Recreate My RAid??

edited December 2010 in Hardware
Hi, I am in need of some major help.

I had a 1TB Lacie Desktop Hard Drive, It was 2 500gb HDD using Raid 0.
One day it literally just stopped working. To try and remedy the problem i bought a new hard drive enclosure compatible of RAID 0. When i finished installing the hard drives i plugged it in to my Mac and it read the disc but would only let me reformat it and start again. This makes me think that there is nothing wrong with the discs and that all my data, although unreachable, is still on those discs.Can some one help me and advise me on a way to recreate the original RAID array?? I still have the discs but the original enclosure does not work. I am using a Mac running Snow Leopard. Any help would be amazing.
Thanks
Steve

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    You'd have to buy exactly the same enclosure that you were originally using. Each different RAID enclosure/card handles their data slightly differently. Unless you use identical hardware you won't be able to accomplish what you're attempting.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    And this is why you don't use RAID 0 w/o other backup.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    And this is why you don't use RAID 0.

FTFY
    edited December 2010
    Lol I suppose so. RAID 5?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    And this is why you don't use any hard drive w/o other backup.

FTFY
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    Lol I suppose so. RAID 5?
    Keeping in mind that RAID-Anything does not equal a backup solution...

If someone were to build a RAID system for home use, yes. At a minimum RAID-5. I run both RAID-5 and RAID-6 arrays at home (an extra drive's capacity for a second parity calculation), but that's because past experience has made me paranoid about my drives' life spans. I will say, though, that I haven't had any of those drives die in the 2+ years the array has been in operation. Not bad for nine hard drives.
    edited December 2010
    Drives are cheap, RAID10 is win. If you're doing software RAID, you end up taking a processing hit doing RAID5 and 6 that gets pretty noticeable during high i/o times.

Also, yeah, don't usre RAID0 at all IMO.... and as mertesn said, RAID != backups. Ever. No matter what level you use. No level of RAID will protect you from, for instance, accidental formatting, deletion, etc. If your data is important, back it up.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I raid5 my raid0 :p
    edited December 2010
    RAID50 can be fun... if you're using a hardware controller.
    edited December 2010
    I never said RAID = backups, just that RAID 0 tends to be a fool's errand
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I have RAID 5050 at work. It's a striped RAID 5 array striped onto a striped RAID 5 array. Capacity is n - 16.
    edited December 2010
    That's just absurd.
    edited December 2010
    Don't believe me? </troll>
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Yo dawg, I herd u like redundancy so we put a RAID in yo RAID so u can I/O while u I/O?
    edited December 2010
    I believe it's, "... so you can RAID while you RAID while you RAID ... ad infinitum"
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Kwitko wrote:
    I believe it's, "... so you can RAID while you RAID while you RAID ... ad infinitum"
    Ah, I see you have a Recursive RAID array. I hear those are quite impressive.