Getting Back Into Photography

jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
edited December 2010 in Lifestyle
Due to a chance encounter with a “close out” table at a Wally World I may be getting back into photography “seriously” after an absence of 30+ years. My past experience was film both 35mm and 2-1/4” x 2-1/4”. Mainly B & W (loved the darkroom) and slide.

At any rate I picked up a Nikon (my first) D5000 with an 18mm – 55mm lens. It is to replace my Fuji S500 which has been a fun basically point and shoot. The thing that prevented me from going much further was its fixed lens.

Right off the bat my first and foremost question in on lens………for me a, 18mm – 55mm would be wide angle (almost fisheye) to normal. For my 35mm days my “normal” was a 50/55mm – 120/130mm zoom. So are we talking a similar field of view or are things different in the digital world?

Open to any noobie advice y’all are willing to give!! ;D

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Your camera has an APS-C sensor, which is not a full-frame sensor. So what happens is that your 18-55 has the field of view equivalent of 27-83. Other than that, it's the same as using a standard SLR. You can read more about it here.
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited December 2010
    BTW what would be a good SD size to get for the unit as the Fuji uses the XDs??
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I'd recommend at LEAST 4gb. 8gb are cheap enough now that it shouldn't be a concern. I got a 32gb Class 10 SDHC card for $55 recently.

I'd get 8gb. It's a sweet spot.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Wow, 32GB for $55 is a steal.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Class 10! Daaaaym like a baller.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    4GB will give you 268 raw files or 500+ JPEG files. You'll probably be fine with 4GB cards, but who doesn't want more space...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, Microcenter is nuts sometimes.
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited December 2010
    Well it seems I do with cameras like I do with computers....what I have doesn't stay very long! :o

Anyway as it turns out the D5000 went back to Wally World because Costco is selling it in a combo set with some frim-fram (official Nikon camera bag, two "training" dvds, Nikon book, a 4GB card), and what I really was after - a 55 - 200 VR lens.