Ordered a new HDD this AM!!

CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
edited June 2003 in Hardware
120GB WDD w. 8MB cache, to replace my loyal and trustworthy Maxtor 40GB, 2MB cache. My system needs rebuilt (18 months of cruft), and incrementally trying to back up all the stuff that's there now would prove to time consuming. So I'm laying in bed this AM, waking up, mulling my options when it hits me, "THROW MONEY AT THE PROBLEM!!!!" Which is what I did. Actually looking forward to rebuilding the system on this drive AND installing all my games for the next LAN party! :) W00t indeed.

120 GB at newegg.com for $106, shipped. That my friends, is a DEAL!!!! :mullet:

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    That's my favorite backup method - just buy a new drive and copy it over later.

Have fun with all that new space.:)

Prof

PS: If you haven't done so already, please give us your input in the “Utilities Discussion – Week2” thread under General Software!!! This week we are asking for your recommended programs in these categories: HD Speed benchmark, CD Drive Speed Benchmark, Video Performance benchmark:nudge:
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    Yeah I own a pair of those, they are great PATA drives. A good choice.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    caffiene, u don't mind if I tell u that I got 4 Maxtor 160gb, 7200rpm, 8mb cache drives for $70 each do u? :D;D

Still, 120GB for $100 isn't a bad deal @ all...
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    Missed the 160GB for $70 deal at Staples Huh :)

Still under a $1/GB is always good
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited June 2003
    Eh, right or wrong, I am, at heart, a WDD fan. They've yet to screw me, of course, neither has Maxtor. Plus, my new WDD will have a 3 year warranty, and it's from Newegg, so I am VERY confident!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    Well, the way of the computer world is that everything will be a lot cheaper eventually. The only way to upgrade is to look for a good deal and go for it.

That's not a bad price for that drive, and I know you'll be happy with it.

Prof

(I wish I could buy my current setup at todays prices - I'd have saved enough dough to buy another really good one, too!)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    I know how ya feel prof, but hey that's the price you pay for being a geek eh? hehe Good deal Caffeine, I would pick one up myself but don't need the space at the moment, hard drives are always going for good prices now, you might have to wait for a rebate but hey it's worth it to me.
  • ReignReign New York
    edited June 2003
    Oh man you'll love that HDD.. I bought a 200 GB WD HD w/ 8mb cache and i love it. Way better than my 80gb WD w/ 2mb cache. The second i installed my OS on it, i saw a huge difference in performance and file transfering.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    And to think a 17GB hard drive 4yrs ago cost $150.