Missing or corrupt file

edited October 2010 in Hardware
Pc will not boot even from recovery disc. The error message reads: Missing or corrupt file, System 32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

Please help

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    tomee1 wrote:
    Pc will not boot even from recovery disc. The error message reads: Missing or corrupt file, System 32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

Please help

If what you say is true, then you have both an issue with your HDD and your optical drive, which is not likely, but possible. I would get a copy of UBCD and use it to test your HDD for errors. If you can't boot from that CD, then you have either an ODD problem or a motherboard problem. If you have a windows recovery disc (that matches your installed version of windows, to the service pack), and you rule out HDD failure, you can then use the windows CD to fix those files offline, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    If you've got Windows XP, check out Thrax's expertly written piece on Repairing Windows XP in Eight Commands.
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks for your replies. Recovery disc freezes when it gives the option of repair or reinstall. Ran hard disc diagnostics and it indicates a 'fail'. ?? Changed graphics card but no change.
    edited October 2010
    If you ran HDD diag and it failed, that would indicate a bad HDD, not a graphics problem. You need to buy a new HDD and do a clean install of Windows onto that drive. If you want to attempt to backup files off the old drive, that is possible but not important without a separate drive to transfer the stuff onto.
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks Tushon, If the HDD is bad is it possible to salvage files from it. Have an external hard drive plugged in.
    edited October 2010
    To do that, I would encourage you to use something like the Ubuntu LiveCD (UBCD doesn't have a good GUI for file transfer to my knowledge, and I don't want to walk through command line file transfer) or DamnSmallLinux (way smaller file), boot from CD, then you will "mount" the bad drive. You may have to force it to mount because depending on what is failing in the drive, Ubuntu doesn't want you to mount a bad drive without knowing what you are doing. After booting from the live CD, if you see a HDD symbol on the desktop, double click on it to mount and open it then open the external HDD and copy whatever files you want. It will tell you if it fails to copy something (due to HDD corruption, etc).