BSOD While Installing XP

jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
edited January 2011 in Science & Tech
Having some rather interesting issues trying to get the HDD loaded with the OS and it has been a total bomb. Originally was trying to do the 32GB SSD which was formatted NTFS and it seemed to not matter what I used (two different Pro & 1 Home) but it would blue screen. Began to think it might be a HDD thing so tried to do the V'Raptor.

The problem is it doesn't seem to do it in the same place and also had several "corrupt" files issues. However the one consistency with the V'Raptor is after it gets into Win XP setup (where it is actually doing the install I guess where it goes through all the BS on how great it is) and then somewhere between 10 to 20 minutes in I get...........

WinXPLoadBSOD4NoName.jpg

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Does your XP disc include SATA drivers?

Also, this issue seems RAM/temperature-related.
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited December 2010
    Big thing I forgot to state.......all OSs are pre SP1 so I wouldn't think SATA drivers would be there. Rock and a hard place thing??

Also not sure of the temp thing as they are getting plenty of air and vdmm is on auto.......
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    You can slipstream SATA drivers into an XP disc (icrontic guide here) though I'd think you would be wasting your build's potential to go to XP instead of Windows 7 on that. You may want to burn a Memtest86+ disc and let that run on your computer to see if any memory was DOA. You can obtain that here or get a host of tools as part of UBCD.
    edited December 2010
    Tried three different sets of mem and did do memtest on the two primary ones with several passes each without error.

If I can get the SSD to work was planning to convert to Win7 as I have "new unused" 64bit version that was a gift. Right now I looking for the friggen Key that I misplaced! :O :mad2: Which most likely would have bypassed the BS I going through now..........:rolleyes2
    edited December 2010
    Good that you got a clean Memtest, while not 100%, it is a really good indicator. You should be able to install Windows 7 without a key, at least to see if your stuff is in working order or not.
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, you can get 30 days of Windows 7 functionality without a key. After that it will harass you to register and start limiting functionality.
    edited December 2010
    Okay any advantage to 64 bit over 32? Not that it really matters I guess as I only have 64bit! ;D
    edited December 2010
    Ability to support more than 4GBs of RAM and some viruses only attack well on 32-bit systems.
    edited December 2010
    Well for S & Gs I currently loading my copy of Win7 to see what happens! :hair:

After that I'm gonna get brave and try to slipstream my older XP & SP2 (or 3 - hate IP8!) to see what that does.

@ Tushon not really sure what you mean! :confused: I should try and find a 32bit copy of Win7 for when I want to do something "for real"?
    edited December 2010
    It is Official.......Win7 Ultimate 64bit loads without issue. So guess that means I will definately have to slipstream my old copies of XP if I ever expect to use them again! :rockon:
    edited December 2010
    No, leave it on 64-bit. Poorly coded viruses will only go after system32 folder, which is a different folder on 64-bit systems. Just leave it on Win7 and leave XP back in the 2000s where it belongs.
    edited December 2010
    Do not use 32-bit. It's a dead end. 64-bit is every bit as compatible, less susceptible to viruses, has better hardware support, runs just as quickly (if not faster in some cases).
    edited December 2010
    After piddleing with it for a while Win7 doesn't seem to be half bad....just have to figure out what stuff is called and where it is! ;D
    edited December 2010
    Most stuff is still there, just moved around a bit
  • edited December 2010
    just moved around a bit
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Just banned a bit.
    edited December 2010
    Just regi-banned a bit
    edited January 2011
    Or moved a byte?? Or is that byte me in the ..........?? ;D