm just stuck in that weird limbo where it's too cold to want to run outside everyday, trying to get into the gym/upper body groove, and mess with all the Holiday madness. I always slow down in fitness at this time.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Andrew and I have been able to keep up with it. Last week, we just altered our week to be Wed/Thurs our days off from working out, and Thursday was our day off the diet, instead of Saturday. Hope to be able to do that also during Christmas.
    edited November 2010
    *sigh* I need to get back to the gym. I wasn't going when I was seeing Heather because I spent all my time with her and since she left I've been too busy moping. Balls.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    *ahem* In the words of Reddit:

Lawyer up
    Delete from Facebook
    Hit the gym
    edited November 2010
    I don't get it.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    So I heard endorphins can help cure moping. True story.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Annes wrote:
    *ahem* In the words of Reddit:

Lawyer up
    Delete from Facebook
    Hit the gym

Wrong meme.

Cut all contact.
    Delete from Facebook.
    Hit the gym.