Problems with new SMP Cpu client

edited November 2010 in Folding@Home
I recently reinstalled windows on my desktop in doing so I downloaded the most recent smp Cpu client which awesomely enough doesn't require installation :D But I have been having a couple of problems with this client.

1. Everytime without fail when I play a video within 10 Minutes of the video playing FahCore_a3.exe stops responding and I have to quickly kill and reopen the client before it trys to delete the workload.

2. While folding and watching videos at the same time I've been recently getting BSOD'S the BSOD's say that they were caused by my Nvidia graphics drivers or Win32.sys (Some of each) (Yes I have tried removing and reinstalling drivers and I have the newest 260.99 WHQL Nvidia Drivers)

I was wondering whether anyone else has been having either of these problems?

Comments

  • _k_k P-Town, Texas
    edited November 2010
    1. Have you checked with most of your games or just the ones you have been playing? I have run into instances with certain installs where f@h writing gets jacked by a program or two, though I no longer experience any problems with that. Time and my practices resolved that issue.

    2. Have you tried reloading the folding client after reinstalling the drivers? Is this with just a SMP client or is a GPU client involved?

    Sounds like a larger problem being manifested through the way f@h is operating. Of course the simple solution is to close the SMP client when you want to play video games and then launch it when you are done, this is what I do along with pausing GPU3.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA
    edited November 2010
    I'd also suggest trying two things. Run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt to ensure file integrity of windows files, then use a program like driver sweeper to remove your nvidia display drivers, reinstall from 260.99, reboot, then try running the SMP client again. I agree with k that there is probably a larger issue. My folding client would report as hung (in HFM) but be fine after I stopped playing w/e game and let it sit for a while.
  • edited November 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    1. Have you checked with most of your games or just the ones you have been playing? I have run into instances with certain installs where f@h writing gets jacked by a program or two, though I no longer experience any problems with that. Time and my practices resolved that issue.

    2. Have you tried reloading the folding client after reinstalling the drivers? Is this with just a SMP client or is a GPU client involved?

    Sounds like a larger problem being manifested through the way f@h is operating. Of course the simple solution is to close the SMP client when you want to play video games and then launch it when you are done, this is what I do along with pausing GPU3.

    Thanks for the reply, sorry I'm talking about videos not games, Yeah I've tried reloading the folding client after reinstalling the drivers and the same thing happens. The Blue screens only happen occasionally and seem to be caused by the GPU client while the Cpu folding core always stops responding in the middle of a video. Recently I have been closing the cpu clent before playing a video, I was just wondering if anyone else had been having this problem. I guess i was probably just unlucky, I'll reinstall windows again when I get back from my holiday and that should hopefully solve the issue.
    Tushon wrote:
    I'd also suggest trying two things. Run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt to ensure file integrity of windows files, then use a program like driver sweeper to remove your nvidia display drivers, reinstall from 260.99, reboot, then try running the SMP client again. I agree with k that there is probably a larger issue. My folding client would report as hung (in HFM) but be fine after I stopped playing w/e game and let it sit for a while.

    Thanks for the reply, I'll try the scan now. Whenever I update/reinstall my drivers, I always uninstall the drivers, reboot into safe mode, use DriverSweeper to delete any undeleted files and then install the drivers. (Just to be safe) I've tried leaving the cpu client sit after the core stops responding but the client just deletes the current workload as the core crashed.

    EDIT: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas
    edited November 2010
    *ITS A ROLLBACK BABY*

    Roll back video drivers.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, SFC was a long shot. I would try rolling back video drivers to .89 and see if that helps. Still rather strange.
  • edited November 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    *ITS A ROLLBACK BABY*

    Roll back video drivers.
    Tushon wrote:
    Yeah, SFC was a long shot. I would try rolling back video drivers to .89 and see if that helps. Still rather strange.



    I tried rolling back to my previous driver and the problem with the cpu client continues to persist but I think the BSOD's might of stopped (fingers crossed). I've started to get used to closing the cpu client when I want to watch a video, and I don't have enough time at the moment to do a full reinstall of windows etc at the moment so I think I will just leave it till I get back. Thanks for the help anyway, at least the BSOD'S have stopped :D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska
    edited November 2010
    What CPU are you using? What are the configuration settings of the SMP client?
  • edited November 2010
    Leonardo wrote:
    What CPU are you using? What are the configuration settings of the SMP client?

    My cpu is a Q6600 at stock speeds and most the the settings are set to default. This problem seems to of gone now :D either reinstalling the drivers fixed both issues, or the cpu core crashing just randomly stopped. :D
Sign In or Register to comment.